Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2018, 10:56:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435157 Posts in 37249 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ SBF for old school drags- Southeast Gassers
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SBF for old school drags- Southeast Gassers  (Read 4780 times)
302_coupe
2stroke

« on: October 31, 2016, 03:34:33 pm »

The Southeast Gassers have made plans for a D/Gas class next year, 10 lbs per cubic inch class rule. They already run A/Gas (6 lb/cube) and C/Gas (8 lb/cube).  I'm starting in D/Gas since I'm not a veteran racer.   These guys race to 1967 rules, and the engines externally must look the part.  Aluminum heads are allowed (must be painted), stock valve angles, no canted valves unless its stock arrangement ( i.e. 351C).  Intakes have to be old school (no air gaps or victors, etc), no dominator carbs, tunnels rams allowed with inline carbs (no sideways), no forced induction or n2o.  Manual trans only, driver clutch, no aids.  Oddly, they do allow 351C and 429/460 even though 1967 rules, obviously FE engines and Y blocks are fine.  I know windsors, so thats the direction I'm taking, hope to start the build in early '17 and start racing the '18 season.  I'm not afraid of a cleveland if it make sense. 

I've got a 50 Ford coupe, Ford says shipping weight was ~2900 lbs, add a cage, driver etc, it should be 3200-3300 lbs at the scales, so I'm thinking 331 stroker.  Can run a bigger engine and add ballast to meet the weight rule.  They race 1/8 mile, and I think to be competitive in D/Gas it'll need to run low 7's.  Traction shouldn't be too difficult in this class, they allow a 30x10 slick, and old school ladder bars and a straight axle up front are req'd by rules.   

As a rough guess, does the collective think 450-500 hp will get my old shoebox some competitive ET's? 
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 10:55:50 am »

The best intake for the 302 back anywhere near that era would be a HEAVILY ported Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic.  That was THE hot intake before the Victor Jr.  Might find an old one that has been fully ported from back in the day if you look really hard.  Else...  it will be time to do a lot of grinding.

As for competitive intakes for a 351W from that era...  they don't exist.  The 351C is your only choice in that displacement range.

If you go 351C, you'll need to find a Strip Dominator. 

Good Luck!

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 11:48:57 am »

The best intake for the 302 back anywhere near that era would be a HEAVILY ported Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic.  That was THE hot intake before the Victor Jr. 

What He Said

Another option would be a ported Edelbrock Torker 289.

The hard part will be finding a unmodified version to start with. These intakes were often hacked on by backyard porters. I remember people selling them at about scrap metal prices, now they fetch decent money on ebay.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
302_coupe
2stroke

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 12:35:11 pm »

power wise, how would the torker and port-o-sonic compare to a tunnel ram?  The engine will primarily operate from 5000-7000rpm.   
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 02:06:08 pm »

power wise, how would the torker and port-o-sonic compare to a tunnel ram?  The engine will primarily operate from 5000-7000rpm.   

If you can use a Tunnel Ram...  Definitely go that route!  The Weiand T-Ram is better than the Offy...  by a lot.
If you cannot use a T-Ram, the Ported Offy POS is the best, then the Torker/Weiand 7515 Accelerator. 

Good Luck!

9.88 @ 135.67
302_coupe
2stroke

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 02:52:54 pm »

tunnel rams are allowed and seem to be a common choice, at least among the SBCs in the class. 

juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 06:46:24 pm »

tunnel rams are allowed and seem to be a common choice, at least among the SBCs in the class. 

The inline carb deal is the worst part of that. So that leaves AFBs and Holley 450 TR carbs, 390/600 VS's, and 660s. None of those are really appealing to me. The 660 center squirters aren't too bad but finding parts can be troublesome at times.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 06:49:54 pm »

The inline carb deal is the worst part of that. So that leaves AFBs and Holley 450 TR carbs, 390/600 VS's, and 660s. None of those are really appealing to me. The 660 center squirters aren't too bad but finding parts can be troublesome at times.

You can get adapters to turn them sideways, if you want to run double pumpers.

9.88 @ 135.67
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 07:24:23 pm »

You can get adapters to turn them sideways, if you want to run double pumpers.

Rules:

Intakes have to be old school (no air gaps or victors, etc), no dominator carbs, tunnels rams allowed with inline carbs (no sideways)

I honestly don't get it.

quickshift
Big Block

...I'm old as dirt (says Lil joe)

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 09:08:28 pm »

Another option would be a ported Edelbrock Torker 289.

This is what I run on my 289....pulls strong to 8600 +!   4 Eyed

71 Comet, 289,351w heads,RR's,12.5 TRWs,ported torker/750DP, Liberty Top Loader (2.78), 9"/6.00s, tubbed,ladder bars,11.9xs@110 ..bla,bla,bla
84Cougar,88HO,Eddy RPM/700DP, 1.7RRs, shorty's, 8.8/4.10s,T-5/Hurst Pro Billet, K/C clutch...bla,bla,bla

Never shoot your mouth off unless your brain is loaded.   If you're not laughing...you're not living!
302_coupe
2stroke

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 10:05:00 am »

Class rules for dual carbs is 660 cfm each max, no center hung float bowls, must be in-line not sideways.

If single carb, can run larger cfm with center hung floats, and must have scoop sticking through the hood.  

Either way, the carb has to be the traditional gold colored cast Holley, no modern style Holley remakes.  

Rochesters are allowed even though some are larger than 660 cfm. I'm not sure if AFB's or Edelbrocks are allowed-haven't seen anyone running those or the Rochester, regardless.  

Ammosteve
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Steven Daniels

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 10:40:47 am »

Are you allowed to use and aftermarket block?
302_coupe
2stroke

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 12:13:24 pm »

yes, just can't be aluminum  Was thinking about a Dart SHP. 
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 12:27:08 pm »

A 331 with aluminum heads and a tunnel ram is very capable of 500 hp and more when done right.  It's also capable of running much faster than 7.00 in the 1/8 when whole package is right.

My opinion is that the class will get a bunch faster by 2018.  A Cleveland with or without aluminum heads, a tunnel ram, and single carb top with a dominator could make some serious power.  Same with a 429-460 Ford or big block Chevy.  They come with a weight penalty but well placed ballast can work to their advantage.  What would they say about an aluminum headed Boss 302 stroked to 331???

I would concentrate as much on the clutch (sintered iron disc fully adjustable pressure plate set up by someone like Rob Youngblood or Tim Hyatt), transmission, and gearing (transmission and rear end) as the engine.  The clutch will help 60ft, consistency, offer adjustment for varying track conditions, and reduce parts breakage when done right.  There can be a few tenths just in the clutch, transmission, and gearing.

I could see this class quickly becoming expensive to compete in and a whole lot faster than 7.00.  Certainly sounds fun though.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
302_coupe
2stroke

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 01:13:25 pm »

I'm not sure if an aluminum headed Boss 331 would be legal, maybe.  I know its not hard to get 500hp out of a 351C - pretty much just cam and compression and rpms.  Dominator carbs aren't allowed.  It would be a heavier engine, and I'd have to add weight to the car, and everything downstream takes add'l stress.  

The goal of the Southeast Gassers is to put on a good show and have fun, re-live heads up racing like it was back then.  Modern technology is generally not allowed, and efforts are made to keep all cars competitive with the genuine counterparts from 1967.  If someone shows up with a survivor A, C or D/Gas car, they want that car to be competitive in its class without having to change it.  A win doesn't have a big payout.  Everyone wants to go fast, and some have more $ to blow on it than others, so there's always that to deal with, that's racing.  But there is no incentive (other than ego) to get all exotic and high dollar for D/Gas - the "slow" class.    

For D/Gas, they start checking weight if you're quicker than 7.25.  C/Gas, they start checking at 6.50.  I think that's a good indicator of what times the competition should be running.  There's no incentive for someone to run 6.50's in D, because it just takes more effort running those times at 10lb/cube than it does at 8lb/cube.  

Hightower transmissions has a trans/clutch package that the fast guys use.  Not cheap but it lasts.  I'll probably have more $ tied up in that than I will the engine.      
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: