Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 18, 2018, 10:14:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435257 Posts in 37267 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Camshafts
| | |-+ Another Camshaft I.D. question.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Camshaft I.D. question.  (Read 7305 times)
project064
2stroke

« on: January 06, 2017, 05:01:42 pm »

Hi guys, Greg from Perth, Western Australia.

If you guys have very good memories, one of you may be able to figure out the answer to my question.
In 1992, Ford of Australia, contracted a number of engines to built by Rousch (spelling) Engineering, for fitment to 1992 EB GT Falcon.
These engines were rejected (allegedly) by Ford of Australia, due to the camshaft that was selected for the engine.
The maximum H.P. & maximum Torque values of this engine, was occurring too far up the rev range of the engine.
Watson Engineering was awarded the contract to build these engines, & supply some extra camshafts for future engine builds.
Somewhere between 1993 & 1995, Ford Australia, demanded the camshaft be slightly changed, to reduce " valve train noise"?
Both engines I am concerned with were termed "Cobra" engines, as fitted to the EB GT in 1992, & the 1997 EL GT.
Both engines run the 24lb injector, GT 40 Iron Heads, & the Tubular GT 40, upper & lower intake manifold. Rocker Ratio is 1.7:1
The ED Sprint Engine, which was produced in 1993, was basically the same engine, that had the cast intake manifold fitted to it. Is this manifold called a "Cobra"  intake manifold, by you guys?
Ford  of Australia, have stated all these engines have a " Cobra" cam fitted to them, but I can verify, from at least 4 people  including myself, all these engines had a cam with xxxxx GT xxxx, stamped into them, between the distributor drive gear, & the first cam lobe. On the rear of my
 camshaft, I have a date stamp, of 02/11/ 95 ?
Can anybody help me out, with what this cam is supposed to be?
Getting information out of Ford Australia, is almost impossible.
Why was the "Cobra" cam ditched for the "GT" cam?
If it is of any help, the EB GT & ED Sprint use  EEC IV.
The EL GT uses EEC V.
I am sorry for the long first post, & it is probably very boring to you guys, but when 3 guys ring me & ask, "I thought these engines had "Cobra" camshafts fitted to them", you begin to question what else has Ford Australia done to these engines, with out telling us about?
    Greg.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 05:23:07 pm »

If you are able to measure the cam lift and events, this may help.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,28873.0.html

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
project064
2stroke

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 02:31:35 am »

Thanks for the quick reply, juiced coupe.
It would appear the original camshaft installed in my engine, is the same camshaft installed in the 1993 Cobra GT 40 Mustang.
It would also appear the same camshaft was installed in the 1993 Cobra "R" engined Mustang.
According to Ford, this camshaft slightly reduced HP, but increased Torque. I am awaiting the Cam specs of the other two engines, to confirm my research.
Greg. Wink
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 02:42:09 pm »

And just for reference, the 93-95 Cobra/93 R cam was also used in other applications (93 Thunderbird HO).

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: