Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2019, 08:05:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots General Tech
| | |-+ 157 tooth manual flywheel for a late 80s 302
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 157 tooth manual flywheel for a late 80s 302  (Read 2211 times)
Small Block
Offline Offline

Posts: 176

Location: Dayton Ohio

« on: February 03, 2018, 11:46:05 pm »

I am going to be getting a late 80s 302 that has been warmed up some that I would like to put in my 65 galaxie that has a manual trans,it has a 10 or 10 1/2 inch clutch and presume it has the smaller flywheel. The problem is I have to use this bellhousing since the Z bar ball screws in it  and the hole in the block is too far forward to use so does anyone know if a new 157 tooth flywheel is available for the newer 302s.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block
Offline Offline

Posts: 8394

Location: Pascagoula, MS
The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 12:12:01 am »

5.0 Mustangs used the 157 tooth flywheel. Early to mid 80s cars used a 10" clutch, while later cars used a 10.5". Some aftermarket flywheels have both patterns.

Many 80/90s trucks came with 164 tooth flywheels that use an 11" clutch.

This may also give you some options:


Doing more with less, or something like that.

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Small Block
Offline Offline

Posts: 176

Location: Dayton Ohio

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 10:28:03 am »

I did not know that part was made and will have to remember it.
Big Block
Offline Offline

Posts: 2453

Location: West Virginia

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 08:59:37 am »

I believe you can get an OLD style 157 tooth flywheel designed for the older 'Long' style, 3 fingered pressure plate.  It has to be a fairly common swap item, as I'm sure there are lots of newer engines being swapped into older cars, and that piece would make it an easy switch.

Just look for that type flywheel with the newer 50 oz-in balance, instead of the older 28 oz-in.

Good Luck!

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

408 Stroker