Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 11:49:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
433224 Posts in 37063 Topics by 9458 Members
Latest Member: Rich351
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Small Block Windsor
| | |-+ looking for opinions on engine build for 67 mustang
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: looking for opinions on engine build for 67 mustang  (Read 818 times)
bigblocktisdale
4 Banger

« on: January 02, 2017, 07:45:03 pm »

looking for opinions.
this is what I have its a 67 mustang with a 68 302 4v, 5spd and 4.11 gears
last summer I had the heads redone with new valves and hardened seats. at that time I installed new cam and a 2x4 intake with 390cfm carbs. It runs good up 5500rpm then falls pretty flat after that.
before it had a performer intake and a 650 VS carb the cam I pulled was a factory c9oz C cam. It ran good all the way to 6000rpm plus with wore out heads.
it mainly gets used as a cruiser for my wife and I, and I am looking at adding more pep to it. But would like to keep it drivable, since I already have a drag race car that eats 100 dollar bills like no tomorrow.
I have some parts laying around that I would like to use with some options.
I have a numbers matching 289 that I could start with, or a 88 302 roller short  block. I also have some Windsor senior heads too.
What I want is something in the neighbor hood of 400hp but be able to drive it cross country.

my thought were to do a 289 or the 302 with some pop up pistons to keep compression around 10to 1. and have it pull all the way to 6500 rpm. fuel mileage don't bother me it has dual quads which I want to keep. 

any ideas?

thanks
Steve

P.S the old cams spec are 290 adv dur with .470 lift. new cam specs 218 int and 222 exh @.050 with .480 lift
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 08:29:17 pm »

347 with your World Products heads. Custom hydraulic roller cam with matching valvetrain.

The power is achievable with a 289/302 under the right conditions but should be a no brainer for a decent 347.

Just for reference, which dual quad intake are you using? Some of them are pretty lame.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:31:43 pm »

C.i.d is your friend so look into the 331-347 stroker kits.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
bigblocktisdale
4 Banger

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 09:06:23 pm »

347 with your World Products heads. Custom hydraulic roller cam with matching valvetrain.

The power is achievable with a 289/302 under the right conditions but should be a no brainer for a decent 347.

Just for reference, which dual quad intake are you using? Some of them are pretty lame.

I have the blue thunder intake. its a repop of the ford one from the 60s
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 09:10:54 pm »

If you want to make a real 400 hp with that intake, cubic inches will be mandatory. It wouldn't surprise me if that intake is giving up 30+ hp to a modern dual plane.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
bigblocktisdale
4 Banger

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 09:16:26 pm »

If you want to make a real 400 hp with that intake, cubic inches will be mandatory. It wouldn't surprise me if that intake is giving up 30+ hp to a modern dual plane.

Maybe I will have to lower my horse power expectaions
bigblocktisdale
4 Banger

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 09:20:53 pm »

I was kinda hoping to do a .030 289 or .030 302. what do you think one of those to would make for power with Windsor SR heads and a custom cam.
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 09:57:38 pm »

I was kinda hoping to do a .030 289 or .030 302. what do you think one of those to would make for power with Windsor SR heads and a custom cam.

With that intake? 350 at flywheel.

Look closer into the 347 stroker kits. By the time you buy everything you need, there probably isn't much price difference.

I honestly don't get it.

bigblocktisdale
4 Banger

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 11:16:34 pm »

I will look into a 347 kit
Thanks
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 02:37:17 am »

I just thought about it, I had trouble with dual 390s on a friends 302 about 15 years ago. We had to modify the carbs to get them to work properly. There just wasn't enough airflow to open the secondaries.

If you don't already have them, you need the secondary canister tops that connect together with a vacuum line.

We had to enlarge the hole from the venturi that goes to the vacuum canister. I don't remember the size, we just experimented with a pin drill set.

After enlarging the hole, you will need to tune the secondary opening rate with different springs. Unless they have changed, the dual quad vacuum canister lids aren't the quick change type.

I'd also recommend the Quick Fuel metering plates with replaceable jets.

I honestly don't get it.

bigblocktisdale
4 Banger

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 12:00:24 pm »

I do have the vacum canister tops that connects with a vacation line. I also have the lightest springs in there too. But I will use my son's go pro camera and see if they are opening. I never thought about enlarging the feed port. Thank for the tip.
It almost feels like you let up on the gas pedal some, it that obvious at 5500rpm. I have thought about putting the old cam back in since I numbered the lifters when I took it out.
cheapbastard
6 Banger

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 07:53:23 pm »

You have a good start with the 5 speed.  With a 26 inch tall tire and the 4.11s and the typical 5 speed you are only turning around 2300 rpms at 70 miles an hour, about 1800 at 55. So you can give it a bit of cam and still have a top end, especially with a stroker.  I have a bored 306 which runs good but I would trade ti in a second for the extra inches and the compression that comes with it.

If you use the roller block it will save you a bunch of money on the lifters and you will be able to gain horsepower without ruining the drivability.

It sucks to get old but at least the expectations are lower...
65 mustang coupe, 10.4 compression 306, home ported 180 cc Chinese heads, funnel web, Lunati Voodoo Solid flat cam, t5z, 8 inch with 4.62 gears in a locker.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: