Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2018, 08:17:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
434844 Posts in 37222 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Camshafts
| | |-+ Lunati 20350611 with 190FAC
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lunati 20350611 with 190FAC  (Read 7575 times)
RickS
6 Banger

« on: August 06, 2016, 04:58:58 pm »

I am looking to put together parts I have for my driver 85 Capri and want to keep the cost down.
I might be able to pick up a lunati 20350611 cam at a low cost http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1654&gid=254

I have a low mileage 302 short block from a 84gt and a set of 190FAC heads that will give me about 8.9 cr.
I also have to go with it 1 5/8" into 3" long tube headers 2.5" exhaust, weiand accelerator or a performer rpm intake and will need to buy a carb 600-700 cfm.The car has 3.27 gears and 5 speed trans (have a set of 3.55 I can put in).

So my question what rpm would this combo make peak TQ and HP (4500 TQ, 5500 HP) and about how much TQ and HP would it put out?

Thanks
Jeff351w
Big Block

393 build & new trans in progress

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 01:37:54 am »

I can't answer your question, but why would you install a cam that tops out on lift at .477" on heads that flow well far past that?  I'm ignoring the duration for now.

Quote from: mighty mouse

I often have tires with just too much tread or a fuel tank that is just too full. Accept no substitutes!
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 08:45:12 am »

Why spend $275 for an OTS cam, when a much better custom cam can be had for $100 or so more?

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
RickS
6 Banger

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 11:44:18 am »

Thanks for the replies
CDW  I can get this cam for $75 and the $300 not spent on a custom cam will come close to buying the lifters. I under stand that a custom crafted setup would be best but cash flow is of the most importance.

Jeff that is a good point but with the short block I will be using I will never be able to go to the full lift the heads are capable of operating at. Also one of the reasons I was asking this question is I was looking at different cams on cam quest with about the same duration as this one. One had a lift of .480 and the other .533 and they were only 2 HP and 2 TQ difference between the two. So I was thinking .477 would not be that much of a difference between the two above. I was also wanting to make sure I was using cam quest right because both of those cams were showing 388-390 HP and that seemed high to me.

z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 01:04:43 pm »

Well with that low of a budget, you don't get to pick the parts, the parts have to pick you. Wether or not the parts are ideal becomes irrelevant. In your case the parts are probably not perfectly matched, but it is what it is and it will be drivable as long as it is set up and tuned properly.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 02:23:59 pm »

I was also wanting to make sure I was using cam quest right because both of those cams were showing 388-390 HP and that seemed high to me.

I'll repeat something that I've said in the past. Most of the time, things are worth what they cost. Cam Quest cost nothing, and thats about what its worth. Its reminiscent of the old Desktop Dyno from the early 2000s. Its nothing more than a toy to convince people to buy their cams.

I might be able to pick up a lunati 20350611 cam at a low cost http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1654&gid=254

I have a low mileage 302 short block from a 84gt and a set of 190FAC heads that will give me about 8.9 cr.

That cam is a horrible mismatch with the springs that come on those heads. It is miles away from the coil bind spec. Some 1.7 rockers would be better but still far from ideal.

You can also shim the springs some, but I'd avoid too much pressure with the SADI cam core. Id probably stop around 160# on the seat.

weiand accelerator or a performer rpm intake

Do you own these intakes, or are you looking to buy?

The ports on both are really too small for those heads but the X-Celerator is a horrible mismatch. Also, the newer Weiand intakes look to be cast offshore.

An older X-Celerator with quality port work could work nice. But if buying new, a RPM or Air-Gap would likely serve beast.

will need to buy a carb 600-700 cfm.

I would avoid vacuum secondary carbs all together. A 650 Double Pumper is a good choice. Its a proven performer and is fairly easy to tune.

I can get this cam for $75 and the $300 not spent on a custom cam will come close to buying the lifters.

Whats wrong with the shortblock in the 85? It should have a roller cam already as well as forged pistons.

Stepping backwards to the 84 block requires the use of more expensive link bar lifters. Unless the 85 short block is in poor condition, it would likely be cheaper to re-ring it.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: