Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2018, 08:46:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435265 Posts in 37271 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ For Sale - Wanted Ads
| |-+ For Sale Section
| | |-+ SBFTech Sponsors Specials (Moderator: Its1FastCat)
| | | |-+ Spring UPGRADE !! More than just sticking them in there.....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spring UPGRADE !! More than just sticking them in there.....  (Read 14584 times)
Thumper460
Big Block

« on: July 20, 2007, 08:19:11 pm »

SOOOooooooooo........  You know the STOCK Valve springs SUCK!!  How many times have you see and been told..." The first thing you do is change valve springs!!  WTF??  They work dont they??  they are working now.. arent they??

Well I PORT heads, yeah , yeah, you already know that!!  WELL I recieve heads to be PORTED and they might have a customers installed spring on them!!  This is good!!  The customer knows that the weaker stock units will cause " FLOAT" at rpm , and that the valve can actually BOUNCE on the seat as it closes and THAT is lost power!!  SOoooooo... up grade the springs!!  NOW the issues I have seen!!   1) stock rotators on a performance spring... or 2) the retainers are on the valves with no regard to the placement of the locking grooves on the stock valves... yep!!  THEY are different on the intake and exhaust valve... oops!!  AND..... WHAT SPRING DO I BUY THAT IS "Drop in??"

Cool... let me help!!  This is basic.... very basic!!  But the idea is there to understand... !

To help keep the valve cool, FORD installed "Rotating " retainers!! this allow the valve to turn and stay cooler!!  Problem??  1) they will break!!  2) the exhaust is way thicker than the intake!!
SOOOoooooo... FORD made the locking groove on the valve at different heights to compensate the different thickness of the rotators!! ( see pix) and they use a short and tall spring!!

IF you remove the stock springs, and install the new springs.. and use new retainers and keepers.. you will see the valve tips are the same, however the retainers are different!!  the exhaust is a lot lower than the intake!!  OOPS!!  This means the exhaust ( the shorter) has a lot more pressure than the higher intake!!  and IF you measure the retainers... you will see the taller intake valve retainer is at 1.800 , and that is where the springs are "supposed " to be set in... WTF about that crunched up exhaust?????  You can get an offset retainer.. you can shim the longer intake to the shorter exhaust installed height ( which increases the spring pressure set in at a shorter height) or you can use a "offset " Keeper ..  Spring pressures are "supposed" to be the same on all valves!!  But just dropping IN the springs, isn't correct.  Not even close, on the E7/GT40 heads !!

What spring to buy!!  You search and find a double spring.. it says needs machine work to install!!  WTF??  On those double spring sets the inner spring is so small that the valve guide needs to be machined to a smaller .500 size, so the smaller ( dia ) valve seal will fit inside the inner spring!!  WHY "they" do that?? dont know!!

Leson??  1) make sure you have the "Installed spring height correct!!  2) Make sure you have new retainers and keepers...   3)Buy springs that dont require Machine work!!

NOW... the pitch!!  IF you need springs, spring kits, for your E7s, GT40's or what ever.. let me know!!  I sell a spring kit that DOES Drop IN!, It comes with off set keepers for the differance in the locking grooves, they will carry almost ALL the OTS Hyd roller performance cams!!  IF you have special needs ( lol in springs!!) I can get that also!!  Hyd.. hyd roller.. solid flat tappit... Solid roller.. give me a shout!!  and stop all that ...Cant find drop in spring " shit!!  cool?? 

I have valves also... OH and I port heads!!!!!  LOL

Just me...............................................................

Thumper

* Valve lock grooves.jpg (79.68 KB, 599x449 - viewed 2039 times.)

* Keepers.jpg (175.77 KB, 599x449 - viewed 918 times.)

* Dual springs best.jpg (129.03 KB, 599x449 - viewed 844 times.)

* Sprg Valve keepers 1.jpg (130.52 KB, 599x449 - viewed 759 times.)

Thumper Heads
" heads winner on PINKS 07-12 "
67 Fastback Mustang ( original owner) bored and stroked 460....  SOLD!  Long rod 302 now working.  5.4 rods BRC Pistons, 2MA 3.00 inch crankshaft... oh and dual quads. Aussie 2V Heads and a BOAT Load of Nitrous!!
Working on Mexican Block 363 CI .  Old School for an OLD Gearhead.

When you are too OLD to shift a 4 spd... get out!!
1988montecarloss
4 Banger

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:49:32 pm »

could i use the trick flow spring kit on my GT40p heads since they come with their own retainers? or no?

and do you have a link to your spring kit?

thanks!

this is the trick flow kit im talking about:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/TFS-2500100/Trick-Flow-50l-302-Mustang-Valve-Springs-Upgrade-Kit

1988 monte carlo ss
1989 mustang lx 5.0
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:21:17 pm »

could i use the trick flow spring kit on my GT40p heads since they come with their own retainers? or no?

Yes, the TFS kit will work on GTP heads. Or you can use the Ford Racing B50 retainers and choose your own springs.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6514-B50/

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Rob50lx
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 11:20:57 pm »

and do you have a link to your spring kit?

thanks!

this is the trick flow kit im talking about:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/TFS-2500100/Trick-Flow-50l-302-Mustang-Valve-Springs-Upgrade-Kit

I ordered a spring package from this guy for my stock gt40 heads.  I haven't run the engine yet; but, he was very helpful and answered several emails before I ever purchased parts.  The parts came well packaged and labeled.

http://www.alexsparts.com/categories/FORD%2C-SMALL-BLOCK-302-HO-%26-GT40P%2C-GT40/

Rob

93 coupe, Griggs GR-40 front,  EVM Trilink and MM PHB.  Brembo front brakes, Cobra rear brakes.  3.73's and GForce T5. 347 C.I., Trick Flow heads, Canfield EFI intake, FAST 4 Barrel TB, 42# FMS Injectors, C.I. cam,  Hooker SC 1 3/4" LT w/ 3" x-pipe and 3" tailpipes, AEM EMS, AEM EPM Distributorless ignition with LS1 waste spark coils, Dual PLX SM-AFR WB's.
1988montecarloss
4 Banger

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:46:59 am »

Yes, the TFS kit will work on GTP heads. Or you can use the Ford Racing B50 retainers and choose your own springs.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6514-B50/

alright, thanks!

1988 monte carlo ss
1989 mustang lx 5.0
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: