Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 12:16:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Cylinder Heads
| | |-+ pro comp heads
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: pro comp heads  (Read 4480 times)
quickshift
Big Block

...I'm old as dirt (says Lil joe)

« on: February 03, 2017, 03:42:16 pm »

Have the Pro Comp heads gotten any better or are they still a pos? Friend is insistant to get a pair for a street build with an HO cam and 1.7s. I'm keeping my comments to myself untill I hear different.

71 Comet, 289,351w heads,RR's,12.5 TRWs,ported torker/750DP, Liberty Top Loader (2.78), 9"/6.00s, tubbed,ladder bars,11.9xs@110 ..bla,bla,bla
84Cougar,88HO,Eddy RPM/700DP, 1.7RRs, shorty's, 8.8/4.10s,T-5/Hurst Pro Billet, K/C clutch...bla,bla,bla

Never shoot your mouth off unless your brain is loaded.   If you're not laughing...you're not living!
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 09:00:34 pm »

From what I've seen, I'd still say no. Junk castings, assembled with even worse junk parts. And the ones that I've seen flowed were way down from advertised numbers.

The Edelbrock E Street heads are just over $900 a set. They have also upgraded the valvetrain to remedy the issues that early versions had.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
quickshift
Big Block

...I'm old as dirt (says Lil joe)

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 11:13:23 pm »

I feel the same way but just in case I fell behind in the "what's new"  dept I wanted to get more information. 

71 Comet, 289,351w heads,RR's,12.5 TRWs,ported torker/750DP, Liberty Top Loader (2.78), 9"/6.00s, tubbed,ladder bars,11.9xs@110 ..bla,bla,bla
84Cougar,88HO,Eddy RPM/700DP, 1.7RRs, shorty's, 8.8/4.10s,T-5/Hurst Pro Billet, K/C clutch...bla,bla,bla

Never shoot your mouth off unless your brain is loaded.   If you're not laughing...you're not living!
servo765
SBFTechie
6 Banger

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 09:25:03 am »

As I near completion on my 347, I parted out my old 302 and sold what I could on Craigslist.  I optimistically posted a set of Pro Comp SBF heads at $200 and you would not believe the stampede of people trying to buy them.  Obviously I underpriced them...  I just dont understand why you would sink 6-800 bucks into those cores with the available options.

here to learn
JeffB2
6 Banger

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 02:22:48 am »

Any feed back on these? Note in the text they are not Pro-Comp I guess they parted ways with them. http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=NKB_SBF274
LiteEmUp
Stroked Small Block

I have accepted my car is the Spawn of Satan.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 10:42:03 am »

Sorry to barge in but I was wondering if anyone had feedback on sip white performance their prices are really hard to beat

Just for the record I never threatened that assclown ... I just let him know I don't like thieves!
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 10:45:21 am »

I'd pass.

I'd buy some used name brand heads before I gambled on those.  An extra $3-400 will get you a lot more.

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
JeffB2
6 Banger

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 03:37:31 pm »

I'd pass.

I'd buy some used name brand heads before I gambled on those.  An extra $3-400 will get you a lot more.
  Did you read the ebay link ? They are assembled using Comp Cam components so would that not be a quality improvement over unknown parts ?
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 05:33:08 pm »

Did you read the ebay link ? They are assembled using Comp Cam components so would that not be a quality improvement over unknown parts ?

They are still low quality castings. They are known to have guide and seat issues.

And just FYI, Comp does sell some lower quality components. While probably still better than Chinese junk, don't be fooled into thinking that they use the same quality of components as a TFS or AFR heads. Probably not even remotely close.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 08:16:08 pm »

Sorry to barge in but I was wondering if anyone had feedback on sip white performance their prices are really hard to beat

Can't comment on their cylinder heads, but the distributor that I bought from them a while back, which was basically a GM HEI applicated for a SBF, was total garbage in therms of build quality, machine work, quality of parts used etc.
78 rancho
Small Block

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 12:47:26 am »

as far as skip white and the 700/set  thaats for a basic set. you want anything more such as better valves, seats, etc   youll be over a grand in to them.  I looked into them when they had the 3038 at same price. you can get the pbm / erson  components, they will put in better seats. not worth the cost. on the other hand a engine builder sold me a set with good components at his cost just to get them out of his shop.. been on a stock 351 block with a small hyd roller cam.  been in a ranchero using as truck and club racing, about 8 times per year. no valve train issues thus far. have put about 8k since installing.  they work for a set of 400 dollar heads. and about the same flow as mild port stock smog heads  130hp engine now making about 280 at wheels, not much of a motor
if ya really want power gotta get the ones that actually flow,
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: