Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 02:55:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
434272 Posts in 37162 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ General Tech
| | |-+ Old Holly Carburetor...to rebuild or not...that is the question
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Old Holly Carburetor...to rebuild or not...that is the question  (Read 3015 times)
FORD93GTFREAK
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 07:45:46 pm »

I do have one issue with this carb though. The secondary fuel bowl sight glass is always full and I have adjusted it once but didn't seem to make much of a difference in the fuel level that I can see. I wonder if I even need that extra rear pump?

The fuel level is affected by the float bowl height.  Adjusting this by the screw and locknut on top of the carb will set it correctly. 

If it didn't work the first time, try it again.  Loosen the locknut then hold it in place as you adjust the screw.  Retighten the locknut when the correct fuel level is reached (just above the bottom of the sightglass commonly).
I have tried adjusting the float bowl height as you described and by the instructions, however maybe I will give it another try. I have read somewhere that the secondary float adjustment is a little more involved than the primary?

thanks for the input. I appreciate it!
FORD93GTFREAK
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 05:16:04 pm »

Well, I was able to get the carburetor off the intake today and look at a few things...

I noticed that once I removed the carburetor off the intake and put it on the bench the secondary fuel bowl was empty and dry. I did notice a while back when looking at the fuel site glass, it always looked full and I thought that it was. I now realize now that I mistakenly adjusted the float to the point of slamming the needle into the seat and thus causing the dry fuel bowl. I guess what residual was left in the fuel bowl (after that shitty float adjustment I did) dried up from the engine heat.

here is a pic or two

I use my compressed air to blow out the debris and jets, cleaned out the bowl, properly set the float, properly set the the throttle blades(the best I could) and put the carb back together. I bolted it back on the intake hooked up the few things then pumped fuel to the carb and checked for leaks, no leaks so I fired it up! I did immediately notice a difference in the sound of the engine possibly because of what I have done to the carb (maybe just my enthusiasm kicking in) and the throttle response seemed much quicker...

Well, I decided to go for a quick test drive and the engine felt stronger (however maybe it was just my immigration) pulled good, so I really got into it for a bit and started to smell engine oil burning...

I pulled over to check what was going on and it appears that the rear intake oil leak got worse during the engine blow out and also I now have an oil leak around the distributor shaft at the block. I will post those issues in my project thread.

I will revisit this thread when I get the other shit taken care of. 

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: