Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2018, 03:59:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Cylinder Heads
| | |-+ Valve Stem Mod to stop valve drop in chamber
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Valve Stem Mod to stop valve drop in chamber  (Read 481 times)
TKFD
Small Block

« on: July 21, 2018, 07:04:59 pm »

I  just had a PAC Beehive spring break - #4 cyl exhaust on a TFS 11R 190 head. Luckily no collateral damage. Not sure what caused it. PAC dealer says these springs are designed for high RPM and anything lower than 3K causes issues, as they are not in optimal frequency like driving around town normally or highway cruising. Im kinda not buying it.

Im replacing them with full new set to start a fresh, even though motor hasn't done a lot of work.

Beehive theory is great (lower weight, better spring design) The one thing that spooks me with them is if ones breaks nothing to prevent valve dropping in like a dual can (still limited I know, but there is a safety net there).

But anyhow...I was thinking would there be anyway to slide on a brass or copper collar 1-1.5mm above guides, to act as a stopper on the valve going into chamber if the spring does fail. Obviously loss of power and a bit of a racket from floppy spring, but these could be the tell-tale signs to shut down. Most (if not all) collateral damage is from that darn valve dropping into chamber.

Putting it on might prove to be problematic, as obviously go to be done when valve in head, but something like a soft brass or copper or alloy sleeve, with low resistance (ie, easily slide over valve shaft and easily removed).  Could be secured by very small amount high quality epoxy (similar to jb weld). I woud do the job this time with head still on. Remving the valve could be a PITA but would cross that bridge when get to it, and generally when valve needs to come out its a head rebuild anyway.

Whats everyone thoughts  Asking
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: