Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:16:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
434110 Posts in 37143 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Small Block Windsor
| | |-+ EFI motor to a carb
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EFI motor to a carb  (Read 432 times)
junkyardjeff
Small Block

« on: September 22, 2017, 09:53:01 am »

I picked up a mid 90s 351 from a wrecked truck and going to install in in my 66 F100,other then changing what it needs to go to a carb and a steel gear on the distributor will it run good with a carb even though its designed for EFI.
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 12:13:55 pm »

At the end of the day, as long as the heads, cam and intake manifold are all a good match and the carb and exhaust are tuned to the heads, cam and intake............you should be fine.

Looks like you don't plan to change the cam or heads, so they will limit what you can do with the carb and intake manifold.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 02:58:50 pm »

Something like an airgap intake & 750cfm with a Holley style carb will be good to go.

EFI cams are just designed to give good vacuum so the computer has an easier time at idle and tip in.  Works great with a carb and easier to tune than a big cam.

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:22:04 am »

The only other real concern would be the fuel pump.

If you want to use a mechanical pump, you will need to switch to an appropriate timing cover and get a pump eccentric.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 01:16:56 pm »

for a non performance application, i'd probably just use a generic inline fuel pump from the parts house.

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 01:10:02 am »

for a non performance application, i'd probably just use a generic inline fuel pump from the parts house.

Absolutely. That (electric) would probably be my choice. If it were something that I planned on driving any amount, I'd probably do a return system.

Its just that I know some people prefer mechanical pumps, especially on older vehicles. So I pointed out that those changes would be necessary if they wanted to go that direction.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 02:09:41 pm »

Since the factory fuel delivery system was a return fuel delivery system, that would mean that the factory pump could be used with the carb as long as the return components remain intact and the correct fittings are used to adapt the factor lines to the carb.......right?

If these components are available from the wrecked truck, this would be worthwhile in my opinion.
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 02:14:39 pm »

How would you "feed" the inline fuel pump? Gravity? Better hope the gas tank has it's fittings on the bottom.
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 03:53:04 pm »

Oddly....  I have an "in-line" fuel pump and it's working flawlessly pulling fuel from the top of the tank (required for road racing).  Thought I was gonna have to prime the pump....   Nope!

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 04:19:30 pm »

Oddly....  I have an "in-line" fuel pump and it's working flawlessly pulling fuel from the top of the tank (required for road racing).  Thought I was gonna have to prime the pump....   Nope!

Interesting. Mine did not work worth a darn that way, plus it said in the instructions that it had to be gravity fed. I switched to a mechanical pump after that and it pulls well from the top.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 05:36:06 pm »

I have seen both setups on multiple cars, some just work better than others. I've even seen an inline pump underhood, plumbed in place of the mechanical pump. The actual type of pump likely has a lot to do with its ability to pull off suction.

Now, I absolutely believe that that gravity feeding the pump is the best way. That, or an in-tank pump.

When I first plumbed my car, the plumbing setup wasn't ideal. While the pump inlet was level with the tank sump, the design of the large canister filter required its ports to be ~8" higher. With this setup, I could hear my fuel pump change tone when the tank was around half empty. After switching to an inline filter directory on the pump inlet, it maintains a consistent sound until the cell is nearly empty.

But if the suction was unrestricted, I wouldn't have a problem using an inline pump on a  low power driver. I would still want the pump as close to the tank as possible, ideally at or below the bottom level.

I honestly don't get it.

junkyardjeff
Small Block

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 09:27:15 pm »

I do plan on a mechanical pump so I will be changing the timing chain cover,since I have a Holley 500 2 bbl I was going to grab a cheap or free 2 bbl intake along with all the brackets off a mid 70s Torino in a local junkyard. The 66 has a 460 that has a vibration and decided to go with a smaller motor that should not drink a bunch of gas.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: