Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2020, 03:34:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435298 Posts in 37290 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots General Tech
| | |-+ Camshaft/Carburetor idle question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Camshaft/Carburetor idle question  (Read 5092 times)
FORD93GTFREAK
Stroked Small Block

« on: May 28, 2017, 04:36:39 pm »

Well, I have a question..(it's been a long time since I have worked on an engine that has so many unknowns, such as what was added, done to, rigged up ect) I appreciate the help!

just some background..
93 Fox body basket case and trying to breathe life back into it.
stock 5.0 converted from EFI to carburetor, HEI distributor, stock bottom in (I'm assuming), Edelbrock RPM Performer intake, 750 DP carb, looks like stock heads, aftermarket camshaft (unknown, except that PO said it was "X303 alphabet, but I'm not sure) 1.6 Blue rockers, BBK short headers.

My questions is
Will the unknown camshaft (with the listed aftermarket parts listed above) loose it's intended performance if the idle mixture screws are adjusted to lean out the mixture?

I ask this question because when I do lean out the idle mixture, I loose the lopy idle and the engine idles like it has no aftermarket camshaft...

I use my vacuum gauge to adjust the idle screws, however once I get my highest vacuum readings with both sides. The engine will still idle somewhat smooth, however as I turn out the screws towards a more rich condition...the idle will get lopy and sound good, however with the rich smell of exhaust fumes.

I really need some opinions as to which way to set this combo idle.

I hope I explained this well enough for y'all to understand.

thanks!

juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 05:19:35 pm »

That lopy sound that you are referring to is likely the engine loading up with fuel, which is why it smells like fuel.

If you aren't already, idle mixture screw need to be set at operating temperature. Setting them cold will typically result in a rich idle at temperature.

And that cam shouldn't have a really aggressive idle,especially considering the rest of the combination. It should be noticeable but not extremely choppy.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
FORD93GTFREAK
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:28:17 pm »

That lopy sound that you are referring to is likely the engine loading up with fuel, which is why it smells like fuel.

If you aren't already, idle mixture screw need to be set at operating temperature. Setting them cold will typically result in a rich idle at temperature.

And that cam shouldn't have a really aggressive idle,especially considering the rest of the combination. It should be noticeable but not extremely choppy.
thanks Juiced
I got it! I will recheck my settings at normal engine operating temperature.
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 01:31:24 am »

The right and wrong power valve will also make a huge difference. 

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: