Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2018, 12:20:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435248 Posts in 37264 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Cylinder Heads
| | |-+ Another RHS215 vs AFR 205 thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another RHS215 vs AFR 205 thread  (Read 15803 times)
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2016, 06:05:04 pm »

Ok this is so stupid!. Who puts ported stock heads on a 408?. You need to shut up about stuff you have no clue about!.

Even unported they will perform well to what, 3900rpm in a 408? I thought there was material there to get another 2krpm. If that's not the case, so be it. As for who, seen plenty do it on ford truck forums that were happy, unported running to 4k in a truck. This is winsor heads to be specific.

To make sure we are on the same page, which stock heads are you talking about? Which stock heads did you assume I was talking about in my previous posts? Windsor, cleveland? What year?
Stock windsor heads even ported do not have enough port to feed a 408 let alone spending $1000.00 or more on them. Sure Cleveland heads will run good but good luck finding good castings and they are not cheap. The truth is a set of AFR 185's will be worth 100 hp or more.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
dads67coupe
Small Block

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2016, 06:26:00 pm »

Ok this is so stupid!. Who puts ported stock heads on a 408?. You need to shut up about stuff you have no clue about!.

Even unported they will perform well to what, 3900rpm in a 408? I thought there was material there to get another 2krpm. If that's not the case, so be it. As for who, seen plenty do it on ford truck forums that were happy, unported running to 4k in a truck. This is winsor heads to be specific.

To make sure we are on the same page, which stock heads are you talking about? Which stock heads did you assume I was talking about in my previous posts? Windsor, cleveland? What year?
Stock windsor heads even ported do not have enough port to feed a 408 let alone spending $1000.00 or more on them. Sure Cleveland heads will run good but good luck finding good castings and they are not cheap. The truth is a set of AFR 185's will be worth 100 hp or more.

I have a set of cleveland 4v heads, but by the time I have them ported, put a good valvetrain in and have them machine for things like hardened seats, there is only a few hundred bux difference to get AFR 205s

z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 06:26:35 pm »

At what rpm would a stock windor head, in your opinion, no longer flow adequetly on a 408? Again, folks consistently report that it works fine unported to 4krpm and in truck applications people are happy with that as far as I have seen on other forums.

When I said stock, I did not specify windsor. I simply said stock  (all inclusive) and asked if he had any stock heads and that it might be worth considering depending on what he has.

You are acting like I said stock windsor heads are superior to aftermarket aluminum counterparts.
dads67coupe
Small Block

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2016, 06:33:57 pm »

The difference in what someone says is fine, and leaving 100-150 hp on the table due to shitty heads is why I am buying heads
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2016, 06:37:43 pm »

I have a set of cleveland 4v heads, but by the time I have them ported, put a good valvetrain in and have them machine for things like hardened seats, there is only a few hundred bux difference to get AFR 205s

Well it looks like porting your stock heads could get good results after all. Who would have thought?

I would personally look hard in that direction, but that's just me.

Pretty sure I could get good machine work and valvetrain components good for 6k rpm for less than the 205s by more than a few hundred.
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2016, 06:42:04 pm »

The difference in what someone says is fine, and leaving 100-150 hp on the table due to shitty heads is why I am buying heads

From what I gather the cam and intake selection were matched to the flow characteristics of the heads and the goal was to get as much torque off the line as possible without any regard for peak hp, and all this was done for not that much $$. Big trucks btw, not cars that they want to go fast in.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2016, 07:00:13 pm »

At what rpm would a stock windor head, in your opinion, no longer flow adequetly on a 408? Again, folks consistently report that it works fine unported to 4krpm and in truck applications people are happy with that as far as I have seen on other forums.

By by average cross section calculations, a unported E7 or similar head would reach 330 ft/sec at just over 3500 rpm. A typically ported E7 or unported GT40 would reach 330 ft/sec at around 4100 rpm.

330 ft/sec is about as high as you usually want to go. The engine may continue to rev higher, but the power should start dropping off at a quick rate.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:59:00 pm by juiced coupe » Logged

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2016, 10:29:32 pm »

Not a lot of budget conscious intakes or headers available for clevors...

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
dads67coupe
Small Block

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2016, 07:15:59 am »

Not a lot of budget conscious intakes or headers available for clevors...
Thats another reason why I am doing a windsor...... along with all the mods needed to build a clevor...
scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2016, 07:43:14 am »

Just to put things into perspective...  289 heads have an intake port volume of 126cc...  and that 126cc is NOT a great design.  Pretty much all SBF standard factory heads suck.  The 69-70 351W heads are the best, but calling them the 'best' is being VERY generous!  lol  The GT40 units are better than the 69-70 351W pieces, but still don't come close to what's available from the aftermarket. 

Factory SBF heads are too small for a 289...  let alone anything bigger.  It's why the SBC kicked the SBF's ass until aftermarket heads came out.  (if you remember those days)

There is absolutely ZERO reason to put a factory head on ANYTHING outside of a stock rebuild.  The ONLY thing I would EVER consider would be possibly a GT40 head on an almost stock 302.  PERIOD.

Anyway, there's my two pennies.

Naughty

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
Bam54
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2016, 03:05:54 pm »

We have a set of RHS 215s on a 363 that we bought bare and put our own valve train in they run good. One thing they don't tell you is they have a funky plug placement which can cause issues with headers the valves are moved a little to make room for the port. So for ease of installation definitely go with the AFR. If you haven't bought a crank, balancer or flexplate/flywheel go internal balance.

Bam

"Take the horse out of the barn and let her run baby run"

www.ponyexpressracing.com

CHI headed 454 Clevor
9.24@142 1.30 60ft N/A
5.84@117 1.28 60ft N/A
3040lbs race weight
dads67coupe
Small Block

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2016, 07:37:21 pm »

buying AFR heads and internal grey (not black) crank from woody in the morning. Got all the pricing and info from Nicole today and made my bank deposit!

I am friggin stoked to say the least. This is the first aftermarket head purchase I have made for new parts. I have bought some swap meet and craigslist stuff before, but never shiny new stuff. The lead time will be painful, but worth it
wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2016, 08:44:12 pm »

Grand. Take a pic of your smiling face when you open the box. Post it
woody
FordStrokers.com-SBFTech.com Owner
Administrator
Big Block

Old School

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2016, 08:51:52 pm »

I got you covered my friend. Lets get in contact tomorrow, I cant usually hear the phone after 2pm when my wife leaves because I am usually on a machine

331-347 Short Blocks 2099.00 and up
408-418-427 Short Blocks (F4 Roller Blocks Standard) 2399.99 and up
Dart Shorts 4199.00+
D.I.Y Shortblocks 1799.00

FordStrokers.com

Make sure you get your information from the internet gurus that haven't built SHIT, they did sleep at Holiday Inn last night, and we have a few of those gurus right here on this forum. Smiley
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2016, 12:05:41 am »

buying AFR heads and internal grey (not black) crank from woody in the morning. Got all the pricing and info from Nicole today and made my bank deposit!

I am friggin stoked to say the least. This is the first aftermarket head purchase I have made for new parts. I have bought some swap meet and craigslist stuff before, but never shiny new stuff. The lead time will be painful, but worth it

Cool. Out of curiosity, what is the estimated time of arrival?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: