Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2018, 07:41:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435155 Posts in 37248 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Small Block Windsor
| | |-+ Windsor Sr heads
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windsor Sr heads  (Read 344 times)
gmatt9858
Big Block

« on: April 05, 2018, 07:01:34 pm »

Wasn't part of a plan, these kind of fell into my lap, brand new, never used, too cheap to pass up. Anyway, these are the discontinued heads with the I-051 casting number. 2.02, 1.60 valves, dual valve springs. I'd like to use them if I can, I've got a couple short blocks in need of rebuild. They are drilled/tapped for 7/16" rocker studs. What length studs would I need? I looked on Summit and there's a lot of different length 7/16 studs. Any recommendations are appreciated. Also looking at roller rockers and guide plates.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 11:21:03 pm »

If it were me, I'd mock the valvetrain up with a piece of all thread. With the cam on it's base circle, it will be easy to measure for the correct length stud.

You can still buy the studs that came on them, but I'd recommend that you measure for the correct length. Many of the head assemblies that I've seen came with studs that were shorter than they should be.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 07:31:37 am »

If it were me, I'd mock the valvetrain up with a piece of all thread. With the cam on it's base circle, it will be easy to measure for the correct length stud.

You can still buy the studs that came on them, but I'd recommend that you measure for the correct length. Many of the head assemblies that I've seen came with studs that were shorter than they should be.

Agreed.  It's better to err on the side of too long, than too short.  lol  I've often had to buy Big Block Chevy studs to get them long enough.  I don't think there's really any such thing as too long...  at least when it comes to rocker studs.  lol

In a pinch, I've placed washers under the stud to make them stand up taller. 

In the early days, there were basically two competitive heads available...  the Windsor Sr. and the early High Port.  Which was faster, depended upon who was porting them.  (no CNC Ford heads back then)  They are not a bad platform, and have decent potential... but will not compete with a modern, CNC ported AFR or High Port. 

Good Luck!

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 04:34:39 pm »

Oh yeah. Those heads don't use stock spacing guide plates. World #830460 is the correct ones, if you can find them. Maybe contact World Products directly or Bill Mitchell Products.

If not, you will have to use adjustable guide plates. Comp, Isky, and a few others offer them.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
gmatt9858
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 05:29:32 pm »

Thank you for the replies. Good info and tips.
gmatt9858
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 12:46:09 pm »

Next question....on a 306 these would need a custom cam to run well? I'm assuming these are 200cc intake ports.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 03:51:42 pm »

Next question....on a 306 these would need a custom cam to run well? I'm assuming these are 200cc intake ports.

Need? No.

Good idea? Sure. But its never a bad idea, if you want to make the best of things.

Those heads don't flow or make power like most other aftermarket heads of similar size. If you want to put the time into them, they responded pretty well to porting. The World heads that I've dealt with also had a fair amount of core shift, requiring some blending and shaping.

I honestly don't get it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: