Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2018, 06:49:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435265 Posts in 37271 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Off-Topic Bullshittin'
| |-+ Pics Pics and Videos Videos
| | |-+ More Jeep work
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More Jeep work  (Read 10291 times)
Hackfabrication
Small Block

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 08:45:14 pm »

Thanks!  There are a few of us out there in Jeepland that have put the SBF into our rigs, but we are greatly outnumbered by the chevy crowd.  I plan on doing a little of everything with the Jeep.  It was my plan (at one time) to trailer it out to the west coast and do the Rubicon.  That's not going to happen at gasoline approaching $4 (this thing takes premium).  So, I'll probably do the stuff in MI, PA, TN, etc that I can easily get to.  I've got it set up with a decent 90:1 crawl ratio so mild/moderate stuff will be fine.  (And I've been up to Silver Lake a couple of times...The last time was when I broke the collarbone/ribs.  Second hill beyond Test Hill, right side.  Went to stop at the top...No backside to the dune.) 

Right now I'm just itching to get the dang thing on the road.  Which is probably a year away.  After the exhaust gets bent, I've still got radiator/shroud, brake booster, driveshafts, and front winch bumper.  Then paint.  Not to mention a few other things that I've noticed that have to be 're-done' before the final assembly.

I keep praying that 'Overhaulin' will steal it one day and in a week's time, I'll get it back ready to roll.

"In the end...It's all Hack."
norm
4 Banger

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 10:17:02 pm »

have you ever thought about building your own exhaust?i built my own on my bronco and it was pretty easy.muffler shop exhausts aren't that great and they really stab ya on the price.i think i used 6,3" mandrel bent 45's and some 3"straight pipe from the muffler shop and built it in my garage.from the look of things you could do it pretty easily.
Hackfabrication
Small Block

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 09:47:36 am »

I don't own a welder.  I have access to a welder, my  son's Miller 175.  I also don't have a hoist.  I know, not a necessity, but I hate working on my back. 

This is one of those jobs that I'm going to leave to the pro's with their stock of materials, mandrel benders, experience, and hoists.  I tell them what I want, and let them do their thing.  The plan is for a 2.5" headpipes, 'Y'd into a 3" muffler, then out the back with a 3" pipe.  Unless they have a better idea.  I could 'probably' get by with a 2.5" tailpipe if necessary, but I have room for the 3". 

It's probably going to Keith's in Westland, as most of the car guys use him for custom exhausts.  And he's a short 'tow' from my house.  Budget for the exhaust is $500, so I believe I can get what I want for that.  If not....Plan B.

norm
4 Banger

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 11:24:20 am »

that place can mandrel bend exhaust ?thats the only way to go.i didn't know there were any places around that have a mandrel bender.when i said exhaust shop's aren't that great i was thinking of crush bent pipe,which really chokes things up.i built mine on my back ,don't have a hoist either.

it took about two hours to get the first side tacked together and about 45 minutes to do the other side after i had an idea of what i was doing.then about a half hour at work TIGing it all together.this spring i'm going to do a 3 1/2" exhaust with some better flowing mufflers (have super 40's  now).
Hackfabrication
Small Block

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 07:38:30 pm »

No, Keith's doesn't mandrel bend pipe.  I believe there is another place up around Novi that does, just didn't check them out.  I'm not overy concerned with the compression bends, because I'm not looking to squeeze every ounce of performance out of my build.  My primary concern right now is to get the dang exhaust bent up so I can try and fired (hopefully not in a literal meaning) up the motor.

Hackfabrication
Small Block

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 12:05:56 pm »

Here's some pic of the exhaust system that Keith's Muffler installed on my 5.0 equipt CJ5:

2 1/2" head pipes running into a 3" Turbo muffler and out a 3" tailpipe.  I don't think there will be any issues with restrictions.  More likely I'm praying that I'll have some backpressure. 

Bad Karma
Stroked Small Block

Notch or Nothing!!!

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 03:48:19 am »

Wow...I'm not really a jeep guy, but my buddy has a 70 cj5 that's just sitting in his backyard and..

Your work makes me wanna scoop it up and drop in a 302/351.

Great job there man!,
Ivan

Vibrant Red '91 LX 5.0, Notch, 306ci, T5, 3.73's, 24# Injectors, Expo Intake, 75mm TB, Underdrive Crank Pulley, Taylor Trunk Batt, Weld Rodlites...workin on the 5 lug swap next...Cobra R's standing by!
Hackfabrication
Small Block

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 06:46:09 am »

Thanks!  Just need to get the powersteering lines and the radiator before I try and start it.  Hope to have that done before 2008 arrives.

MattMans88
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

The Real Blue Devil

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 01:02:22 pm »

Gettin closer Hack, and it's looking real good man.  Did the exhaust end up fitting within your budget?  I can't wait till you get the bugger going, can you say video??  Grin

"I'm proud of you fellas. You all kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious cock fight."

"What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing. How 'bout we get you in your p.j.'s and we hit the hay."

"Go fuck yourself, San Diego."

-Ron Burgundy
Hackfabrication
Small Block

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007, 07:10:11 am »

Thanks Matt, yup $356 for the exhaust.  Well under the $500 'budget' I had originally set for it. 

Next week I'll be testing the fuel system and waiting for the radiator and p/s lines to show up.  When I get them all installed it'll be; Clear the driveway, hand the wife the fire extinguisher, have the local fire department on standby (Plan B)...Cross my fingers, hit the starter, and try and get the motor running.  Brakes and driveshafts after that...Then some vids of it moving under it's own power.  Something it hasn't done since I've owned it.

Hackfabrication
Small Block

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 09:26:11 am »

No progress...Just some 'bling' to keep the plug wires off the steering shaft and headers:

The wires on the passenger side weren't long enough to use the loom, but they weren't the same concern as the driver side.  I'll fix them when teardown happens next year.

Hydroboost system and radiator is due this month...At least that's what the places that took my CC# say....

petey156
2stroke

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 12:09:35 am »

what did you bolt the clutch bell crank to on the engine side.?   thses pics look good!!!
Hackfabrication
Small Block

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2007, 12:19:40 pm »

Mock up of the clutch bracket:

Only change was I couldn't 'through bolt' the pivot ball to the bracket.  I ended up having it welded.  The whole assembly bolts to the rear of the bellhousing, ala OEM Ford.  You can 'just' see the OEM Ford bracket in this picture:

It's a heavy stamping, but I couldn't 'make it work' with the stock Jeep Z-bar.  And the stock Ford stuff would've been a real pain to adapt.

The custom 4-row radiator from ExtremeRadiator.com has been at the house for over two weeks...Still waiting on the hydroboost.  Can't put the radiator in until I plumb the steering gear.

66Galaxie
Big Block

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 08:57:05 pm »

Hack, where are you?
We need an update!

66 Galaxie 500 / 393 W stroker, Victor jr intake, World Products heads, Pro Systems carb, Lentech AOD, 2600 stall, 4.11 gears, traction lok
Hackfabrication
Small Block

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2016, 08:45:49 pm »

Hack, where are you?
We need an update!

Well....   There weren't any updates from 2008-2013.  I just let the project sit in my garage taking up space and giving the wife something to biotch about....

I wrestled with the decision to get rid of it or finish it.  I knew that I was at the point I couldn't do a lot of the body work, but I just didn't have the time to tear it all down and take it somewhere.  Sooooo....

I decided to find a shop that could finish it for me.  They picked it up November 2013.

It's been gone for almost three years.  But I finally picked it up last week:

Drove it home, then out to my lake house where it will spend the winter.  Put about 100 miles on it this past weekend.  The left rear brake wanted to stick.  Blue smoke and smell sticking.  But I think it was just a lazy wheel cylinder that finally decided to loosen up.  Or brake shoe that needed to be 'worked in'.  It didn't cause any problems on Sunday.  It stops fantastic with the 11" rear drums, front disks, and hydro-boost.  It has a small oil leak (engine, trans, transfer case???), that I haven't had the time to track down yet.  I'm hoping it's just a dried out seal that will swell up and stop the drip.  It wasn't dripping as much on Sunday, as it was on Thursday.  Considering the engine has been sitting since 2006, and the transmission/tcase a few years longer, anything is possible.

It does run strong.  And sounds good too.  I'm getting a stellar 12-14 mpg at speeds under 60 mph with the 4.56 gearing and 32" tires. 

More pics to follow, as it needs a few 'little things' done (that I didn't want to pay shop labor rates to do).  And it needs a serious cleaning.  Lots of dust from sitting.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: