Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:44:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
434319 Posts in 37168 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots General Tech
| | |-+ Overdrive trans options
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overdrive trans options  (Read 2212 times)
dragdaddy
Small Block

« on: July 04, 2017, 01:19:01 am »

I have a 1976 Bronco and want to put an overdrive Transmission in it. I want to know the power limits of the aod or e4od to decide if they can be built to survive a 500-plus horsepower 408W. If so who would you recommend and where would you start for a combination? Which would you choose?  I want about 2,500 RPM stall.
al2
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 04:14:00 pm »

Call Jay at Broader Performance transmissions in Weatherford TX. He is a Ford trans guru   He has buil over drives that handle way more hp.    817-599-9400
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 04:48:09 pm »

i'd probably go with a 4r70w or 4r100 with either a manual valvebody or standalone controller.

i'm planning a twin turbo 4.6 dohc with 4r70w in my 67 F100.  gonna run it all with a holley dominator efi setup.

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 04:13:14 pm »

I have a 1976 Bronco and want to put an overdrive Transmission in it. I want to know the power limits of the aod or e4od to decide if they can be built to survive a 500-plus horsepower 408W. If so who would you recommend and where would you start for a combination? Which would you choose?  I want about 2,500 RPM stall.

Lentech AOD is probably the best option unless you are pinching pennies.

4r100 is great as well, second choice in my opinion.

I am assuming you have non aod now, and if thats the case I am assuming you have c4 or c6. In that event, a gear vendors overdrive mated to your current set up should work well.
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 06:52:05 pm »

The add on over drives would be best for existing C6 etc, for simpler installation. The later electronic four speeds would be the best for driveability and great strength, but those require much more electrical work. The prices will be not cheap for any of those.

The Lentech AOD or any AOD will be less strong, and possibly more expensive depending on your trans builder sources. The Lentech can be crazy high, yet you can find builders to do a 4R70W for $500-$1000(labor) depending on how you know them. The 4R100 or E4OD likely similar costs, but the 4R70W is the most popular so more easily less than the others.

The 4R100 and E4OD are probably the strongest for towing, but I don't know what upgrades those may have available. Those are just inherently stronger at holding through the low gear towing ranges, they have bigger guts. I'd consult with a torque converter expert if towing anything heavy is part of the need, they can build more clutch size into some converters.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 07:15:12 pm »

The Lentech AOD or any AOD will be less strong, and possibly more expensive depending on your trans builder sources. The Lentech can be crazy high, yet you can find builders to do a 4R70W for $500-$1000(labor) depending on how you know them. The 4R100 or E4OD likely similar costs, but the 4R70W is the most popular so more easily less than the others.

The Lentech AOD is supposedly stronger (after their modifications, depending on the package you select) than any of the other options.
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:00:00 pm »

The best guts that you can use in any AOD are the stock parts from the 4R70W's(or aftermarket that can be used in both). I doubt that there is anything they can put in an AOD that couldn't come from a 4R, or go in one. Sonnax now makes a stronger forward drum than the stock stuff, and hopefully they could make a new direct drum(3rd and 4th gears) at some point.

The AOD also has some inherent weaknesses that don't exist in the later 4R's. Getting an AOD to shift reliably at the very same rpm each time is very hard. It doesn't happen in any street version, the stock VB always shifts at different rpm's from 1st to 2nd, versus 2nd to 3rd, and 4th won't happen at WOT with stock VB parts. Short story is the AOD requires the full race high dollar VB's to shift reliably, and those are going to be manual shifting anyway. For racing, the shifting might be moot, for driving normal roads, the AOD doesn't work as well as the electronic stuff.

I loved my AOD when I had it upgraded properly in my first Lincoln, but the odd rpm shifts did bother me some. It'd shift at 5600rpm sometimes, 5400rpm sometimes, 5300 etc, but the 2nd/3rd shift was always about 400rpm lower. I wasn't racing and it didn't affect anything but myself to know it, but it wasn't ideal.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 02:07:09 pm »

When I was shopping for a transmission for my van I seriously considered an AOD from lentech before settling on a c6. They make their own parts for their transmissions....certain parts. I don't remember all the details however, but they do design and manufacture their own proprietary parts. So, they may be using certain parts from 4r70w, there are parts that don't come from come from 4r70w and the only way to get them is by buying a lentech aod.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: