Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:47:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
434319 Posts in 37168 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ 351W Small Blocks
| | | |-+ RollMaster timing set.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RollMaster timing set.  (Read 657 times)
JFINELLI
2stroke

« on: October 05, 2017, 02:50:45 pm »

I just purchased a 3071 set to put on my 351/408.

I have the Comp Cams Bearing cam plate and when installed the bearing hits the retainer bolts. I read every thread related on the internet and the majority says the bolts need to be countersunk. Is there any plate that does not require that? Am I okay with running a bearing on the cam side and also on the cam sprocket?

Just calling this to question as the guy I bought it from said he's sold thousands of sets and they should need anything more than a stock plate and no countersinking.  Hmmmmm
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 06:09:48 pm »

Easily counter sunk with a 1/2" bit if I remember correctly.
The washer is soft...   Or at least mine was.

Someone...   Back me up if I'm right or wrong

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 06:38:04 pm »

I'm not positive, but I don't think that the Comp Cams roller thrust plate can be countersunk without hitting the bearing.

I do know that FTI offers a similar setup that is already machined for the countersunk bolts and uses the torrington bearing on the cam side.

Since Ed is a Comp dealer and offers that particular retainer as well, I wouldn't think that he'd have something separate made if the Comp piece could simply be countersunk. Before modifying a $100+ retainer, I'd call him and ask first.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
JFINELLI
2stroke

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:26:52 am »

Thanks for the replies. I have my guy in my machine shop getting ready to do the job in a little bit. I did notice the bearing rides awfully close to the bolt hole so maybe i'll put the brakes on before it lose a $100 plate.
JFINELLI
2stroke

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:11:06 am »

I used a 7/16 90* Drill mill and sunk them about 1/2 way. It looks to have dropped about .150 from the stock bolts so far. I'm going to try it on my lunch break and see if it will clear as is before experimenting further.

JFINELLI
2stroke

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 02:28:26 pm »

I had the epiphany walking out the door to lunch that the bearing has to ride flat on the plate. I'm not sure why I didn't realize that. IT took some massaging of the plate and even the hardware a little but I got it to work.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: