Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 01:55:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Director PLEASE!!!!
Add your location information to your personal profile. Thanx!
435311 Posts in 37295 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Power and Drivetrain Combos
| | |-+ 289/302 - non-stroker combos
| | | |-+ Not a proven combo, just my van............wait, what?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not a proven combo, just my van............wait, what?  (Read 77993 times)
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« on: December 02, 2015, 11:03:22 am »

Provided by: Rodney Tolleson

01. Block
Displacement: 302
CR: stock

02. Heads
Brand: ford
Model: gt40P
Ported?: No

03. Camshaft (If the camshaft is custom, NOT providing this information is understandable, and NOT expected)
Brand: ford
Grind Number/Model: stock mustang H.O.
Int./Exh.
Int./Exh. Lift:
Lobe Separation Angle:

04. Induction
Carbureted/EFI: Fuelie
Intake: exploder
Carb/Injector Size: 19lb. 4holes
Throttle Body Size: 70mm
Mass Air Size: speed density

05. Tuner: dizzy wrench adjustable FP reg Hmmmmm

06. Exhaust
Style:  Long tube/BBK
Diameter: 1-3/4
Catted: no
"X" or "H": none
Mufflers: flo-smasher 2-1/2

07. Power Adder: right foot

08. Transmission
Manual/Auto: auto
Model: AOD
Plate/Clutch:
Converter Stall: 3000/3200

09. Gears
Style: Motorsport
Ratio: 4.56
Differential Style: 8.8 traclok

10. Rear Suspension Setup: 2" drop shackles

11. Front Suspension Setup: badass factory springs, Lakewood 90/10's

12. Tires: 205/75 frt/255/60 m/t DR's

13. Car Weight: 4250 race weight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time Slip:

60ft: 1.953
330ft: 5.762
1/8th ET: 9.050
1/8th MPH: 74.30
1/4 ET:
1/4 MPH:
Dyno Data:

FWHP: 
FWTQ:
RWHP:
RWTQ:

COMMENTS/OBSERVATIONS:
Vans are awesome!

* 11425447_10207090613766848_3782126565173268197_n.jpg (55.5 KB, 960x539 - viewed 476 times.)

Rodney Tolleson/VP SBFTech van club
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 11:20:26 am »

This silly story all started when i decided i needed something to prowl the junkyards with....bring home larger items the mustang cantor wont hold. I deally a truck would fit the bill but craigslist just wasnt cooperating as i couldnt find anything that i felt drawn to..........now this is important because i've had trucks in the past and had no attachment so i was looking for something that i would like...........

My step son commented that a van might be cool so i thought what the hey? Browsing instantly brought this jewel of a '88 econoline up for $900.....it had the work/sleeper look so it couldnt hurt to check it out......

The main selling points by the buyer were that it had a "awesome" sound system and a BRIGHT interior dome light..........hey WTF man thats all you had to say...im sold! Anyways the motor was a mystery...5.0 or 5.8? i wanted the 5.0 so i could roller cam it and a quick vin decode cleared that right up............a jaunt around the block and i was sold...........the front suspension was already race ready!

Here i is pickin it up from the sellers digs............happy buyer!

The drive home was revealing..............it was a pile..........slow shifting slow running etc....but with any 302 there is hope..........it didnt look any better the next day lol

A little soap  and water and a little black paint improved it a little............

But the real fun was about to begin.............we had a date with the track, but not before a few mods.......

Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 12:23:22 pm »

First off let me clear up any misconceptions....this started out as a joke bbbuuuttt well you know how it is...sometimes things just grow on ya and this is becoming one of those cases but anyway the first order of business was to get rid of crap we didnt need...like a/c (didnt work) heat egr etc.............

And get some cool stuff we did need!....it now has a shift knob

Homemade ghetto CAI for  BIG POWAH!!!

Gotta have duals with flo-smashers for that classic sound

H.O. roller cam for some big time RPM ..........also a new timing chain whoo-hoo!

And to finish off beast mode some 4.10's...........

At this point its basically a pro-mod but i was still going to drive it to the track!

Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 12:47:48 pm »

Well the first track day was upon us and the van was ready to gap any and all comers.............a quick rundown of the intail combo............CAI, underdrive crank pulley, short belt, 1-5/8 shorties 2-1/2 duals w/flosmashers, transgo shift kit, 4.10's with traclok, 4500lb race weight...............

ran a string of 10.40's .42/.44/.44@67.3 etc.......

Made a return trip and it nudged its way into the 10.30's with a 10.38@68 so it was getting ready to go big game hunting!

Around this time a buddy went with me to another buddies house and on the way home i gave him a demo of what the dragvan was all about................he was surprised but not impressed (of course..chevy guy) and asked me what it ran.....he then asked what i thought it could run........i said 8.99 would be my "perfect" run number with some more budget mods and perfect weather to which he replied "No f$cking way".............uuuhhhh game on dude!

I then slipped on a raczin curank pulley, homemade ram air, bumped the timing to 14* and pulled the knock sensor and dropped the work shelves outta the back gettin it down to a svelte 4350 and banged out a 10.11@70...............didnt make him nervous but he twitched...i saw it!

Our next round involved some more budget junk......purchased a "good" exploder motor from the jy at a overstock sale........

Dragvan doin work!

Got the exploder intake which allowed to me to ice it at the track....truck intake is to tall in the vans...i alsobumped the timing some more and had a 70mm t/b lying around from a mustang.........also added some mustang alum. space savers to the front with adapters and 205/75's for a little weight loss..

No hub caps...lookin strong!

This all added up to a blistering 9.94@71.45 @4300lbs................things were getting serious now!

Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 01:04:40 pm »

After these first few track outtings i thought it might be time for some DR's as it was hazing the 235/75's a little so i slapped them on...i actually had one 6 year old almost new 255/60 so i spent big time for another new one....whoops.........it ran 10.11/.13......slapped the stock rubber on and it ran 10.05...whelp it needs a little wheel speed to get past the stock stall...sssoooo guess what happened next?

Yep....a el cheapo roadrunner 3200 stall...$345 shipped what a bargain Spt at PC

I also dropped the back 2inches for that stealthy race look WTF

We drug the beast back up to the track and snuck into the back of staging to keep from scaring any potential money races away.............

Stall and the 255/60 DR's netted us a best of 9.62@70.13........2.11 '60......previous best was 2.33 but that was just whetting the vans appetite for speed and we had a few more cheap goodies on the table

Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 01:21:44 pm »

Our next mod was a pair of banged up longtubes for a fox 5speed that i bought from a guy who had mangled them to fit around a powerglide..........1-3/4 so they should kill all the bottom end

At this point i planned on going up to the track with this one mod bbbuuutttt we got rained out 3 weekends in a row so i added a few things..........manual steering box $63 off fleabay

Got some factory ford alum. wheels from the jy to replace the steel d spokes my DR's were mounted on....shot'em wit da bbbllllaaaccckkkkk...

And last but not least a little lap dance on the valves and fresh springs for the P FOR POWAH heads........

All this budget goodness got us a 9.48/.52@71...............uuuhhh yeah i was on suicide watch until David reminded me to run up the FP a little and it clicked of a .25........added some timing and more FP and it dropped a 9.18 in my lap.............we were really close at this point and had a few more tricks up our sleeves.......peeps also startin to steer clear of the van in stagin

Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 01:36:54 pm »

I had 2 more "budget" things i could do to try for the 8's........uncork the exhaust some (bullets/glasspacks etc.) or more gear............the gear was the cheaper option for me as i already had the "special" cross pin for 4.56 and lower gears from another long dead project ssssooooooo i ordered up a cheap fresh set of motive white box gears $116 shipped and gotz my work on!

My old FP gauge was reading nutso so i splurged $20 of mcdonalds eat out money for a liquid filled new one............race car? HELL YES!

Now some guys fear the gear but not 'ol rod...he loves the gear...........anyways the stall is loose and a non-lock so it buzzes a little even with 4.10s........4.56's? about the same RPM as the 4.10 at cruise lol........2500/2600@65 and it feels alot spunkier around town but that aint gonna put no bitches on the trailer, track times do so i slid back up there solo while pirate mike is sailing the seven seas and david has a dance off competition or school work or whatever the hell he does besides going to the track..........

first pass was a 9.11/.13...let it shift itself 9.18/.18...bumped FP (44 with vac) 9.07/.05...FP to 46...9.23...45 9.15...back to 44 9.09/.07/.07/.09...ssssoooo thats where we stand........David has a ported exploder lower and shortened and ported upper im going to try and i'm gonna bolt on the mustang header bullets to try and bust into the 8's before i spend any money on the exhaust...... maybe a MAF conversion and a OTS cam to see how far this little 200+mile 20psi oil pressure 5.0 can go into the 8's

And i still have all my mustangs:)

scienceguy
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 02:40:59 pm »

Awesome!  Love it!!!

1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
Pump Gas, Flat Tappet 306
9.88 @ 135.67
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 03:13:26 pm »

Forgotz to add i installed a junkyard e-fan from a taurus that has ate 3 toggle switches with the first batch of mods and it has a jy mini starter.............also had a set of 90/10 drag shocks i bought used for a crown vic/marquis that i finagled on the front after removing the piece of square tube...bitch be rockin now!

Also ran 74 mph after the FP/timing was bumped....from the 9.48/.52@71 passes..........no mph gain from the 4.56 swap............i get braindead when i post alot at once

dennis112
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 03:59:33 pm »

Enjoying the new and unexpected thread Rodney.  Keep up the good work. 

Dennis

65' Stang, 434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, 11:1, Braswell Carb, Bullet SR Cam, G101A 4-Speed, 4:56 rear, 93 Octane Pump Gas  9.82@138.00
SlickTang
Small Block

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 04:48:05 pm »

I am loving this,  dude this is awesome. Try to find an aluminum driveshaft. It's not a huge weight savings, but every pound counts.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
Mr.Blue
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 05:13:41 pm »

I am loving this,  dude this is awesome. Try to find an aluminum driveshaft. It's not a huge weight savings, but every pound counts.

Fortunately the good folks at Ford supplied me one from the factory .............

Glad you liked it Dennis.......just a place to keep info straight and logged and if people get a laugh.....well thats just a bonus

SlickTang
Small Block

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 05:22:34 pm »

Wow I didn't know that, don't I feel like an idiot lol

Throw some slicks on it and get a transbrake. Launch it at 5000 

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 06:31:21 pm »

i installed a junkyard e-fan from a taurus that has ate 3 toggle switches

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,36917.0.html

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
quickshift
Big Block

...I'm old as dirt (says Lil joe)

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 07:07:22 pm »

You probably got a set of 1.7s laying around and some springs.....let her rev!   

71 Comet, 289,351w heads,RR's,12.5 TRWs,ported torker/750DP, Liberty Top Loader (2.78), 9"/6.00s, tubbed,ladder bars,11.9xs@110 ..bla,bla,bla
84Cougar,88HO,Eddy RPM/700DP, 1.7RRs, shorty's, 8.8/4.10s,T-5/Hurst Pro Billet, K/C clutch...bla,bla,bla

Never shoot your mouth off unless your brain is loaded.   If you're not laughing...you're not living!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: