Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2020, 09:23:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
435311 Posts in 37295 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ General Tech
| | |-+ shorty vs equal length "non HP question"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: shorty vs equal length "non HP question"  (Read 3787 times)
rob342
Adv_SBFTechie
Stroked Small Block

« on: June 20, 2017, 12:08:23 pm »

i bought BBK equal lengths a while back.  i'm finally about to bolt all the junk i collected on. i thought i had factory headers, but now that i'm ripping stuff apart i see i actually have what look to be decently made old rusty FMS or MAC shorties.

i understand the difference in HP between these two is not a reason to swap. i do have a slight confusion if i should bother to use the equal lengths or not.

my understanding is that shorties may cause the engine to have a lean/rich condition in certain cylinders due to the different tubing lengths. since i'm a fairly inept/still learning tuner(with a QH), i don't know if this would be an issue for me or if this only pertains to people tuning at the highest level.

at the same time my understanding is that the equal lengths will increase underhood temperatures, make changing plugs a shitty job, and will require me to either carve the deck of the head/smash a tube to make them fit.

see where they hit? nice eh?

which would you use, and why??

white 92GT, with a black interior, pony rims, 5 speed with a 3.73 gear. came with a gear, exhaust, and a powerdyne. nice little cruiser, i didn't change much yet.

have tw170's, systemax II, 75mm accufab, anderson n41, t5z, ford racing 23lb billet flywheel, and a quarterhorse sitting here. cam may change
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:47:30 pm »

Most people avoid the equal lengths due to the headaches you mentioned. The normal shorties are no big deal for A/F issues, neglect that factor. I'd stick with the other shorties if they fit and sealed well.

When you're hunting the last HP, that's the time to look at full length headers. FLH's are great in all respects except for ground clearance, and normal fit issues.

I have owned two headers with flat 3/4 bolt flanges, and I'll never deal with those again. Those are fine for racing where you limit driving over "bumps", but for street use I will cut off any flat flange. I'm soon aiming for FLH's for my Lincoln, Fox chassis but I gather an SN95 might fit too. I'll replace the collectors with a V-band clamp immediately, and alter clearance if needed. You want to enjoy your car when driving it, do what it takes.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:23:19 pm »

I'd stick with the other shorties if they fit and sealed well.

Plus One

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
rob342
Adv_SBFTechie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 06:23:26 pm »

they did fit and seal well.   i'll stick with the rusty shorties. thanks for the second opinions. much appreciated. 

white 92GT, with a black interior, pony rims, 5 speed with a 3.73 gear. came with a gear, exhaust, and a powerdyne. nice little cruiser, i didn't change much yet.

have tw170's, systemax II, 75mm accufab, anderson n41, t5z, ford racing 23lb billet flywheel, and a quarterhorse sitting here. cam may change
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 09:14:45 pm »

they did fit and seal well.   i'll stick with the rusty shorties. thanks for the second opinions. much appreciated. 

If you are concerned with appearance, have them coated. Mine are polished but the black looks great.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: