Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 02:06:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435311 Posts in 37295 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Power and Drivetrain Combos
| | |-+ 289/302 - non-stroker combos
| | | |-+ Not a proven combo, just my van............wait, what?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not a proven combo, just my van............wait, what?  (Read 77996 times)
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2016, 07:21:08 pm »

What about removing the bumpers? They are only required by law for passenger cars which tells me you don't need them. Pretty good weight savings there. Makes it look more ghetto too!

What about the side mirrors? Weight and aerodynamic savings.

What about replacing the glass with plexiglass? Not that hard, costs a little and saves a decent amount of weight.

Fiberglass hood? They are out there and cost about $100. Most have a scoop.

Insulate the air intake ducting all the way up to the TB with thermotec and create a true cold air intake. Every 10^F that you lower the air intake temp gains you 1% HP....or so I have read.

Insulate the header primaries with thermotec.

Try a 160^ thermostat.

Relocate the battery to the rear.

gmatt9858
Big Block

« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2016, 07:27:54 pm »

There used to be a member here who once mentioned putting a  rheostat in the water temp circuit tricking the computer into thinking the temp was lower. Any merit to that idea?
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2016, 08:02:34 pm »

There used to be a member here who once mentioned putting a  rheostat in the water temp circuit tricking the computer into thinking the temp was lower. Any merit to that idea?

I don't speak from first hand experience, but I believe the eec4 computer has more "aggressive" fuel tables and timing curve the lower the coolant temp and this can help from a performance standpoint. Tricking the computer? Not sure how that would work. But I have heard that more performance can be had with 160^ and 180^ thermostats relative to the stock 195^.
SlickTang
Small Block

« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2016, 08:23:16 pm »

What about removing the thermostat all together? You guys thinking of keeping it in closed loop "choke"  mode?

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
z-adamson
#1 fucktard
Big Block

« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2016, 11:29:21 am »

What about removing the thermostat all together? You guys thinking of keeping it in closed loop "choke"  mode?

Bad idea. You want a certain amount of heat for performance and to minimize wear and tear. What is the "perfect operating temp"? That is debatable and depends on vehicle use. Me personally, I like 180^ in my 347.

Some have good luck with a restrictor instead of a stat though.
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2016, 08:48:32 pm »

I mentioned the rack/bumper removal and got this........................

pretty sure that meant my restricted "parking that POS in the driveway sometimes" permit would be revoked permanently, you know how women get when they turn 40

Thats a negatory on the 1.7's ghostrider.............just waitin on the majikstik to be popped outta Davids turd

Has a 180* t-stat and the battery has been moved mid-ship, racks are 31lbs for the pair...........still may try the bumper, the rear is welded in place with a homebrewed reese hitch so its no bueno  but the front is doable, maybe at the track......i'll pop it off this weekend and see what it weighs Wonder, Ponder

Rodney Tolleson/VP SBFTech van club
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2016, 06:53:51 am »

Thats a negatory on the 1.7's ghostrider.............just waitin on the majikstik to be popped outta Davids turd
I've got a set of 1.7 cobra rockers too......

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2016, 12:03:40 am »

I think she's not happy you haven't hit an 8.9x yet. 

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2016, 12:24:32 am »

What about removing the bumpers? They are only required by law for passenger cars which tells me you don't need them. Pretty good weight savings there. Makes it look more ghetto too!

What about the side mirrors? Weight and aerodynamic savings.

What about replacing the glass with plexiglass? Not that hard, costs a little and saves a decent amount of weight.

Fiberglass hood? They are out there and cost about $100. Most have a scoop.

Insulate the air intake ducting all the way up to the TB with thermotec and create a true cold air intake. Every 10^F that you lower the air intake temp gains you 1% HP....or so I have read.

Insulate the header primaries with thermotec.

Try a 160^ thermostat.

Relocate the battery to the rear.

Who woke this guy up?   

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
al2
Big Block

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2016, 08:47:27 am »

Small shot of nitrous would wake it up!
jayh
Big Block

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2016, 01:17:38 pm »

I don't have any o2 sensors to stay in open loop

but I have a pms

425" pump gas 6.2@110
SlickTang
Small Block

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2016, 01:52:25 pm »

I've got a set of 1.7 cobra rockers too......

Right there is your 8.9x!

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2016, 09:35:18 am »

Well its time for an update on the van............i'm sure peoples lives are at a standstill waiting on this so with out further delay.......................

Our last outing wasnt so good, taping the grill and trying the flows again so i had been waiting on David to get the ported intake done......................little did i know he was actually working on a ARC reactor?

It was delivered and bolted on that afternoon for racing the next day..............
first pass netted us a.............9.19@72.87...........holy sheepdip hide the razor blades!  A backup 9.26/.21 didnt improve the mood in the pits and we were doing some head scratching at this point ..............David suggested ditching the first bends in the CAI and it spit out a 9.15@73.72 and a 9.25.....

At this point i just went for broke and threw the bullets on for giggles...i mean if it aint fast it might as well be loud right?
9.07@73.69 wth? The bullets have been tried a few times but never made much difference till now sssoooo we tried a few back ups and played with timing and FP and got 9.13/.08/.14 for our troubles..............sigh, what a bummer, we just knew that intake was gonna push us over the edge....................we did get a free sausage dog at the end of the day Hmmmmm

We discussed the days racing as always at ARBYS on the way home and tried to brainstorm (at least David and Mike did) some ideas to get this brick over the hump..............David suggested some 24lb inj's as a "what could it hurt?" idea and i just happened to have some magic beans laying around and i got my work on the next morning, i also ditched all the intake tubing and just decided to let the TB suck the hair off my legs when making a pass.......

Next day was TNT also and the van was ready.................

First pass outta the box was a 9.04@74.52 ...........hey hey, we be making progress!
9.06 was next then threw the timing light on it................next pass...............

VICTORY! I've never been so glad to get a slower timeslip lol....................hotlap 9.04 and then i texted David and he suggested a bump in FP.......................after a long cooldown.....................

Bang!
All i needed was one more to seal the deal, thats our little "rule" in our group...gotta run 3 numbers........9.01 hotlap..............cooled it down and got another 8.97 and a 9.01 hotlap..............texted my chevy buddy with the news so he could eat some more 302 crow which he did like a good sport lol...........finished the night off with a 9.03 as they closed a little early......................

So for now the goal has been reached and i'm gonna let the van rest a little bit from racing, i've made 92 passes in it and i've got some mustang stuff to do but it'll be back with a cam swap and maybe a few other little things searching for 8.70's lol...........................

Rodney Tolleson/VP SBFTech van club
dennis112
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2016, 09:50:37 am »

NICE! NICE! NICE!   

Dennis

65' Stang, 434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, 11:1, Braswell Carb, Bullet SR Cam, G101A 4-Speed, 4:56 rear, 93 Octane Pump Gas  9.82@138.00
Jeff351w
Big Block

393 build & new trans in progress

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2016, 10:52:05 am »

Quote from: mighty mouse

I often have tires with just too much tread or a fuel tank that is just too full. Accept no substitutes!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: