Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2017, 07:49:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
433805 Posts in 37115 Topics by 9458 Members
Latest Member: Rich351
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Small Block Windsor
| | |-+ Camshaft timing, how big are thr benefits /draw backs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Camshaft timing, how big are thr benefits /draw backs  (Read 1484 times)
elliott000
6 Banger

« on: April 17, 2017, 01:14:01 pm »

Hey guys, ive been doing some reading lately. I recently installed a new cam and im pretty happy with how it feels but i need to open up my timing cover again and see why my balancer /lower cam gear are about 1/8" further out than it used to be causing belt misalignment.... While im in there i got to thinking about advancing the cam timing. Understanding that it will bring the peak hp/tq down a bit lower. Question is how much lower will it bring it and how much top end will i loose, i rarely see over 5k rpm. Will there be interference with valves/position. If i have to pull heads to clay test than im sure its probably bot worth it. Any insight on probable gains is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:01:56 pm »

Since every combination is different, results will vary. But I wouldn't expect more than a couple hundred rpms.

As for PTV clearance. If you have the proper amount in the current configuration, it should still be adequate when advanced. If you are borderline right now, I wouldn't push your luck.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
elliott000
6 Banger

Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:43:52 pm »

Alright, im not concerned at this point with clearance. Theres no real mods thta would tighten things up in there for me plus this new cam has less lift than the other. Im tempted to do it but i would hate to have to revert it ha, alot of work... Does it infact increase compression some way? Would i have to run less timing as a result

juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:46:04 am »

Does it infact increase compression some way?

The static compression will not change. The dynamic and cranking compression should increase.

Would i have to run less timing as a result

If you do, you were probably too close to detonation to begin with.

But as I said before, every combination is different. There are some rules of thumb, but testing is the only way to verify what works best for your combination.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
elliott000
6 Banger

Re:
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:35:32 pm »

I got it all back together and ran it on the advanced key way. See how she goes. I also installed my plx wideband to get me where i need to be on carb tuning! Now i just need to build a stroker haha

elliott000
6 Banger

Re:
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 12:48:13 pm »

Something went sideways yesterday ha, driving to work it back fired after about 10 mins of driving and then died. It would only sputter a couple times when i tried to restart it. Something has gone tilt, wont be able to compression test and diagnose till next week when im back in town DAMMIT! i just want to buy a stroker long block from atk performance or something and be done! This current engine has been nothing but problems. What are some good online shops making motors

cheapbastard
6 Banger

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 01:08:11 pm »

Seeing how he sponsors the forum I might suggest Woody at FordStrokers.... Good Luck!

It sucks to get old but at least the expectations are lower...
65 mustang coupe, 10.4 compression 306, home ported 180 cc Chinese heads, funnel web, Lunati Voodoo Solid flat cam, t5z, 8 inch with 4.62 gears in a locker.
dennis112
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 01:54:40 pm »

Seeing how he sponsors the forum I might suggest Woody at FordStrokers.... Good Luck!

He'll even do it on a non-scheduled payment plan.  Pay toward it when you can and when its about to be paid off, he'll build it.

Dennis

65' Stang, 434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, 11:1, Braswell Carb, Bullet SR Cam, G101A 4-Speed, 4:56 rear, 93 Octane Pump Gas  9.82@138.00
elliott000
6 Banger

Re:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 08:48:28 pm »

Damn eh 7k ish usd. Motors are probably badass tho! Whats the deal on a dart block? Same bell pattern aa the 351w

elliott000
6 Banger

Re:
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 08:09:24 pm »

Well after all the towing and frustration before actually getting to spwnd time on the truck to diagnose, i found it was just a broken wire at the coil! Must have become broken and as it wiggled i would get shitty performance then it just broke. So no stroker for me but i do want to look into aluminum heads.

Ill start researching around about whats good but if i do new heads should i also get new rockers and pushrods? Ivw never had to measure for push rods so im not sure what the process is in a head swap

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: