Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2018, 01:43:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435277 Posts in 37275 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ Head change
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Head change  (Read 2062 times)
errok
6 Banger

« on: September 11, 2017, 12:29:55 pm »

Hi, I have the opportunity to swap some Ford Motorsport heads on to my engine. Currently it has Edelbrock RPM heads.
They have M-6049-Z304 & FMC 0105-1315. I belive there a better head.

The engine is a 306ci, 11:1 compression, Torquer 11 inlet & 780 pro systems carb, cam is @.050 In 249 Ex 264 Cam lift In .413 Ex .411

I think the cam was designed with the small heads in mind. Would fitting a better/bigger head screw my combo up? The engine makes power really well.

I know it's not a simple question and any input is greatly appreciated
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 03:25:02 pm »

The Z heads are very good heads from a performance potential standpoint. They do have some quirks with rocker and header fitment.

They would have horrible port alignment with a Torker 2 intake, which I would change unless it is your only option.

While a .400" lift cam will work with them, it will never come close to reaching their potential. Those heads are also setup for a high installed spring height (to go along with higher lifts), so properly setting them up for low lift could cause some grief.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
errok
6 Banger

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 04:43:50 pm »

Thanks for the reply. The lift is just the cam so at the valve it's about 0.64 (.66 less the lash) Is that low?
As a bonus, I'm hoping the raised exhaust port may lift the headers. The collectors catch occasionally.
The guy has said he used standard rockers as these are not offset as with some styles of Z304 heads. From what I read they all seem to be offset.

The cam was a custom cam spec'd for the engine as it is and it works quite well. Made 430 hp and 386 pounds of torque on the engine dyno. He did say a victor Jnr would work better. I now have a Victor Jnr but it's not on as it gives me hood clearance issues. I can't get a decent size air cleaner on under the hood.

My big question is how the cam will react with the change of heads. They have a 204ccintake, I think mine are 170. I like the idea of the bigger head but if it needed a cam change I may reconsider.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:52:12 pm »

.640" is easily workable, given typical springs.

I've also heard that they all use offset rockers to get correct alignment.

The cam will act bigger with the larger heads. The only way to really know how much is to try it. But a new custom piece wouldn't be a bad idea.

To be honest, a regular Victor Jr is on the small side for those heads. I'd consider some port work.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
errok
6 Banger

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 01:55:46 pm »

Brilliant, that's the sort of info I was looking.

I'm stuck as I have an engine that performs real well. I just have an itch to see what the bigger heads could do. Don't have enough funds for two engines so need to use the bottom end again.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: