Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2018, 04:36:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435266 Posts in 37271 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ 69 351 Windsor heads make over 400hp to rear wheels?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 69 351 Windsor heads make over 400hp to rear wheels?  (Read 7147 times)
6904stang
4 Banger

« on: March 19, 2018, 02:29:14 am »

A frieend of mine has all the tools and machines to machine my heads to whatever I need, I was just curious if any of you guys have ran the 1969 351 Windsor stock heads after porting and bigger valves if you were able to get over 400hp out of the 351 with supporting components? If so, what size valves you use? What all did you do to the heads? I like the stock look of cast iron in an engine and wanting to run low 11s in the 1/4 mile with it would be cool to say I did it with the stock heads and block still.

1969 351 windsor bored .030 over fully balanced internally stock rods, kb flat top pistons, erson 1.6 roller rockers and dual valve springs solid lifters flat tappet 284/294 duration 533/555 lift crane cam,  stock heads moroso valve covers 1 3/4 hooker headers 3 inch exhaust holley dominator duel plane intake holley 4150 750 cfm double pumper carb.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 03:50:51 am »

Unless your car is heavy or very inefficient, it doesn't take 400 RWHP to run low 11s. A decent car should do it with 400 FWHP.

Your RWHP goal isn't very reasonable with factory Windsor heads.

However, I think low 11s are feasible with the right combination.

If you just want a stock block and heads, do a 408 Clevor with factory 4V heads. But thats a whole different story.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 11:44:24 am »

Factory heads are too small for a 302, let alone a 351.  They are the #1 place to pick up power with a small block Ford.  You really do need to go with aftermarket heads with any kind of performance build.

Good Luck

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:14:53 pm »

Your cylinderhead machinist can answer all your questions.

Just putting that out here.
Good luck with your build

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
BCOWANWHEELS
6 Banger

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:02:45 pm »

BEST MY MEMORY SERVES ME 1.94 / 1.60 VALVES IN A 69  351W HEAD. I HAVE A SET OF THEM I TOOK OFF A 351 IN 69. HAD THEM ALL THESE YEARS

I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 08:49:52 pm »

You can physically fit a bigger valve in the head than the port can be opened to support.

I had a set of E7s with 2.00/1.58 valves in them, not that it mattered.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
6904stang
4 Banger

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 12:06:30 am »

Gotcha, I was just wondering and trying to save money to put else where if possible. Thanks guys. Do any of you know what heads if any would work still using my hooker headers that I used with the original heads?

1969 351 windsor bored .030 over fully balanced internally stock rods, kb flat top pistons, erson 1.6 roller rockers and dual valve springs solid lifters flat tappet 284/294 duration 533/555 lift crane cam,  stock heads moroso valve covers 1 3/4 hooker headers 3 inch exhaust holley dominator duel plane intake holley 4150 750 cfm double pumper carb.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 02:45:04 am »

Gotcha, I was just wondering and trying to save money to put else where if possible.

Having done it, I can tell you that porting and modifying stock heads doesn't save money.

Do any of you know what heads if any would work still using my hooker headers that I used with the original heads?

There are several that use the stock exhaust port and height. Its hard to beat the various sized Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads.

I honestly don't get it.

BirdMan
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 04:26:40 am »

Cast iron Windsor Sr heads.

Son's 412W Build Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,19018.0.html
Son's '64 Falcon Performance Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,25183.0.html
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 12:00:04 pm »

Cast iron Windsor Sr heads.

Ditto, there are several cast iron and lower end heads that have the identical port bolt pattern etc. Any of them should be very close to the old 69 head, some of them better, the price to build them is the only difference, and performance is similar.

The many aftermarket AL heads using the same ports do run better than the lower stuff(GT40 included), but they cost a few hundred more, plus they almost all require adjustable rockers. Most people want the roller rockers, but budget or very mild builds do just fine with stock rockers on pedestals.

The Twisted Wedge and similar $1200ish complete heads will make enough more power that you'll feel it, but the cost is more. Those are the main heads people get into, and after those you're above the $1500 level. That's where most of the advertising of power figures comes from, from those far better than stock heads. The key is to find something like the TFS TW heads used, priced so when done you only have $300 or so more than regular stockish mild heads. Those deals don't turn up often, and now people see lots of knock off heads from China, and jump at them for the "low" prices. Fixing those properly to work decently, can often cost more than the quality TFS or AFR head(new).

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
BCOWANWHEELS
6 Banger

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 09:27:21 pm »

SEEINGS YOU,VE GOT THE 69 351 HEADS HERES WHAT I,D DO.

1.94 /1.60 SWIRL POLISHED NECKED DOWN STAINLESS SI VALVES @9.00 EACH
POCKET PORT BOWLS
HARD EXH. VALVE SEATS
MILL EM FLAT
SCREW IN STUDS
GASKET MATCH INT-EXH PORTS
VITON SEALS
SPRINGS TO MATCH CAM
GUIDE PLATES

DONT SELL THEM HEADS SHORT THERE THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK  JMO

I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 09:35:04 pm »

There is no way in hell that I'd throw that much money into a set of factory Windsor heads.

I honestly don't get it.

knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 09:54:04 pm »

better off with box stock vic jrs.

i'd never let owning a set of headers decide which heads i ran, either.

if you want 400hp at the flywheel, you need at least 200cfm through the whole intake tract (rule of thumb, not a rigorously determined requirement).

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 10:50:58 pm »

SEEINGS YOU,VE GOT THE 69 351 HEADS HERES WHAT I,D DO.

1.94 /1.60 SWIRL POLISHED NECKED DOWN STAINLESS SI VALVES @9.00 EACH
POCKET PORT BOWLS
HARD EXH. VALVE SEATS
MILL EM FLAT
SCREW IN STUDS
GASKET MATCH INT-EXH PORTS
VITON SEALS
SPRINGS TO MATCH CAM
GUIDE PLATES

DONT SELL THEM HEADS SHORT THERE THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK  JMO
That's 600.00 to 800.00 dollars.

600.00 more buys less weight and double if not more in performance in a set of new aluminum heads.
Buy them used in good condition may be a wash in cost at around 800.00.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
al2
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 12:25:07 am »

What he said.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: