Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2017, 03:55:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
433226 Posts in 37063 Topics by 9458 Members
Latest Member: Rich351
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ Transmissions/Differentials
| | |-+ Automatic Transmissions
| | | |-+ Debris in the valve body and AOD valve body interchange
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Debris in the valve body and AOD valve body interchange  (Read 1988 times)
junkyardjeff
Small Block

« on: October 18, 2015, 11:01:52 pm »

I bought a 86 truck AOD for a project that was supposed to be a fresh rebuild but with bearings and other stuff in the pan it had to be gone through again,it started buzzing so I changed the fluid and it stopped for awhile but is back and since I can get it to quit making the noise by moving the shifter I think there is more trash stuck in the valve body. Its almost 50 dollars for a filter and fluid so I think it might be cheaper in the long run to just get another valve body instead of more fluid changes so is there other years of valve bodies I can use in the 86 truck AOD or will I only be able to use the same year.
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 03:31:09 pm »

A car VB is much better for any performance application, and later model and lower mileage the better. Put a VB kit in that if it hadn't been done, plus a few Sonnax parts that are available like 0-ring kits that reduce internal leaking.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
junkyardjeff
Small Block

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 10:07:15 pm »

Just what is the differences between the car and truck valve bodies
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:38:22 pm »

Just what is the differences between the car and truck valve bodies

Ford has different valving/calibrations in them than the car VB's, just minor changes. That isn't a problem by itself. The issue is that all VB kits are made only for the car VB's, common performance applications. So the VB kits sometimes don't work the same way in a truck VB. It's the worst with the serious shift kits, not the common minor kits designed to correct OEM issues. TransGo makes both kinds, and their correction VB kits do well in everything. The HD kits they have, I keep reading that they don't play nice in trucks much. So the suggestion is for serious usage, get a car VB to do the good shift kit in.

If you just need to get the AOD working again, most VB's from 87-93 could work, but be sure it's coming from a properly running trans.

Don't use a police AOD VB, those have a change to only 2nd gear(low), not 1st. Those have 2/D/O/R/N/P gears. A B&M shift kit didn't work right in that 86 police car I had way back when.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
junkyardjeff
Small Block

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 09:10:41 am »

The AOD is still in what would be called a truck,its a soon to be lowered much more 2wd 88 full size bronco. It still could be something else in the trans but I could imagine that valve body got alot of junk in it when the bearings that were in the pan went bad and also from the wrong parts installed,since the trans still shifts fine I am going to start with the valve body and grab one from  late 80s cronw vic and see how it does.
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 05:12:34 pm »

Do buy one of the TransGo correction kits at least, those are not hard to do the VB with. R&Ring the servos up above the VB in the trans is the hardest part. There are springs to change in a couple of those. Just don't push a hole through the one plastic servo trying to get it out. That one is available as an upgraded replacement too.

Don

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: