Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2018, 09:51:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435268 Posts in 37272 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ Need help with an odd sound I cant locate
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help with an odd sound I cant locate  (Read 1414 times)
elliott000
6 Banger

« on: March 24, 2017, 01:03:14 am »

Hey guys, I believe I had this sound before I swapped cams but hay not have noticed it becuase a liofter was toasted anyways. Now I have my engine back together cam/lifters broken in and all set up . But I still have this ticking sort of sound. I at first thought it was mis adjusted lifters so I went through again today using IOEC method and set em all to 3/4 pre load.

The cam is a comp xtreme 4x4 35-231-3 the springs, lifters and pushrods are the ones suggested by comp. I have 1.6 prw roller tip rockers. I thought maybe it was the roller tip rockers but if I use my stethescope I can here the valve train is quite smooth and just has that mechanical sound, the loudest thing I can make out is the valves closing.

Here are a couple quick videos i shot this afternoon. It is not an exhaust leak as I have thoroughly checked that aswell.... More pronounced from driver side and or underneath the truck.

Thanks for any help because Im lost

https://youtu.be/9oP0ODBBAzE
https://youtu.be/ukKg33hWkDM
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 01:41:03 am »

I don't hear anything that sounds abnormal. To be honest, my car makes a lot more noise than yours.

Just so you know, headers tend to make a ticking sound as the exhaust pulses hit the bends. Thick manifolds on factory cars muffle the sounds. And also, Comp XE cams are known to tick more than other cams, even with correct preload.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
elliott000
6 Banger

Re:
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:22:04 am »

Really eh. I dont know maybe i just hate the sound, but it does feel better to know its possibly not any concern. I finally had a friend whos built some engines swing by today and he said its definitely not a spun bearing or knock. We pulled plugs and it never changed. So i think you may be right, any other things to check just to be sure? I dont want to drive 30km into the bush and have a catastrophic failure!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: