Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2018, 05:59:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435257 Posts in 37267 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots General Tech
| | |-+ Life expectancy of the factory double roller timing chain
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life expectancy of the factory double roller timing chain  (Read 2933 times)
junkyardjeff
Small Block

« on: February 18, 2018, 10:35:33 pm »

Got my old 89 crown vic back because the ex thought she blew up the motor that ended up being the timing too far advanced and pinging badly,my old 87 F150 had a double roller timing chain so I presume the 302 in the 89 does too.   Motor has 110,000 miles so just how far can I go before time to replace,the body is about shot but plan on using it for a winter beater until the body or frame falls apart.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 10:44:51 pm »

The 5.0 HOs are the only ones that I'm positive came with double rollers. I had an 88 Lincoln motor and it had the standard link chain.

But at 110,000, I'd probably change it.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 08:49:57 am »

If you want a good True Roller, you need the JWIS chain.  They are available from Ed at http://flowtechinduction.com  The JWIS is the best chain out there.

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 09:42:01 am »

If you want a good True Roller, you need the JWIS chain.  They are available from Ed at http://flowtechinduction.com  The JWIS is the best chain out there.

Last I heard, Jim was having his SA gear sets packaged with a high quality German made chain as well.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:04:43 am »

If you want a good True Roller, you need the JWIS chain.  They are available from Ed at http://flowtechinduction.com  The JWIS is the best chain out there.

Last I heard, Jim was having his SA gear sets packaged with a high quality German made chain as well.

Cool.  Main thing to look for is the chain.  I typed JWIS before...  as it looks kind of like a 'J' on the chain links, but Ed lists it as IWIS.  If Jim carries them, they are probably less expensive than Ed...   as Ed sells good stuff, but is usually really proud of it.  lol

One thing to be aware of...  If you use one of those STEEL Rollermaster timing gears, you need to use a STEEL cam retainer!  The stock one is Iron, and will get eaten up by the steel gear.  These steel cam retaining plates are often close to $50.  If you can get an iron timing set with the IWIS chain, you can use the stock iron retaining plate.  

However, if using a billet steel solid roller cam, it makes sense to use the steel retaining plate and steel timing set.  That way, all the materials match, and there are no issues.  

Ed does sell the 'chain only' for $75.
http://www.flowtechinduction.com/rollmaster-dbl-row-roller-timing-chain/

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 07:26:16 pm »

I bought a cam plate from ed, and it has a small hole drilled where I presume it will feed oil to the chain. Not sure if it's steel or cast, but my steel timing set has a Torrington bearing that goes between the timing gear and cam plate.

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
junkyardjeff
Small Block

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 10:49:47 pm »

The 87 F150 had a 5.8 HO and the timing changed about 5 degrees on the 302 so it will come apart,probably will have to deal with broken bolts and possibly have to change the timing chain cover plus a water pump while its apart.
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 01:17:11 am »

The chain is apparently the big deal as previously mentioned.  The hole drilled can oil/cool the chain and/or be meant to lubricate the distributor to cam gear.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
junkyardjeff
Small Block

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 10:41:44 pm »

Pulled the timing chain cover off a 92 351 and double roller.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: