Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 10:18:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ Gears/Differential
| | | |-+ i guess i forgot how to set up gears
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: i guess i forgot how to set up gears  (Read 9075 times)
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 01:14:43 pm »

I'm gonna get some oreillys 90w140 dino oil to break in the gears and then change to royal purple since I have 2 quarts that came with my gear kit...IF it looks like changing it won't be too much trouble.  The new reinforced rear cover has a drain plug but I don't know how hard it will be to get to with everything in the car.

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 01:50:10 pm »

Several gear manufacturers and rear end builders recommend not using synthetic lubricants in the rears. Many prefer to conventional lubricants because they are more "sticky".

The last time that I changed mine, I used the Supertech 85W140. I've used the ST gear oils, trans fluids, and hydrostatic fluids for years without any problems.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 05:40:00 pm »

now that i have a keyboard...

i also noticed that fluids in general have become ridiculously expensive.  i needed some atf for my 67 f100 and even store brand swill was $5/qt.  ended up just getting a gallon of valvoline for $20.  trans needed that much anyway.  the "good stuff" atf was like $8/qt.  wtf?  i wonder if oil companies are jacking up the prices since they're not raking in the windfall profits on gas like they have been since about 2005...

95 gt-R.I.P.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2017, 06:37:11 pm »

i wonder if oil companies are jacking up the prices since they're not raking in the windfall profits on gas like they have been since about 2005...

I'll comment a little on this.

Typically, many of the big refiners actually make their money on fuels when oil prices are down, like right now. Oil companies make big money when oil prices are up, on oil sales. That is why the big companies have both.

Also, a big chunk of what you pay at the pump has absolutely nothing to do with the oil company. If you knew how much fuel was marked up and taxed after it leaves the refinery/terminal, it'd make you sick. Hell, the city I live in charges an extra 10% just because the refinery is here.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 08:47:28 pm »

i'm sure there's a lot of profit for the middle men, and i know there's about .25 per gallon in taxes (here).

i'm just trying to understand how garden variety type F atf went from under $2/qt to $5+/qt.   WTF

95 gt-R.I.P.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 09:06:42 pm »

i'm just trying to understand how garden variety type F atf went from under $2/qt to $5+/qt.   WTF

Thats why I don't buy oil/fluids at the parts stores unless I have too. They are typically 25-30% higher than Walmart on the same item. I can understand some differences in pricing due to WMs buying power, but not that much.

BTW, type F is $3.48/qt at WM. I needed some a while back and they were out. The cheap STP at Auto Zone was over $5/qt and some of it was $7-8/qt.

When I have it, I prefer low vis hydrostatic oil in place of type F. I keep forgetting to run by the JD dealer when I'm over that way.

I honestly don't get it.

knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2017, 08:37:44 am »

I hate wal mart so much that I'm willing to pay double somewhere else for the privilege of not going to wal mart for anything ever.  I value customer service and my time too much to deal with wm.  Of course, other areas have better service and more than 2 cashiers on duty. 

95 gt-R.I.P.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 10:12:34 am »

I hate wal mart so much that I'm willing to pay double somewhere else for the privilege of not going to wal mart for anything ever.  I value customer service and my time too much to deal with wm.  Of course, other areas have better service and more than 2 cashiers on duty. 

Everybody has their own perspective, and thats fine.

For me, its convenience. The pricing is just an extra.

I work rotating shifts. And as such, I also have weird sleeping patterns. It also means that I do a lot of my shopping late at night or very early in the morning. So, their 24 hour schedule matches up with my rotating schedule.

But I do understand the hassle. If I have to go in during peak hours, I try to check out at the automotive or garden centers.

I honestly don't get it.

knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 11:38:40 am »

yup, i could see how wm would work great for someone on that kind of schedule.

i don't think it'd survive it lol.

95 gt-R.I.P.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2017, 11:52:24 am »

yup, i could see how wm would work great for someone on that kind of schedule.

i don't think it'd survive it lol.

I've been doing it since I was 21. Its just part of life now.

If someone had worked a day job for the last 20 years, switching to my shifts would be hell. Lots of people come out there and try because of the money, about half don't make it very long.

I honestly don't get it.

knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2017, 12:29:32 pm »

my insomnia would be a plus and a minus at the same time 

95 gt-R.I.P.
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2017, 03:03:34 pm »

Try Amazon for most things, their prices are usually equal or better to WM on most things. Shipping takes a couple of days of course, but in bigger cities they deliver on Sundays!

My sister doesn't do WM because of the China source etc. But she likes Target which is a French company, and carries almost identical products.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2017, 10:28:43 pm »

meh.

i like buying local.  amazon doesn't employ anyone in my community.  if it costs me a few extra bucks to support local business, i'm ok with that.  i only order stuff on the internet when it's either not available locally or is a significant savings.  a couple bucks on some fluids just isn't worth the hassle for me. 

95 gt-R.I.P.
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 09:04:56 am »

meh.

i like buying local.  amazon doesn't employ anyone in my community.  if it costs me a few extra bucks to support local business, i'm ok with that.  i only order stuff on the internet when it's either not available locally or is a significant savings.  a couple bucks on some fluids just isn't worth the hassle for me.  

Well said, I support that idea. I wish everyone would, the world has just turned crazy in favor of internet/fast/China/Japan etc, and left our local neighbors way at the back. That's why I mention buying American in some of my forum signatures, and the Fair Tax Plan as a way to help ourselves and starve the government(put them on a limited budget). That's another subject, and like arguing with a wall, or "Z."

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 12:33:14 pm »

Preachin' is easy...its the practice that most folks struggle with. Whistling

95 gt-R.I.P.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: