Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2018, 11:33:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
434530 Posts in 37192 Topics by 9526 Members
Latest Member: notchbackjoe
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ 351W Small Blocks
| | | |-+ Upgrades for Ford Racing 351?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Upgrades for Ford Racing 351?  (Read 9710 times)
Blake
2stroke

« on: May 24, 2016, 04:12:14 am »

Hello all, new guy here, long time street rodder.

In one of our builds we have a ford racing 351 (M-6007-C351), the one with the 362 hp. We are looking at making a few upgrades and would like to see if you guys have some ideas that we haven't thought of yet.

We haven't made any changes on it other than a little hotter ignition, the carb is a Holley 750 hp.

We thought about forced induction of some kind, but most supercharger/turbo motors seem to like automatics, and this one has three pedals.

Injection is still up in the air, but we have heard mixed emotions on injection kits these days.

We were thinking more along the lines of heads, cam, intake, different carb.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks!
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:59:42 am »

Injection is still up in the air, but we have heard mixed emotions on injection kits these days.

We were thinking more along the lines of heads, cam, intake, different carb.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks!

Your question is about as open ended as it gets.

Not anywhere near enough info as to what you are able and willing to do, to spend, what your goals are etc.
Blake
2stroke

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 04:22:19 pm »

Well we build motors and street rods, so that should clear up abilities. We can pull the motor if we need to, but I'd rather leave it in place. I don't really want to get in to the short block (other than a cam swap) because it's so solid, I'd rather do all the upgrades on the top end. Budget right now is pretty high, I don't have an exact dollar amount, probably somewhere in the 3-5k ballpark. Goal is an extra 75-100 ponies.
Blake
2stroke

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 06:22:30 pm »

I'm going to do heads and cam for sure. It has gt40 heads, hydraulic cam m-6250-A332, and 9.0:1 compression currently. If I can get some specific suggestions on head and cam recommendations I sure would appreciate it.

What I'm not so sure about is induction. I'm totally open for suggestions on that. It currently has the dual plane performer rpm intake and a Holley 750 hp carb.

Thanks!
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 08:29:36 pm »

You have many choices depending on your budget. AFR Renegade 185's and camshaft will net you 100hp. The TFS twisted wedge are another good choice. You may need to notch the pistons with any of these heads. A more budget approach is a good 3 angle valve job on those aluminum GT40 heads plus camshaft swap which could net 50hp or so. You could also mill them .030 if they are the 64cc models.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports 25.2 outlaw drag radial stock suspension 1991 Mustang
Thank You to the following for their help
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite
Ultimate Converter Concepts

"Stupid is as stupid does", "You can't fix stupid"
"Common sense is not common"
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 08:07:52 am »

I'd go with 225 high ports and a port matched vic jr intake.  Get a custom cam ground, and it'll put a smile on your face.

You need more carb, too.  Again, a custom carb set up for your specific combo is the best choice.  For efi, I can recommend holley.  I have their HP system...I had some problems with hardware failure, but they finally made it right.  It's fairly easy to use, and the tech guys can help if you have triuble areas.

95 gt-R.I.P.
2004 cobra-needs more boost
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 04:38:51 pm »

Sure TFS 225 high ports would be nice but would eat all of his budget and still need different pistons along with a ported victor jr intake and etc. I think they are a just a little over kill for his needs.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite

knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 05:32:37 pm »

This is the first I'm hearing of high ports requiring special pistons.

The hp's are 2500...how much are afr 185?  If there's room under the hood, a super vic will work instead of cleaning up a vic jr.

My philosophy is it's better to aim above your target

95 gt-R.I.P.
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 06:27:33 pm »

This is the first I'm hearing of high ports requiring special pistons.

The hp's are 2500...how much are afr 185?  If there's room under the hood, a super vic will work instead of cleaning up a vic jr.

My philosophy is it's better to aim above your target
High ports have always needed specific but off the shelf pistons from day one.  The AFR 185's $1600-$1700, the TFS 170's less than that. It does not appear that he needs a cylinder head capable of 700hp  when he is working with a 9:1 stock 351W short block. Plus to make those 225 work to their potential now you need shaft rocker arms and custom headers which is more money. Over kill is not always needed or affordable.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite

knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 07:57:03 pm »

It's 9:1 now...that can change.

You don't know his needs, as they haven't been stated.  You also don't know that custom headers are required, as we don't know what vehicle it's going in.  Lots of assumptions going on in here.

Last I heard, high ports are inline heads...still not seeing the piston change.  Trick flow lists them as requiring inline style pistons or HP specific pistons. 

What happened to the "big heads DO work on small engines" mentality?  With the same redline and correct valve events, the 225 high ports will outperform smaller heads on a 351...right?  Who said you have to max it out with shaft rockers, etc?

I posted what I would do.  That may or may not be ideal for someone else. 

95 gt-R.I.P.
Blake
2stroke

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 08:04:08 pm »

It has to be streetable, we won't be racing it on a track ever. It's decent now with the power we have, we just want a little more. It's a '60 F100, so tons of hood space.
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 08:09:38 pm »

You don't know his needs, as they haven't been stated.  You also don't know that custom headers are required, as we don't know what vehicle it's going in.  Lots of assumptions going on in here.

It's a 362hp engine. He said that in his first post.

He said he wants an extra 75-100hp.

His needs are known, no assumption was made. If you didn't know his needs then that because you were not paying attention.
knucklefux
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 08:37:42 pm »

Fuck off dickhead

95 gt-R.I.P.
Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 08:46:24 pm »

You don't know his needs, as they haven't been stated.  You also don't know that custom headers are required, as we don't know what vehicle it's going in.  Lots of assumptions going on in here.

Last I heard, high ports are inline heads...still not seeing the piston change.  Trick flow lists them as requiring inline style pistons or HP specific pistons.  

What happened to the "big heads DO work on small engines" mentality?  With the same redline and correct valve events, the 225 high ports will outperform smaller heads on a 351...right?  Who said you have to max it out with shaft rockers, etc?

I posted what I would do.  That may or may not be ideal for someone else.  
He said $3,000-$5,000 budget!. Yes the high ports take specific pistons..........a mild .500 lift cam may clear the pistons if they are 2.02 intake valve, but maybe not. For sure not 2.080!!!!!. Standard bolt pattern headers will choke off the exhaust port so now he needs headers, plus the exhaust ports are raised!. Shaft rockers make life so much better on high ports but its obvious you never worked with them. Sure stud mount rocker arms can be used but its ugly.  Big heads on a small engine can work great with the correct camshaft but are high ports needed for 450hp?.............heck no.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite

Outlaw Bill
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 08:58:05 pm »

It has to be streetable, we won't be racing it on a track ever. It's decent now with the power we have, we just want a little more. It's a '60 F100, so tons of hood space.
I don't think you need to spend alot of money to gain the power you want. The best route would be a AFR 185 or TFS 170/190 as cast twisted wedge heads plus the hydraulic roller. Then sell your GT40 aluminum heads for what ever you can get. Not too hard or expensive to get 450hp.

www.TeamZmotorsports.net

TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composite

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: