Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2018, 02:22:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435265 Posts in 37271 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ Questions on 351w build
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions on 351w build  (Read 1483 times)
Frosty32
4 Banger

« on: April 01, 2018, 08:41:31 pm »

I traded my falcon I had for an 82 Mustang GT that had a 351w in it. The kid lost bearing messed up crank and took chunks out of bottom of cylinder walls. Guessing that block is shit now. I have another engine that I am going to be getting looked at and checked out to see if useable. The car ran in the 11s I was told but can't verify. The engine had windsor jr heads on it with comp 1.6 rockers and springs set up for comp 35-250-4 cam and a vic jr intake. Has 4.10 8.8 in the rear and a c4 tranny.

Questions are....

1. Since engine is being rebuilt should I stroke it out to 393 or leave it stock?
2. If build back to stock should I use the heads as they are or should I have them ported?
3. If I go stroker (I am on a budget) would the heads be good the way they are?
4. I need to run on pump gas so how much dish would I need on pistons?
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 09:31:25 pm »

I suggest stroker kit and upgrade heads when you saved up for it.
The cost will nearly be a wash.

It'll still run like a 302 until new heads and cam to bring it altogether.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 10:20:29 pm »

Opposed to the 393, I'd look at a 508. The cost difference is minimal, but the 408 holds every advantage.

It has a lighter crank, lighter pistons, better rod journal, and is easier to balance. And thats in addition to the 15 more cubic inches.

Those heads are small for a 351, and extremely small for a stroker Windsor. But a larger but otherwise similar engine will still make more power with them than a smaller one.

The final cubic inch, chamber volume, and cam choice will dictate what compression is required, and what piston volume will be needed.

If you can pocket port the heads yourself, go for it. But I wouldn't sink much money into them. They just don't have much ultimate potential, compared to many other designs.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Frosty32
4 Banger

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 04:50:08 pm »

Main reason looking at 393 if I chose to stroke it is budget. I have a block and I have the stronger truck rods already. Was thinking that would leave a set of pistons and a stroker crank to by and then balance and machine work, assemble and go.

l am just making a street car that may see the track every now and then so I don't really expect to spin the engine above 6500 max ever. Shifting will probably be set at 6000. I think the truck rods would handle that if put ARP bolts in them.

If just do a rebuild at .03 over with hypereutectic pistons stock truck rods what can I expect out of this combination?
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 05:12:45 pm »

Main reason looking at 393 if I chose to stroke it is budget. I have a block and I have the stronger truck rods already. Was thinking that would leave a set of pistons and a stroker crank to by and then balance and machine work, assemble and go.

l am just making a street car that may see the track every now and then so I don't really expect to spin the engine above 6500 max ever. Shifting will probably be set at 6000. I think the truck rods would handle that if put ARP bolts in them.

Many of the cheaper 393 cranks are known to have balance problems, requiring expensive mallory metal to get it done. Using cheaper (heavier) pistons makes the problem even worse. I've heard of "budget" 393's requiring balance jobs that cost well over $400. And after all that, they were still stuck with cheap parts.

By the time you buy the ARP bolts, have them installed, and the rods machined, you are over 2/3's of the cost of a  set of aftermarket I beam rods.

When looking at 393 pistons, remember that many regulator 302 pistons won't clear the crankshaft and that many will have too much compression for pump gas.

By the time that you are done building a 393, the cost is often a wash with a 408.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
jtmustang
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 05:58:37 pm »

Good advice from juice.

If your gonna go that far build the 408 and donít look back..

But those heads will work but are better suited to a 302 or such..a stroked Windsor totally deserves a better head..

Budget build Iíd stick to a warmed over .030....-357- with those heads and good cam,intake etc....

knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 06:17:05 pm »

"budget" and "stroker" shouldn't really be used together. 

if you can't afford to do a stroker right (good parts, much better heads, etc) just do a rebuild of what you have and save up for a more powerful build later.

don't forget to add the cost of things like a torque converter and possible trans rebuild to the stroker.

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
Frosty32
4 Banger

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 06:05:12 pm »

I have a block to send off and get checked out. If it is useable then i will just build it to 357 and work from there. I will be getting subframe connectors put in soon. Gas i think is usually 92 maybe 93 but its limited around here. The heads will be getting checked out at same time as the block. I was told had springs swapped to match the cam so i will have those checked out also. Do i need the forged rods if i used the truck rods with arp bolts? As far as cam if i swap to roller and retrofit this block then what cam suggestions do you have
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 06:32:15 pm »

The factory rods are plenty strong for an average street engine. Just try to avoid putting too much money into them.

If you decide to swap to roller (which is a good idea), do it the correct way. Use link bar lifters, not a reduced base cam with factory lifters. The retrofit setups have been known to have problems.

Done correctly, the camshaft should be one of the final decisions made. After any cylinder head modifications are made, compression ratio decided, etc.

I honestly don't get it.

Frosty32
4 Banger

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 12:44:05 am »

What are the procomp 3037 heads like? There is a set near me. Also if sold the windsor jr heads how much should i sell them for? It would be heads camshaft lifters and rockers.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 06:06:31 am »

What are the procomp 3037 heads like?

Casting/machining quality is shit and the valvetrain equipment used is typically junk.

I honestly don't get it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: