Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2018, 03:45:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435265 Posts in 37271 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Joel 5.0's Electronic Engine Management
| | |-+ EEC_IV Troubleshooting Procedures
| | | |-+ 12 volts coming through pin 1 (ground) on EEC relay terminal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12 volts coming through pin 1 (ground) on EEC relay terminal  (Read 5859 times)
skratpiece
Stroked Small Block

« on: August 27, 2016, 09:27:15 am »

A friend of mine installed a tachometer. He tapped into the red with green stripe wire and set up the tech. He went to start the car and it wouldn't start so he ran down his battery trying to start it. When he connected jumper cables to the car they started to heat up. Come to find out the fuel pump wasn't coming on. We're not sure what the underlying issues are, but now we're back tracing and we've got 12 v at pin 1 on the EEC relay terminal. I'm familiar with how to diag relays and this is unusual to me. How could 12v be coming through that terminal? Is this terminal chassis ground, or is it grounded with the ECU? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 12:59:40 pm »

I assume you are checking with key "off"?

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
skratpiece
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 01:09:11 pm »

Checking with Key on or Key off. 12 volts through the ground wire. I removed the pin from the connector just to make sure I wasn't getting any terminals contacting and u still got the sane result. There us 12 volts coming through the EEC relay ground terminal.

I assume you are checking with key "off"?
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 03:31:06 pm »

Probs need to research your codes.  Most likely someone will know whe to go with them

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
liljoe07
"Gentleman Joe"
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

Feed your MILD side

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 03:58:58 pm »

It's relay coil. It's common to see power through the windings of the coil. Tell us what your issue is as to why you are checking this.

89 Coupe:
347- Canfield 195's, Holley Systemax II, Jones Cam, 3" Exhaust, 3" Spintechs, QuarterHorse, BE/EA

Well since you friggin disagree with every damn suggestion, just rebuild the piece of shit.
skratpiece
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 10:33:24 am »

The 12volts present at the ground wire with no relay plugged in. Yes, you read that correctly. I've never seen this before and don't know how it's possible unless some wires got burnt up or something. The fuel pump is not coming on. This is why we have began diagnosing. We started with EEC relay and immediately discovered this. As I mentioned this began after he installed a tach and jumped the battery.
Haystack
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 11:47:16 am »

My buddy had this happen to one of his cars. The eec chassis ground near the battery was spliced and the wire fell out of the connector under some tape.

Check resistance to ground at the battery to verify from any grounded sensor (tps, map ect)

1987 Ford thunderbird. sn-95 t-5, f-150 clutch and flywheel behind a 5.0 s.o. weighs about 3500lbs.
1986 cougar gs. 5.0 s.o. and aod.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: