Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 12:33:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
434274 Posts in 37162 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ Automatic Transmissions
| | | |-+ Manual valve body, no engine breaking in 1st
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manual valve body, no engine breaking in 1st  (Read 2438 times)
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« on: October 19, 2016, 04:17:53 pm »

My C6 has a Turbo Action "Cheetah" manual valve body, I really like it.

It has engine breaking in 2nd and 3rd.

Seems a common configuration.

What is the purpose behind this?

knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:59:57 pm »

Do you mean the transmission breaks the engine in 2nd and 3rd but not 1st?

The correct term is "brake", I just want to be clear that you know what you're talking about since you clearly said "break".  The terms you use that *should* just be understood could be misconstrued by those with low intellect...

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 05:02:55 pm »

My C6 has a Turbo Action "Cheetah" manual valve body, I really like it.

It has engine breaking in 2nd and 3rd.

Seems a common configuration.

What is the purpose behind this?

Quoting pre edited version...

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:53:21 pm »

Spt at PC  

So clearly he doesn't know the difference between braking and breaking. Seems odd that someone would design a valvebody that breaks the engine. 

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
85_GT
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 06:53:46 pm »

Spt at PC  No, it must be breaking the engine.  He's never wrong.  Ask him...  Guess they're trying to tell him to leave it in first to avoid destruction...  

Or maybe he meant breaking as breaking up...

85GT, Dart Windsor Jr, Crane 2030 equiv. Performer 5.0, 75mm TB, 88mm Slot, 34lbs injectors, 1 5/8" shorties, 5spd converted to 4R70W with Baumann controller, 3.25 9"
A9L running A9P bin via Quarterhorse with LC-1
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 07:12:12 pm »

Spt at PC  No, it must be breaking the engine.  He's never wrong.  Ask him...  Guess they're trying to tell him to leave it in first to avoid destruction...  

Or maybe he meant breaking as breaking up...

Has to be "breaking" the engine. He used the word not once, but twice in the same manner.  Grin

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 07:12:21 pm »

Braking...

Auto spell check on my phone did not help
dennis112
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 07:16:09 pm »

When I first read the title, I thought that he must have meant to say brake.  But then I read his thread and he most definitely wrote the word "break" there too.  

Since he said it twice it has to mean that it breaks his engine in 2nd and 3rd but apparently it won't break it in 1st . . . .  

Fuck if I want a Cheetah valve body in anything. Glad that you're enjoying yours.  

What a Dumb ass   Disgust

Dennis

65' Stang, 434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, 11:1, Braswell Carb, Bullet SR Cam, G101A 4-Speed, 4:56 rear, 93 Octane Pump Gas  9.82@138.00
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 07:28:48 pm »

Looks like the theory behind removing engine braking in 1st was to avoid extremely high RPM when down shifting into first.

Thanks for the replies.
al2
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 08:41:23 pm »

Great thread dumb ass !
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 10:46:34 pm »

Great thread dumb ass !

What do you mean?
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 10:13:40 am »

Looks like the theory behind removing engine braking in 1st was to avoid extremely high RPM when down shifting into first.

Thanks for the replies.

For heavy and powerful I was told that engine braking in 1st helps while doing some burnouts even though I do burnouts in 2nd.  IIRC it helps the sprag.

Are you certain that you have engine braking in 3rd (high gear)?  I don't think that you should.  My C6 with a Broader Performance top of the line valve body has engine braking in 1st and 2nd but not 3rd gear.  At the end of a high MPH run I don't think that you want the engine being lugged down after you let off of the throttle at high speed.

Question -- do you have a reverse or forward shift pattern?

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4" x 3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 flash converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31" x 12.5" R15" on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 04:17:43 pm »

For heavy and powerful I was told that engine braking in 1st helps while doing some burnouts even though I do burnouts in 2nd.  IIRC it helps the sprag.

Are you certain that you have engine braking in 3rd (high gear)?  I don't think that you should.  My C6 with a Broader Performance top of the line valve body has engine braking in 1st and 2nd but not 3rd gear.  At the end of a high MPH run I don't think that you want the engine being lugged down after you let off of the throttle at high speed.

Reverse shift pattern.

Definitely has engine braking in third.

Why would it be bad to engine brake after letting off of the throttle at high speed in third? Seems logical to "disengage" the engine from the transmission so to speak in this scenario, but is there really any harm being done? If so, what is the exact nature of the harm?
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 12:57:13 am »

Reverse shift pattern.

Definitely has engine braking in third.

Why would it be bad to engine brake after letting off of the throttle at high speed in third? Seems logical to "disengage" the engine from the transmission so to speak in this scenario, but is there really any harm being done? If so, what is the exact nature of the harm?

I don't know from experience if there could arise some problems if at high speed you let off of the gas with engine braking in high gear due to such extreme manifold vacuum.  I had forgotten now.  Something about oil or valves due to extreme de-acceleration.

Tongue

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4" x 3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 flash converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31" x 12.5" R15" on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: