Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2017, 04:06:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
434000 Posts in 37136 Topics by 9476 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Small Block Windsor
| | |-+ Need Opinion for a Stroker for Circle Track
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need Opinion for a Stroker for Circle Track  (Read 931 times)
Rowdy
2stroke

« on: March 19, 2017, 07:15:38 pm »

I have a 351w block "virgin" its the 9.5 deck height, I run a stock car on dirt, we use Holley 4412 carb, headers, aluminum intakes, three speed trans, turn between 6000 and6800 rpm, I've looked at the 408 and 418 strokers, what am I up against? any advice is greatly appreciated
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:45:11 pm »

i'd go with a 408 with the most lightweight rotating assembly i could afford...more crank and piston choices.

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 11:31:21 pm »

2v heads allowed?

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
Rowdy
2stroke

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:20:58 am »

Rules state cast iron heads only, no porting allowed
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:54:44 am »

I don't know what stroke offers best shift recovery, however I do believe Cleveland 2v heads Will maximize your choice.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
glhdcne
6 Banger

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 10:58:38 am »

We were in your same situation 12 years ago.
  Much to consider.Is compression unlimited,any intake,mech. flat tappets only.We ended up going 396 and it was successful,not saying another combination wouldn't be better.You don't need huge set of heads with the small carb,I would favor the World Windsor SR over anything else.We've done the 2V Cleveland OEM's and they get expensive by the time they are updated plus have an antique combustion chamber shape.WW SR.'s are nice pieces and accept much of the later good stuff.Go with all the compression you can.The 3" oem mains are big negatives in an endurance engine,spacers are available but kind of a pain to live with.
  Now for the real meat of things!Front end weight is absolutely critical on these circle track cars.Unless you spend large dollars on lightweight components you will be 20-30 lb. heavier than all the Brand X cars.That is significant!!!!If we had it to do all over again we would have gone the 302 (8.2 deck) route.The 347 0r Eagle crank 355" will be 70-80 lb. lighter than your big stoker and 50-60 lb. lighter than Brand X.You can give up significant horsepower and be faster with a light front end,tuning the chasis will be easier with the lighter front.Let me say that a well prepared Ford will more than keep up with the other guys.  Pm me and we can talk more. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: