Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2021, 06:39:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435311 Posts in 37295 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Power and Drivetrain Combos
| | |-+ 289/302 - non-stroker combos
| | | |-+ Not a proven combo, just my van............wait, what?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not a proven combo, just my van............wait, what?  (Read 80393 times)
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2015, 07:08:06 pm »

David needs to get that cam out for me so i can buy it and slow down lol...............
LOL, soon. It's got an issue I need to resolve first before I pull the motor, and I have to dyno it too...

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
SlickTang
Small Block

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2016, 11:30:23 am »

Rodney,  you said after the 1st of the year the van was getting more attention. We are on the edge of our seats with anticipation waiting for the next Installment of RVRL (rape van racing league). Swipe some old lady's oxygen tank and run the line into the breather setup. More complete burnnnnnn. Or you could let 20lbs of air out of each tire. That'd save like 80lbs off the race weight LOL  Spt at PC

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2016, 12:45:51 pm »

Well this weekend was a bust.......no racing sat. due to weather so me and the step son slid up there sunday.........they started 2 hours late due to weather and the place was busy with prima donna grudge cars blowin the tires off, carb back-fires , wrecks and the general nonsense that goes with them when the track temp is 50 degrees..........only made 3 disappointing passes.......9.17/9.20/9.25 all at 73ish  .........DA was good and i'm at a loss why it didnt pick up even a little ...........have got the flowmashers back on now and i'm not sure when i'll get to take it back up there since i have super secret to tinker with and another car project that is slurpin up money as we speak..........hopefully get back up there in  3/4 weeks and try and at least get back in the 9.0's *sigh*

But we will get in the 8's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep saying that and going backwards lol

Rodney Tolleson/VP SBFTech van club
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2016, 01:54:50 pm »

Couple things I thought about. Your Tarrus fan and charging system.

Is your fan on during a pass? I have a WOT switch that shuts mine down.

When you did the electric fan, did you do any charging system upgrades?

Did you use a regular underdrive pulley or your racin pulley?

I ask all of these as related questions. If you're try to run that fan during a pass with a 2G charging system and smaller pulley, you are likely starving the ignition and fuel systems for power.

When my MK-VIII fan starts or stops, it makes a noticeable change in the engine tone. I even hear the fuel pump change tone. I see this on my car and it has a modified 130 amp 3G.

Just something to think about.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:47:18 pm by juiced coupe » Logged

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
SlickTang
Small Block

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2016, 04:00:41 pm »

Juiced that is a brilliant idea with the fan. I've wired them where I can have them run whenever I want with a switch and otherwise run in auto mode. Never thought about the alternator/voltage drain.

Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2016, 08:00:37 am »

Fan is off when making runs as it is a strain on the system like you thought.....doesnt run hot in this weather anyway, i click it on in the shutdown area and run the van (and all my cars) as little as possible in staging etc. to keep'em cool....just weird it didnt pick up any..........thought it might be lean from the bullets so i upped the fuel pressure (44 to 46) after the first pass and it slowed....went down to 42 and it slowed some more and it pinged a hair on the last one so i went back to 44 and took a degree or so of timing out......then a grudge car wrecked and it was 7:30 so i decided to head out.....did bring cardboard and tape for the grill but i was so far away from the 8's i didnt try it lol.............

David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2016, 08:15:54 pm »

I've got the bellmouth for the grill opened up, picked up another explorer upper, going to cut that open tomorrow, should have that back together for the next time I'm over that way, along with that lower.

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2016, 08:42:33 pm »

mmmmmnnnn................experimentation makes me hungry ............................just need the weather to cooperate

Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2016, 10:28:34 am »

Well saturday got rained out but i made a executive last minute decision to go late sunday as they decided to run and i had put the flowsmashers back on...............on the road beastin it up!

Got there and is was basically deserted lol............swapped tires, threw my garage sale out on the turf and hit the lanes........
9.06@74.4
9.11@74.1

Pretty much back where i started............then a craft project broke out.........all i could think of was how proud juiced would be!

Until it ran a 9.15@73.9 ................dang! Another ace up my sleeve that didnt work..........tore the craft project up and 9.12@74 Dissapointed

Cooled it down and another pass yielded a 9.36 (spun)@73.45 and a hot lap 9.12@74...........let it cool a little and my last 2 were
9.12@74
9.10@73.9

Sssooooooo............guess i'll try it again when Dave gets the super exploder intake polished up

Had fun didnt break anything and put 8 more laps on the hardest working 302 at the track

SlickTang
Small Block

« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2016, 01:00:17 pm »

9.06, so ooooo close!

289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2016, 01:31:05 pm »

Sssooooooo............guess i'll try it again when Dave gets the super exploder intake polished up

If that doesn't work it's time to slap some go fast parts stickers on it and get crazy with the sawzall.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2016, 02:04:35 pm »

Pretty much back where i started............then a craft project broke out.........all i could think of was how proud juiced would be!

Until it ran a 9.15@73.9 ................dang! Another ace up my sleeve that didnt work..........tore the craft project up and 9.12@74 Dissapointed

Well, it was worth a shot.

But I did notice something. Where is the headlight ram air system? I know the traditional lights are harder to remove, but this is about pride.

But all this makes me wonder how much more your fuel system can support, mainly the 14# injectors.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2016, 06:15:20 pm »

But I did notice something. Where is the headlight ram air system? I know the traditional lights are harder to remove, but this is about pride.

But all this makes me wonder how much more your fuel system can support, mainly the 14# injectors.
See that little hole over towards the D/S headlight...
I've got a bellmouth that we can ziptie to the grill with a larger inlet pipe, and maybe will bring my 80MM-R throttle body to borrow once I get the engine out of MIB. I've also got a zip saw to remove any offending sheetmetal that might get in the way of the inlet pipe 

Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2016, 06:37:17 pm »

Yeah i was hoping for a little........i found the old car craft mag and they picked up a tenth in the 1/4 and a mph or so...it was a old 273 belvedere running 18's lol...............

Yeah my peekaboo grill hole holds the ram air but that is being looked at also.................its also got 19#'s...fancy 4-hole ones also 

SlickTang
Small Block

« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2016, 06:51:41 pm »

I don't feel like reading back. Did you ever say if you had some 1.7's to throw on it?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: