Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2018, 08:45:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435265 Posts in 37271 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ 289 Small Blocks
| | | |-+ lifter came apart on new build..need some help what lifters..cam
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: lifter came apart on new build..need some help what lifters..cam  (Read 1176 times)
ford88
6 Banger

« on: October 28, 2017, 07:24:43 pm »

I have  a new build put about 200 miles on it,link bar lifter came apart and took out cam.specs 289 .30 over afr 165s srp forged pistons .5 out of hole for true .10 com.link bar lifters with lunati .544 .560 lift .232 .242 dur cam 51012.car is 66 fairlane 4-speed 411 rear gear I run it hard has dual quad with 450cfm holleys.It is used for street and strip.I don't know what make link bar lifters they were.I would like to do a custom grind cam..please recommend some one also what is a good brand hyd link bar lifters...thanks for your help
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:22:44 pm »

With the dual quads, a tight lobe separation will work really well.  It will have a very choppy idle, and the tight lobe separation will really pick up the midrange.  Comp cams has a 'Thumper' line that should work really well.  Most have a 106 degree lobe separation.  What kind of rpm do you want to turn?  

What type of cam are you looking for?  I'm guessing a hydraulic roller?  If it's a toy, you may want to consider either a solid flat tappet, or a solid roller...  and let it spin around 7k rpm.  If you want to do that, a solid cam around 238-240 degrees @ 0.050 on the intake, and a little more on the exhaust with that lobe separation should make for a fun engine.

If you go solid roller, make sure you use a compatible distributor gear.  
flat tappet solid/hyd iron dist. gear
hydraulic roller, melonized steel
solid roller, contact who makes the cam for what is compatible.

Gear will also need to be installed properly, and checked for the right depth.

Good Luck!

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
ford88
6 Banger

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 10:49:22 am »

im on the fence I could go solid roller...I read pro and cons...I like to rev 7000 how are the solid rollers on the street some say they go through lifters I drive it on street a bit.I don't have a problem adjusting them.We race a fox body and shift it at 7200 with a hyd roller and never had a problem...do you know anyone that does custom grinds...and what brand lifters do you recomend
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 08:30:58 pm »

I'd talk with Mark at Bullet Cams.  Either that, or just go with a 'Thumper' from Comp.  If you're making the hydraulic work, that's an option.  They are just often problematic much over 6k rpm, unless it's 'right' and you've got good parts.  I like solid flat tappets in 289/302's.  That's what's in mine.  You just need to have good lifters, break it in right, and use a good oil designed for flat tappets. 

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: