Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 06:14:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ 289 Small Blocks
| | | |-+ HEAD GASKET NEED HELP
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HEAD GASKET NEED HELP  (Read 913 times)
BCOWANWHEELS
6 Banger

« on: February 04, 2018, 02:00:46 am »

CAN SOMEBODY GUIDE ME TO THE BEST AND THINEST 302 STD BORE HEAD GASKET. SO FAR BEST I CAN FIND IS COMETIC .027 . TRYING TO GET COMPRESSION UP. GOT TRW 4VR FORGED PISTONS. GONNA SET TUNEUP ON RACE GAS. GOT EARLY 289 C/CMBER HEADS, PORTED ,BIG VALVES.
THANKS
BOB

I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 05:52:15 am »

Fel-Pro makes a .020" shim gasket, but I wouldn't recommend it. Even with o rings and perfect finishes on the surfaces, copper head gaskets can be finicky.

But unless your piston is way down in the hole, I wouldn't want a thin gasket on there to begin with. That little bit of compression isn't worth a piston slapping the head.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
cheapbastard
6 Banger

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 10:02:28 am »

I tried the Fel Pro copper shim.  I installed it with Indian Head as a sealant on my 73 302 to gain compression as it is one of the blocks with slightly raised deck height.  They wouldn't seal.  They hang in the garage as a testament to experimentation....

On the other hand the Cometics have been great and I figure I am right about 10.4 compression with them and milled heads.
 Good Luck!

It sucks to get old but at least the expectations are lower...
65 mustang coupe, 10.4 compression 306, home ported 180 cc Chinese heads, funnel web, Lunati Voodoo Solid flat cam, t5z, 8 inch with 4.62 gears in a locker.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:04:25 pm »

To successfully use the copper sheet type head gaskets, you will likely need to o ring the block and use plenty of Hylomar. Even then, there is still the possibility of water seepage.

To me, they aren't worth the trouble.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
BCOWANWHEELS
6 Banger

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 04:46:39 am »

I GOT A SET OF COMETIC MLS .027 THICK GASKETS COMMING AND GONNA 0 DECK MY BLOCK WITH SPEED PRO 4VR FLAT TOP FORGED PISTONS  , 54CC HEADS ,  HOPE TO GET 10.5 CR AT LEAST

I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
cheapbastard
6 Banger

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 07:31:35 am »

If you have all your specs you can run the numbers on the Wallace Racing Calculators to get a pretty rough idea of your compression.  You will need to CC your piston valve reliefs and the chambers on your heads.  One thing to think about is piston to head clearance with that thin gasket and piston to valve clearance.  I do not recall what the spec is for minimum piston to head clearance but I'm sure Juiced will chime in here in a second with that info.  I do think you are on the right track trying to get as much compression as you can get.
 Good Luck!

It sucks to get old but at least the expectations are lower...
65 mustang coupe, 10.4 compression 306, home ported 180 cc Chinese heads, funnel web, Lunati Voodoo Solid flat cam, t5z, 8 inch with 4.62 gears in a locker.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 02:40:33 pm »

I GOT A SET OF COMETIC MLS .027 THICK GASKETS COMMING AND GONNA 0 DECK MY BLOCK WITH SPEED PRO 4VR FLAT TOP FORGED PISTONS  , 54CC HEADS ,  HOPE TO GET 10.5 CR AT LEAST

One thing to think about is piston to head clearance with that thin gasket. I do not recall what the spec is for minimum piston to head clearance.

0.027" is pretty damn tight for piston to head. Your piston to bore clearance should be kept on the tighter side of good, to reduce piston rock.

I'm not saying that you can't do it, just that its tighter than I'd run.

I honestly don't get it.

woody
FordStrokers.com-SBFTech.com Owner
Administrator
Big Block

Old School

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 02:48:18 pm »

rock the piston at tdc and measure how far above the deck it is, then subtract that from the head gasket. If the piston is zero deck and the piston clearance is .004 or more, you are going to be scarily close.

331-347 Short Blocks 2099.00 and up
408-418-427 Short Blocks (F4 Roller Blocks Standard) 2399.99 and up
Dart Shorts 4199.00+
D.I.Y Shortblocks 1799.00

FordStrokers.com

Make sure you get your information from the internet gurus that haven't built SHIT, they did sleep at Holiday Inn last night, and we have a few of those gurus right here on this forum. Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: