Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2018, 03:55:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435265 Posts in 37271 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Joel 5.0's Electronic Engine Management
| | |-+ ECM Connector Repair?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ECM Connector Repair?  (Read 3975 times)
Chickenbone
Small Block

« on: June 15, 2017, 09:38:44 am »

Hi Guys,

Ran into a small problem whilst converting to mass air.  I was drilling terminal holes in the back of my connector and went in too far.  Drill bit (and the plastic dowel pin thingy) went in to the back of the connector and broke the plastic tab that holds the terminal.  Now my pin# 3 backs out.  I'm thinking of trying some epoxy to glue the terminal to the connector slot.  Might try putting some where the wire goes into the back of the connector.  I'm hoping this keeps the terminal in place when I plug it into the A9P.  Has anybody here done this?  If so, what was your solution?
vristang
Mr. Coffee
Global Moderator
Big Block

What I look like in a tie...

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 11:17:06 am »

I'm having trouble envisioning what you are working on?
What connector is it?

Maybe a pic?

- jason
Quote from: Albert Einstein
If we knew what we were doing, we wouldn’t call it research, would we?
Quote from: My Grandma
Find a young one, so you can raise her right.
Chickenbone
Small Block

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 12:29:31 pm »

Sorry, forgot to attach pics.  First time doing this conversion by myself; friends did this back in the day when they wanted their cars to go faster.  So, as you can see, 60 terminals in front of the connector; and only 48 holes in the back (green part).  So I had to drill holes to stick the pins in.  However, where there are no holes, there are plastic dowel pins holding the green cover to the connector.  I drilled too far and hit the plastic tab that holds the terminals inside the connector.  You can see the terminals and the tabs in the bottom picture.  Pin 3 is third pin in from the bottom right row.  You'll see it's missing its tab.  I am thinking of epoxying the terminal into the slot.  Also where I made a hole in the green cover, I am thinking of putting a small glob of epoxy; that way neither the terminal and the wire pushes back in when I go to plug the connector to the A9P.
vristang
Mr. Coffee
Global Moderator
Big Block

What I look like in a tie...

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:43:32 pm »

I can't say that I've seen that green cover on a harness before... if your 60 pin terminal is messed up, I could probably send you another one, assuming I can find the stupid thing.
Do you still have the internal red retainer?

I would think some epoxy would work, as long as it doesn't interfere with the connection though.

- jason
Quote from: Albert Einstein
If we knew what we were doing, we wouldn’t call it research, would we?
Quote from: My Grandma
Find a young one, so you can raise her right.
Chickenbone
Small Block

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 02:41:07 pm »

Worse case scenario is I have to go to the junkyard and cut a connector off one of the remaining box Mercury Grand Marquis.  Then just go through the laborious task of re-pinning the new connector one wire at a time.  Hopefully I can epoxy the terminal and not have to do that. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: