Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 08:18:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435157 Posts in 37249 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ 351W Small Blocks
| | | |-+ H-beam or I-beam?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: H-beam or I-beam?  (Read 1650 times)
Falkinman
Stroked Small Block

« on: February 07, 2017, 05:42:50 pm »

Like the subject says, not positive but I think I should get the H-beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts. This is a stock stroke 351 with maybe just a tad over 11:1 compression. Solid roller cam, specs TBD but looking to make 600HP or maybe a little more and turn it to maybe 7,500 max, hopefully less than that. Nitrous is not in the plan but there's always the possibility of a 150 shot. But yeah, I'm thinking the H-beams would be good insurance but they're heavier. Thoughts?

John,
62 Falcon 306 4 speed,
71 Ranchero GT 351C 4 Speed
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:11:02 pm »

I'd say H beams with ARP 8740 bolts, for a few reasons.

- While the ARP 2000 bolts are nice, I don't think the application requires them. I assume that this is a stock block/crank build, in which case the rod bolts aren't the weakest link.

Also, many places simply swap out the ARP 2000 bolts when you request the option, requiring you to resize the rods. So, you not only pay for the bolts but also additional machine work.

- Not all aftermarket I beams are created equal. The stock length Scat and Eagle I beams aren't the same quality as Scats longer versions (Oliver copys) or RPMs lightweight I beams. And the aftermarket through bolt versions are even less so.

IMO, the RPM lightweight rod is the only real I beam option with a stock 351 journal.

- Most (if not all) aftermarket I beams either use a stock type cap or a single rib design. Most of the single rib designs are also thinned down to reduce weight. While most common H beams use a heavier duty double rib design. The RPM rods are double ribbed but they are much thinner than the H beams.

If you remotely think that nitrous might be in the future, the added strength of the H beams cap outweighs any benefits other designs have. A stock 351W rod cap is also narrower than a SBC cap, so there is even less material to start with.

- If this is a stock block/crank build, consider the Scat 6.125 H beam with stock size journal and pin sizes. They allow you to use standard 302 pistons, which are lighter and more readily available than 351W pistons.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Falkinman
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 09:47:35 pm »

Thank you for the great information! Since I already have lightweight 351 pistons I'm going to stay with the 5.956 rods. So it's just a matter of whether I want to spend the extra $100 for the 2000 series bolts.

John,
62 Falcon 306 4 speed,
71 Ranchero GT 351C 4 Speed
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: