Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2020, 09:41:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435311 Posts in 37295 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ General Tech
| | |-+ Need help with camshaft selection
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help with camshaft selection  (Read 3790 times)
chuck90lx
4 Banger

« on: September 29, 2017, 09:53:18 am »

I know there are a lot of post/threads on this but the more I read the more I am in doubt of myself and selecting the right spec cam. I bracket race Sportsman class and currently am at 13.0's but am wanting 12.0's to teens on just engine. Right now, this is what I have in my 88LX notch:
Stock bore block (only honed when I rebuilt it, don't want to bore it and compromise strength), forged pistons (believe stock cut in tops 4cc?), Scat rods,FMS E-Cam, AFR165 heads (#1472), tubular GT40 upper and lower intake, 65mm TB & Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, 30# injectors, Elec. fans, FMS shorty headers, off road h-pipe, 2 chamber flows, CAI, 3:73 gears, C-4 (just put it in this year), 10 inch converter (Broader), MSD Digital 6, I think it has the stock computer but not sure.
I was running T-5 manual until this year, I launch the car just at idle right now. I am wanting more low end and mid power, traction isn't an issue I have 10-way adjustable shocks/struts. I plan to have the heads rebuilt with upgraded springs, etc. but a local machinist (he just did my Dad's SCJ heads and worked out awesome), and I have a good connection to have a custom grind cam made locally too (same deal as the heads, different shop). When I sprayed it from launch it ran 11.87 @ 116mph but I don't want to do that all the, it was just for fun with the C-4 and top end catch up if needed at the lights. Anyways, sorry for the lack of cam knowledge on my part and thank you in advance for any input. I would have like to bought a 331 Liberator Short block and had those plans but a mule coming through the windshield at 60mph and 6 months to recover foiled those plans. Only make a little over have of what I was making at the last job.

Life isn't about arriving at the grave in a well preserved body, you should arrive skidding in sideways, all worn out, screaming "Holy S**t, what a ride!"
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 11:53:37 am »

While I'm not "not recommending" a custom cam, I think that you have something else holding you back.

Compared to many newer intakes, the GT40 is very restrictive. A Holley Systemax would be my choice. It may loose a little power at the very low end, but it will burry a GT40 on the top side.

After that, get it turned. There is likely a fair amount of power hiding in the fuel and timing tables.

Lastly, practice launching with the C4, and find what tcar likes best. Remember that any improvements in the 60' will amount to roughly twice that on the overall et.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
chuck90lx
4 Banger

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 03:33:34 pm »

Good deal, thanks!! I was wanting to look into a new intake. I do need some more practice on launching, didn't get it finished until halfway through the year, race a 2002 300M for the first 5 point races, lol. Have 4 races left here this year to work on it.

Life isn't about arriving at the grave in a well preserved body, you should arrive skidding in sideways, all worn out, screaming "Holy S**t, what a ride!"
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:58:33 pm »

As a suggestion for something to try until you can get it tuned. Lock the timing at the track. Leave the spout disconnected and set the timing at around 34-36. If you have trouble cranking it like this, the Digital 6 has a 10 start retard that can be used.

Timing makes a big difference as to how the car gets on the converter.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:22:11 pm »

I'd second the intake choice, I think I picked up almost 30HP on mine at the top of the RPM range. Send in a form to Ed and he'll get you on the right track.

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
chuck90lx
4 Banger

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 09:10:28 pm »

OK, I'll give that a shot., thanks for the help!! My Digital 6 just s**t the bed when right when they called us to the staging lanes at our Divisional ET race for the very first runs. I am on the OEM ignition while I wait to get my sent and back from MSD. I am also going to get the heads rebuilt this winter, got a hella cool guy here that's great. I'll talk with him about the roller rockers, was think of having him machine to make them stud mount if need be. Already planning on upgrading the springs, etc., but will talk it through first. I don't me to ask dumb questions, but Ed Curtis right?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: