Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 10:10:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ How much rotational play of the driveshaft is allowed between a T5 and an 8.8?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much rotational play of the driveshaft is allowed between a T5 and an 8.8?  (Read 1168 times)
quickshift
Big Block

...I'm old as dirt (says Lil joe)

« on: September 24, 2017, 07:29:30 pm »

With the parking brakes on and the T5 in neutral, how much rotational play in inches is normal? I ckecked backlash last time I was under it and got. 010". I should have gone deeper but was in a hurry.  I've got a clunk and suspect it's in the spiders and axel gears as this unit (4.10s) had seen a lot of track use before I changed out my 3.73s for this one. I've got to get some info to start before I start to chase my tail for nothing. Disgust
Thanks guys.

71 Comet, 289,351w heads,RR's,12.5 TRWs,ported torker/750DP, Liberty Top Loader (2.78), 9"/6.00s, tubbed,ladder bars,11.9xs@110 ..bla,bla,bla
84Cougar,88HO,Eddy RPM/700DP, 1.7RRs, shorty's, 8.8/4.10s,T-5/Hurst Pro Billet, K/C clutch...bla,bla,bla

Never shoot your mouth off unless your brain is loaded.   If you're not laughing...you're not living!
quickshift
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:19:38 pm »

..... the more I think about it, I'm just going to rebuild it with new internals as the R and P are fine as it has a recent clutch pack with an extra plate. Thanks for all the help.......  Spt at PC

71 Comet, 289,351w heads,RR's,12.5 TRWs,ported torker/750DP, Liberty Top Loader (2.78), 9"/6.00s, tubbed,ladder bars,11.9xs@110 ..bla,bla,bla
84Cougar,88HO,Eddy RPM/700DP, 1.7RRs, shorty's, 8.8/4.10s,T-5/Hurst Pro Billet, K/C clutch...bla,bla,bla

Never shoot your mouth off unless your brain is loaded.   If you're not laughing...you're not living!
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 03:22:34 pm »

I've seen a spec that tells you how much tire movement let's you know if the backlash is in spec. But that's based of stock tire size and gears. So I doubt it will help.

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
quickshift
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:09:58 pm »

I've seen a spec that tells you how much tire movement let's you know if the backlash is in spec. But that's based of stock tire size and gears. So I doubt it will help.
Thanks Joe. I checked the backlash and it's dead on. I'm in the process of ordering a complete set of 28 spine diff gears and a new cross shaft. The thing that pissed me off was that I was in a hurry the day I pulled the cover to check the backlash , didn't look any deeper and poured $60 worth of RP syn gear oil in that I won't re-use.

juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 08:49:44 pm »

After reading that some manufacturers of rear end components will void their warranties if synthetic oils are used, I went back to conventional oils.

Currie used to have information on their site about this, but now simply state that using synthetics will void the warranty.

I want to say that it was because synthetic oils were less "sticky", causing them not to lubricate as well. Regardless, whatever their reasons, they were good enough for me.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
quickshift
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 09:11:45 pm »

After reading that some manufacturers of rear end components will void their warranties if synthetic oils are used, I went back to conventional oils.

Currie used to have information on their site about this, but now simply state that using synthetics will void the warranty.

I want to say that it was because synthetic oils were less "sticky", causing them not to lubricate as well. Regardless, whatever their reasons, they were good enough for me.
...... Wonder, Ponder

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: