Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:46:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
434319 Posts in 37168 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Off-Topic Bullshittin'
| |-+ Pics Pics and Videos Videos
| | |-+ Supercrew sound pt 2
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Supercrew sound pt 2  (Read 2466 times)
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« on: July 08, 2017, 05:14:59 pm »

After the many questions that I got about my previous stereo install, I thought I'd touch base on what I'm doing now.

I sold my 04' FX4 last year after getting a smoking deal on a low mileage 12' 4X4 XLT. While the FX4 was in extremely nice condition, its mechanicals were starting to show their age. Here is the thread from that truck.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,33801.0.html

I sold the Probox and Kicker sub to a guy at work with an 06'. But I kept the Audiocontrol EQX and Alpine MRP-F240.

So, fast forward a few months. I run across a nearly new Kicker IX252 on Craigslist for $40. The guy even brought it to me at work.

My initial plan was to run the Alpine amp on 2 Rockford Fosgate Prime 12s in a Q-Bomb sealed box with the Kicker amp on the front doors. It would likely have sounded pretty good but then I found just what I wanted, a proper ported box for 2 subs:

http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=F150-SC-210-V-09

I got one on order, should be here next week.

So, now plans have changed some. Since I found the ported box I wanted, no need to get subs designed for a small sealed box. So I'm going to use a set of JL 10W0v3-4s. Since they need about twice the power as the previous subs that I was looking at, I'm looking at a couple different mono amps. The Rockford Fosgate Prime 500.1 and JBL 500.1, both look good and consistently test at well over 600 rms at 2 ohms.

I'm putting the Alpine on the front doors and the Kicker on the rears. The Alpine bridges to 100X2, which is a little much for the Pioneer TS-D1730C components (6.75) that I bought. So I'll dial back the gains and EQX output. The Kicker should be perfect for the Pioneer TS-G6845R two ways in the rear.

Before anyone asks why I didn't go with RF door speakers like my previous truck, its just because the highs didn't quite suit my music tastes. They were just a little harsh for my liking.

I've also decided to keep the factory head unit in this truck for a couple reasons. First, it sounds good and is loaded with features like steering controls, voice command, XM, Sync, Bluetooth, etc. Second, this truck requires about $500 worth of adapters just to make most of those previously mentioned features work with an aftermarket head unit.

The EQX has excellent high level inputs, so there is no need in using any other adapters. So, I've modified a Metra BT-5520 harness to allow the connections between the radio and factory harness without having to damage the factory pieces.

I've also picked up some of the wiring components that I'll need like fuse blocks, ground junction, ring terminals, and RCAs. I'm still undecided about the main power wire. I may use 2 gauge welding lead or go with one of the better (oversized) 4 gauge OFC wires like Knukonceptz or Sky High sells. It probably won't matter either way.

* 20170708_150511.jpg (3390.84 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 30 times.)

* 20170708_150709.jpg (2689.94 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 29 times.)

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 05:16:39 pm »

More pics. Any more than two, and it would time out.

* 20170708_150208.jpg (3303.36 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 32 times.)

* 20170708_150001.jpg (3159.45 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 33 times.)

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 05:47:56 pm »

Fox Box showed up today. It looks good and looks to be as high of quality as I had heard. Lots of internal bracing, clean inlays, and a thick coating.

Their packaging was also very good. They wrapped it in shrink wrap before boxing it up with lots of packing peanuts, enough to nearly fill a 39 gal trash bag.

No need to take a pic, as it looks identical to the online pics.

I honestly don't get it.

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 07:35:03 pm »

Made some progress. Got the new sub amp, built the amp rack, and got the amps and EQ mounted.

I looked at several amp racks that others had built for these trucks, but I didn't really like the design of any of them. Most just removed the lower section of the rear sound barrier and replaced it with a carpeted panel. The problem with that is that the factory air vents are in the rear firewall and the factory sound barrier also serves as the ductwork for them.

After studying the design of the firewall and panels for a while, I found the obvious solution. I was able to recess 1/4" plywood into the lower section of the firewall. I cut holes in it for air to flow through and attached it with aluminum strips and rivet nuts. After figuring out amp placement, I installed brass threaded inserts in the plywood and cut 1.5" stainless spacers fot the amps.

The recessed panel and spacers allowed the air ducts and vent to remain fully functional and still securely mount the amps. The EQX is mounted to a factory channel on the firewall with rivet nuts and short spacers.

* Amp Eq.jpg (2989.97 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 137 times.)

* JBL.jpg (3089.46 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 140 times.)

I honestly don't get it.

RunninHorse
Big Block

Órale!

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 10:47:17 pm »

Well done.  Nice clean install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.  Working on my '93 Reef Blue coupe.  Stock internal 302, 80 MAF, 75 TB, Victor 5.0, High Ports, 30# inj., B303, 1.6s, Tremec TKO 3550, Quicktime bell, Fidanza Al flywheel, stage 3 ceramic clutch, & 4.10s.  12.68 @ 111.69
'66 F100 shortbed, 352ci, 3 on the tree - on hold
'65 Coupe rolling chassis - on hold
Parts I'm selling: 
Hardened Push Rods - Trick Flow 6.2" .080 - $60
Misc. Fox Body Interior Pieces
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 10:44:38 pm »

Well done.  Nice clean install.

Thanks. I'm still not finished with it. The weather has been so so. This weekend was perfect but I was out of town.

I had to pull everything back out to run some of the wiring. While it was out, I decided to replace the spacer tubes with threaded standoffs. They are soooooo much easier.

I've since ran the RCAs, mounted all the fuse blocks, and ran most of the power wires.

I've got the underhood power ran up to the main fuse block, just need to make the run between there and the cab. Since the cab design is the same as my previous truck, I already know an easy route.

I also upgraded the underhood grounds. I ran two separate 4+ gauge wires (Sky High oversized 4 gauge OFC, similar size as 2 gauge welding) from the battery to the two body ground points. I marked around the terminals with a pen and took it down to bare metal. I also coated all the terminals and body points with Ox-Guard to minimize the chance of oxidation or rust.

* 20170911_133453.jpg (3451.58 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 94 times.)

* 20170911_140832.jpg (3488.81 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 96 times.)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:58:38 am by juiced coupe » Logged

I honestly don't get it.

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 03:39:13 pm »

The rear seat releases on these trucks is somewhat of a pain to release. I had been using some zip ties to release them but they didn't provide much grip and were prone to breaking or coming off.

So I decided to make some release cables.

I drilled some small holes through the pins and ran small cables made from stainless fishing leader wire, with key ring handles.

Knowing that the cable would be too flexible, I covered it in several layers of heat shrink. They were still too limber, so I attached some monofilament cables to the top side to keep them clear of the latch.

* 20170911_132615.jpg (2882.74 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 99 times.)

* 20170911_134948.jpg (2975.91 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 83 times.)

I honestly don't get it.

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 02:36:51 pm »

Got it about 90% done and actually playing. I still have to install the components and rear coaxials.

It kinda surprised me how well the factory door speakers sound with real power and a clean signal. Crossed over at 70Hz, they sound pretty damn good. The highs are a little harsh, but I think its due to the door speakers not having a low pass crossover. The factory tweeters actually sound good.

The subs sound awesome, at least with most music. Anyone familiar with ported boxes knows that they don't suit all types of music. But for metal, alternative, pop, country, and older hip hop, they absolutely jam. If you listen to a lot of older rock, I'd probably stick with a sealed box.

And to anyone looking at doing this, I had to tap the #38 fuse to supply power for the remote turn on. Apparently Ford doesn't use switched 12 volt power for the radio anymore, as I couldn't find one anywhere in the harness.

The factory fuses are also recessed into the fuse panel. If you decide to use a micro add-a-fuse, it will require cutting it down to fit. Most people just use a mini fuse version because it is longer, but my local parts store was out.

I honestly don't get it.

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 12:44:34 am »

Finally got the installation completed. Installed some sound deadening to the doors, got the coaxials in the rear doors, and the components in the front doors/pillars.

The first audio store that I went too was sold out of deadener except for one old pack of original Dynamat. Installing it sucks as much as I remember, but they gave it too me at less than half price.

The second audio store had some more modern material, sold through MESA. It is the rubber/foil type, similar to Dynamat Extreme. While it was more expensive, it was extremely easy to work with.

I used Goop adhesive to glue the speaker adapters to the sound deadening, which is glued to the door. Should be sufficient to limit any noise.

I don't have any pics of the tweeter install. I had some rain headed my way and was hurring to finish. Instead of trying to build brackets, I went with the easier method, hot glue. Since they are behind the factory grills, you will never see them. I actually like it, they are bonded and sealed to the pillars.

* 20170923_114549.jpg (2517.85 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 62 times.)

* 20170923_144321.jpg (3558.32 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 65 times.)

* 20170923_135444.jpg (2142.32 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 64 times.)

* 20170923_140648.jpg (3525.69 KB, 4128x2322 - viewed 64 times.)

I honestly don't get it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: