Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 01:58:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435164 Posts in 37251 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Joel 5.0's Electronic Engine Management
| | |-+ EEC_IV Troubleshooting Procedures
| | | |-+ Badly Shaking 1998 5 litre?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Badly Shaking 1998 5 litre?  (Read 2471 times)
Cold Aussie
Stroked Small Block

« on: January 12, 2016, 12:22:36 am »

Hi all
Happy NewYear!
my son has just purchased a 1998 Australian AU Fairmont Ghia 5 litre. It shakes badly at idle and at low revs. Mounts are fine. It runs on eight, I have checked and replaced the plugs. I sure that the leads and coil packs are OK as the plugs look great after a couple hundred mile.
Apparently the shake started when the previos owner replaced the exhaust system. Is it possible that a damaged or incorrect O2 sensor couls cause a bad shake?
Regards
Stephen

66GT A Code, Jim Woods 347. CI cam with the works.
68 Cougar, stock for now, However Jim has built a Dart based 427 for this car.Custom cam with the works. Still sitting just in front of the car! 1970 Torono 429.
FG FPV Utility, the last Aussie V8 Falcon Ute.
Sons Ute 2011 Falcon FG XR^ Turbo, 6 spped Tremec, 3.45 lsd.
Haystack
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 01:01:44 am »

What do the codes say? I'm unsure of when Australia did the switch to oobd2...

I'd guess maf or map/bap sensor with no knowledge of what's wrong. I'd run codes and check vacuum lines or check sensors.

1987 Ford thunderbird. sn-95 t-5, f-150 clutch and flywheel behind a 5.0 s.o. weighs about 3500lbs.
1986 cougar gs. 5.0 s.o. and aod.
SlickTang
Small Block

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 01:24:57 am »

That car has the EEC-V. It's a 235hp 302.  Did they mess with the balancer on the front of the engine at all? Maybe installed underwrite pulleys? It seems odd if it was missing bad enough to cause a shake,  that the spark plugs still look good.

As he said, pull the codes first and see what it's thinking.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
Haystack
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 01:32:19 am »

If you've ever had a bad/disconnected map sensor, the car won't idle and will buck like crazy. While driving it will behave normally but get bad gas mileage.

When my map sensor died I couldn't even keep it running until 2k rpm's when cold, but once warmed up it drove fine and still got average MPG.

1987 Ford thunderbird. sn-95 t-5, f-150 clutch and flywheel behind a 5.0 s.o. weighs about 3500lbs.
1986 cougar gs. 5.0 s.o. and aod.
SlickTang
Small Block

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 06:50:48 am »

If you've ever had a bad/disconnected map sensor, the car won't idle and will buck like crazy. While driving it will behave normally but get bad gas mileage.

When my map sensor died I couldn't even keep it running until 2k rpm's when cold, but once warmed up it drove fine and still got average MPG.

I had map sensor trouble on a Ranger once. The vacuum line wore a hole in it and it kept filling the oil full of gas. Map sensors are tricky Devils.  When I unplug the maf my car always dies all together, but that could be due to the cam, so I didn't think about that.  But wouldn't bad mileage mean it'd be running rich and have black plugs?

I've ran mine without the h pipe, but I can't remember if it bucked at idle. The 02 sensors shouldn't affect it when it's in closed loop mode though.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 05:48:38 am »

Make sure the O2 sensors are connected to the correct harness connector.  Bank 1 O2-to-bank 1 connector and bank 2 O2-to-bank 2 connector. LUK

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: