Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 10:37:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
410837 Posts in 35151 Topics by 8752 Members
Latest Member: gtcoupe65
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Off-Topic Bullshittin'
| |-+ Introduce Yourself
| | |-+ Stop in and introduce yourself
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stop in and introduce yourself  (Read 105280 times)
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1065 on: October 09, 2011, 11:23:05 am »

Welcome

What are you working on now?

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 2" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624/.609 251/256 108, Broader Performance RmV/B under a C6/4R100 behind a 8"/9" billet 5500 stall, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, M/T ET radial streets 315/60-15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html

Irwindale Speedway 1/8 mile (1st time at a track!) = 7.647 @ 90.78mph with a crappy 1.878 sixty foot (3850# race weight)

Present day Merc = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Except that engine building (properly) is a labor intensive industry.  Who do you think does all the measuring and machining?  Little engine shop fairies?  Not to mention assembly, mock up and parts fitting.

At Woody's level you are not just paying for his labor but for his skill set as well.

Thanks FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
429CJSleeper
Big Block

« Reply #1066 on: October 09, 2011, 05:41:44 pm »

Hello,
     New old guy (age 61) from east central Ne.Former crop duster,A&P mechanic.
  Have been lifelong Ford nut,have owned '69 Torino Cobra 428CJ,'63 Galaxie,Mustangs and about every other Ford car or truck.
    Helped oldest son with dirt track racing stock cars and modifieds,running 351W in standard and stroker configurations.   Looking forward to sbftech!

Welcome

I may need to pick your brain!  There are just a few of us dirt track guys here; and I know the stock configuration drives the alum roller head guys bonkers - but they sure know their stuff.  Looking forward to hearing more about your builds.  - Vic

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

This is why structural engineers need to stay the fuck away from anything mechanical.   Furlongs per fortnight & other such nonsense mxracer652
Rebel Racing
6 Banger

« Reply #1067 on: November 10, 2011, 02:39:04 am »

Hi Guys,

Recently joined the group and thought I should introduce myself to the board.  Been playing around with small block Fords since 1993 when I bought my first (and only) new car--a 5.0 Mustang LX.  Over the years the car evolved into a full on drag car.  Currently it runs 9.10@152.40  If anyone is interested, our website is in my sig. line.  Fast forward to Nov. of last year when the Wife told me that she wanted a fun summer cruiser--another Mustang.  After a lot of searching we found a '68 Convertible.  Originally a 6 cyl with a C4, it has been converted to a '89 302 with an AOD and a full Heidts front suspension.  I am about to start a HCI swap on it and will likely have a few questions for the experts.  I have routinely changed head gaskets on the race car and set the valve lash for the solid cam but I have never done a cam change.  Anyway, I've rambled on long enough--loooking forward to participating with everyone.

Thanks,

Please visit our website Smiley

REBEL RACING

http://www.rebelracing.8k.com
voodid
4 Banger

« Reply #1068 on: November 14, 2011, 03:10:23 am »

Thanks to Joel for sorting my forum access quickly.

My name is Josh, and I've followed ford strokers on fb for a while now. I look forward to eventually switching out my stock 5.0 for a fs mill.

I 'm 35, and live in Covington, LA - just a bit north of New Orleans, across the lake.  So I'm a Saints super fan.

I've owned my 88 gt for about 5 years now and have bigger plans for it than my wallet can generally support, but hey, I like to dream big.  I've done nearly all the work my car has seen since I picked it up pretty much bone stock + cai).

So far, it's been:

5 lug swap + chrome 17" bullets (245 + 275)
PA mini starter
Water pump
MSD coil/cap/etc

So I've done a little, but have much more in mind. I've the top half of the motor off ATM, but I'll make a post in the project section with that.  I look forward to chatting with everyone.

-voodid
fauj
2stroke

« Reply #1069 on: November 27, 2011, 02:09:37 pm »

Hi everyone.

When I was a young fellow I was a machinist apprentist doing mostly tool and die work, but the boss built race engines as a hobby, so I got some exposure to that. Later I joined the USMC and never made it back to that part of the world.

I started life as a Mopar guy, but have turned to the Ford side for the last 10 or so years.  Grin  In a strange bit of irony, my buddy that exposed me to Ford's has now become an almost exclusive Mopar guy, with the exception of his 73' Cleveland powered 'Stang. 

I have owned several SBF's during that time, including the one I am going through for my 60' F100.  I got a good deal on the engine and the truck it was attached to as far as that goes.  It's a 5.0 from an 89' F150.  It has had some work done to it in the past.  It is a 30 over short block with GT40 heads.  I have it torn apart and checking all clearances, installing a new cam/lifter set (non-roller), new oil pump and seals. I am not looking for crazy power, just a good, fun, reliable daily driver.   I will be putting a carb on it when I get ready to put it in the 60.

I am here to learn...
jtmustang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1070 on: November 27, 2011, 02:13:15 pm »

welcome post some pics...

me and my bud are really into the old ford pickups..i have had a few and he has currently  a 60' ford f100 shortbox,big back window,351 clev.,4v,.. and a 59 that we put on a 70's highboy frame with some 39" swamps and a 428 with cj heads..... Naughty
jmeineck
4 Banger

« Reply #1071 on: December 03, 2011, 12:24:12 pm »

Hey Woody,

Jeff Meinecke from Saint Helens Oregon. Man I wish I would have found this site before I dropped the block off at Portland Eng Rebuilders and bought the stroker kit for them to setup my short block. You probably could have saved me some money 

Anyway, I wanted to say Hi and I have a lot of reading to do before I open a build thread. I won't pick up the short block from (PER) until the end of Feb so I have time. The first project will be a Ford Ranger conversion to a V8. After seeing that Liberator block on your Fordstroker.com I have an idea for the next project ( a 400 to 500 HP Ranger 2wd Hot Rod  Cheesy)

Too Old to know better, Too Young to care! Going for and V8 Ford Ranger.
63lane2dr
4 Banger

« Reply #1072 on: December 05, 2011, 07:03:51 pm »

Hello All,
  New member here. Ran into the site and have been poking around and thought it was time I joined. I have had Ford's all my life but this one is near and dear to me. It is my first car, I have kept it all these years (34) and now it is time to get it on the road again. It is a 63 Fairlane 2 door sedan. Plans are a 331 with a C-4 and a gear vendor OD. I am going to keep my eyes and ears open and try to learn something from all of you. Thanks, Rick
93ccw
4 Banger

« Reply #1073 on: December 09, 2011, 07:21:51 pm »

What's up!
                          My name is Jason and I have a 93 coupe. I've  had it for about 10 years.  I'm currently in line for a dart 363.  Can't wait!!!!

* IMAG0004.jpg (2366.13 KB, 3264x1952 - viewed 66 times.)
DAK
2stroke

« Reply #1074 on: December 11, 2011, 08:35:37 am »

Hello.  I'm Dani from Argentina.
Excuse me for not writing sooner. For the language, use translator.
I have a '80 302 block (by van). '66 289 heads. Edelbrock camshaft, intake manifold (rpm) and 4bb 600cfm.
It's in my '72 F100.
Thanks for letting me
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #1075 on: December 11, 2011, 08:58:55 am »

Welcome ..... Bienvenido!

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
86 ranger
4 Banger

« Reply #1076 on: December 18, 2011, 10:00:24 pm »

Hello guys and gals this joel from good old Montana.  Been lurking for some time. You guys have it made there isn't a drag strip within four hours of where I live.  Have an 86 notch that will be a hot 
street car. Last car was an 69 cougar, there wasn't many great hot rod parts for the fords in the early 80's so looking forward to all the new goodies.

ThunderChicken76
4 Banger

« Reply #1077 on: January 08, 2012, 05:28:47 pm »

Hello everyone, My name is Andy Nichols. First I would like to say THANKS!!! I have been reading this site for about a year now. I joined a month or two ago. I have been reading as much as I can. You guys have ALOT of knowledge to absorb in a year. WOW! Again Thanks guys!

Alittle about me:
I am 35 years old.  I work at a body shop. I really enjoy working on cars. Also I race circle track. I have been racing two years now, Been helping my team for about 5 years.
I am pretty good under the cars. Under the hood, not so much! That is ok though. This is where you guys come in to play!
All of my teamates have chevys Dissapointed I myself have a 87 T-Bird with a 302,aod,8.8.
In the class that I run. We have to have factory intake and manifolds.
The 302 is out of a 96 explorer. GT40 heads, Cam is factory gt not explorer. (that Idea came from you guys) The aod is one I had.

Now I have 2 351 blocks and I want to build one. One is a 72 block, the other is early 90's. This is where I can use some help. Also I have the 72 heads. The heads have to be factory also.
 72 or early 90's block? And are these heads good for me?

I have alot more ?'s But got to go now.  Again Thanks       
429CJSleeper
Big Block

« Reply #1078 on: January 09, 2012, 07:02:45 am »

All of my teamates have chevys Dissapointed I myself have a 87 T-Bird with a 302,aod,8.8.
In the class that I run. We have to have factory intake and manifolds.
The 302 is out of a 96 explorer. GT40 heads, Cam is factory gt not explorer. (that Idea came from you guys) The aod is one I had.

Now I have 2 351 blocks and I want to build one. One is a 72 block, the other is early 90's. This is where I can use some help. Also I have the 72 heads. The heads have to be factory also.
 72 or early 90's block? And are these heads good for me?

Whats Up Andy!  Man, I feel your pain.  It's amazing how those bowtie guys have managed to damn near corner the dirt circle track market...  I also run a 351W; 71 block, 72 heads & 73 intake.  I found out (the hard way) that I was also running a 302 cam.    From what I've read & heard; you should seriously consider keeping a 302 in your car.  it's about 40 pounds lighter...  If you decise that you really want the 351 - I'd suggest the '72.  2 questions though: (1) can you provide a like to your track rules (will you)... (2) Does your Techman know anything about Fords? - that is the most important question...

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

This is why structural engineers need to stay the fuck away from anything mechanical.   Furlongs per fortnight & other such nonsense mxracer652
ThunderChicken76
4 Banger

« Reply #1079 on: January 10, 2012, 06:46:46 pm »

429cjsleeper,
Yes sir. That is so true about the chevys and circle track! BTW I run asphalt.

I have a few problems with the track right now. Really not sure if I will be racing there again this year. They are not sure if they are going to reopen.   At our track, they call my class Thunderstocks. At the other two tracks that I would be able to run, I would be a Purestock. So my issue is tech! Not sure what I am in store for this year. I will post the rules as soon as I get the chance. But what I can tell you now is. They are vague on fords. They say all fords can run a 351.... It doesnt say anything else about fords! I asked last year if I could run a clevlend and they said that they couldnt say no. But if I bring one that they will put it in the rules so I couldnt this year.
My thing is the rule that says 73 cc heads. REALLY? How am I to do this with a SBF? 

Sorry gotta some things done. I will get those rules for you to look at.   
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 78 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: