Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 01:22:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
434110 Posts in 37143 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ General Tech
| | |-+ Carburetors Tech
| | | |-+ Do you use a Pro-Systems Carburetor? If so, please share your experiences.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you use a Pro-Systems Carburetor? If so, please share your experiences.  (Read 15758 times)
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2015, 05:06:19 pm »

But I know it will need more carb than your 289.

I'm probably on the edge of what I can get away with on my engine and still have good street manners with a 950 HP.  Don't begin to think a 950 is a small carb meant for 300'ish inch engines.  There are Lord knows how many 950 Holley HP based carburetors sold with custom fuel curves by various people on top of similar cube and power small block Chevys as your 408.  A 950 with a down leg booster is much more comfortable on something like that than my little engine even though I mentioned in the forum I filled out that it would have a starting shift point of 7,500 rpm and redline of 8k.

And YES, I asked him for a custom carb for my motor.

And you got a 950 Holley HP based carburetor with a custom tailored fuel curve.  And the price he charges for those is very reasonable and indicative of what you'll get.  Problem is that it turned out to be a complete pile of poo.

If you told him money was no object and you were after every last HP, I'm confident he would have sent you something like a 1000 Holley HP based annular booster carb.  We originally tried one on my motor but my motor just didn't have enough signal to make it work.  So it was returned and Patrick sent me a 950 down leg right away.  Left me with a very good impression of how he stands behind his product.

Who the hell is painting an inaccurate picture? Some one asked for experiences and I told them.  
Go back and read again.  

I have CLEARLY agreed again and again that I believe your 950 was garbage.  You obviously didn't receive near the same customer service I did.  You haven't heard me say anything to the contrary.  I have no problem with you sharing that very important information.  

The problem is you left out some VERY important details on the 25hp difference you were posting about.  Details that I know you understood because I've already pointed them out to you on this very site in a previous topic.  

I politely asked about the difference in venturi and throttle blade as not to offend you.  You responded that you cannot be expected to keep track of the different sizes of all your carburetors.  People, go back and look at the picture of the Lil Bo I provided a link to.  You would have to be blind or flat out untruthful to make a comment like that.  The difference is ASTRONOMICAL!  So why be elusive about it??? Hmmmmm

This was in my VERY FIRST POST!
" Now I realize the pro systems wasn't setup exactly for the new 427".

This was in my SECOND POST!
" (Like I already said,) I realize Patricks wasnt' exactly setup for my motor.  It still is an interesting comparison in horsepower."

Patrick's 950 was set up for your application if your dyno operator tuned the fuel curve to be on the money throughout the pull.  The issue is that the size was not what Patrick or any sane person would chose for your new bad ass stroker and maximum performance.

It is not an interesting comparison in horsepower with out knowing the details.  That's like saying I built a small block Ford that made 430 horsepower on so and so's dyno.  But I bought a small block Ford from Woody and his made 650 horsepower in the same rpm range on the same dyno.  So it's interesting that Woody can make 220 more horsepower than me.  The comparison wouldn't mean squat without knowing the details of each engine.  It's just ignorant or presented in a way to make it seem like more of an accomplishment than it is for some kind of agenda.  

If you cannot comprehend this, then you need some lessons.
  This is turning into the typical SBF tech nut hugging convention like it used to with Jay.  

So I'm just supposed to sit here and let you post garbage comparisons on a site some people come to for information (like the original poster) for fear you're going to get defensive and call me a nut swinger?  Get real.

Try this one on for size.  I suspect Pro Systems has grown too large to allow for the same customer service over the phone Patrick became famous for.  However, his Ask The Carb Guy site is tremendously helpful in getting answers if a reasonable quick time frame.

Or how about this one.  I may never buy another Pro Systems carburetor again.  For no other reason than I believe in certain cases there are better choices out there IF I'm willing to open up the wallet a good bit more.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2015, 05:14:40 pm »

they set up a 950hp for mine.  it didn't come with adjustable idle jets or pvcr's (yes, I can drill and tap).  that's my only complaint. 

if I would have known this adjustability didn't come with it, I would have asked (and paid) for it.

The new Venom II metering blocks from Pro Systems do come threaded for changing the idle jets.  However, you will have to drill and tap IF you want to try them in the lower location.  A set of BLP metering blocks I have are drilled and taped in the upper and lower location for the idle jet.  I got them second hand so don't know if this was done to them or if they come this way from BLP.

I'm not sure of any metering blocks that come with adjustable power valve channel restrictions.  The Venom II blocks have them in the lower location.  My understanding is BLP has been doing theirs like that for some time.

juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2015, 05:21:15 pm »

The Venom II blocks have them in the lower location.  My understanding is BLP has been doing theirs like that for some time.

I read somewhere that another carb builder got a set of them, and that they look to have been made by BLP for Patrick.

Thats just what I read.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 05:26:34 pm »

Like I said, why would I have even called a custom shop if I already knew the best carb size for my motor?  Again, I would have just ordered it form Summit.  When i call a custom parts place, weather it be cams, springs, carbs, converter, whatever, I want the best setup for MY build.  If I already know what I want, I'll order it myself.  When I called Patrick, I told him I want the best carb for my build.  I NEVER said that I wanted a certain one.  I go with what the "custom" guy tells me!  I figure that is what I am paying for, is their expertise to tell ME what to run.  As I am far from a carb expert.  (or converter, or cam expert lol).  As I have said again, the op asked for good OR BAD experiences with pro systems.  I honestly gave my experience.  I also gave the results of an actual dyno test that I did.  But I also was honest that the pro systems one was NOT built for the 427 from the start.  I have been hiding nothing.

I read this after posting my reply to you.  The "custom" part from builders like AED and Pro Systems is mostly in setting up the fuel curve for your particular use and combination.  That way you don't have to hope the generic settings in a Holley HP and their metering blocks are going to be good enough for your combo.  It gets you close and saves a lot of headache as well as letting them chose what will be best for your application based on your experience.

289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2015, 05:38:00 pm »

I read somewhere that another carb builder got a set of them, and that they look to have been made by BLP for Patrick.

Thats just what I read.

I believe BLP would sell you their blocks and let you put whatever comany's name you wanted on them.  Pro System came out with the Venom II billet blocks long after BLP had theirs.  It would not surprise me if Patrick originally offered them to his customers as his after buying them from BLP like others had been allowed to do.  Now the Venom II blocks are made in house by Pro Systems.  Weather they actually were ever made by BLP for Pro Systems, if Pro Systems flat out copied BLP's block and started manufacturing them for themselves, or if Pro Systems made their own block and it turned out very much like BLP's is pure speculation.

jasonn
Small Block

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2015, 07:38:02 am »

But I know it will need more carb than your 289.

I'm probably on the edge of what I can get away with on my engine and still have good street manners with a 950 HP.  Don't begin to think a 950 is a small carb meant for 300'ish inch engines.  There are Lord knows how many 950 Holley HP based carburetors sold with custom fuel curves by various people on top of similar cube and power small block Chevys as your 408.  A 950 with a down leg booster is much more comfortable on something like that than my little engine even though I mentioned in the forum I filled out that it would have a starting shift point of 7,500 rpm and redline of 8k.

And YES, I asked him for a custom carb for my motor.

And you got a 950 Holley HP based carburetor with a custom tailored fuel curve.  And the price he charges for those is very reasonable and indicative of what you'll get.  Problem is that it turned out to be a complete pile of poo.

If you told him money was no object and you were after every last HP, I'm confident he would have sent you something like a 1000 Holley HP based annular booster carb.  We originally tried one on my motor but my motor just didn't have enough signal to make it work.  So it was returned and Patrick sent me a 950 down leg right away.  Left me with a very good impression of how he stands behind his product.

Who the hell is painting an inaccurate picture? Some one asked for experiences and I told them.  
Go back and read again.  

I have CLEARLY agreed again and again that I believe your 950 was garbage.  You obviously didn't receive near the same customer service I did.  You haven't heard me say anything to the contrary.  I have no problem with you sharing that very important information.  

The problem is you left out some VERY important details on the 25hp difference you were posting about.  Details that I know you understood because I've already pointed them out to you on this very site in a previous topic.  

I politely asked about the difference in venturi and throttle blade as not to offend you.  You responded that you cannot be expected to keep track of the different sizes of all your carburetors.  People, go back and look at the picture of the Lil Bo I provided a link to.  You would have to be blind or flat out untruthful to make a comment like that.  The difference is ASTRONOMICAL!  So why be elusive about it??? Hmmmmm

This was in my VERY FIRST POST!
" Now I realize the pro systems wasn't setup exactly for the new 427".

This was in my SECOND POST!
" (Like I already said,) I realize Patricks wasnt' exactly setup for my motor.  It still is an interesting comparison in horsepower."

Patrick's 950 was set up for your application if your dyno operator tuned the fuel curve to be on the money throughout the pull.  The issue is that the size was not what Patrick or any sane person would chose for your new bad ass stroker and maximum performance.

It is not an interesting comparison in horsepower with out knowing the details.  That's like saying I built a small block Ford that made 430 horsepower on so and so's dyno.  But I bought a small block Ford from Woody and his made 650 horsepower in the same rpm range on the same dyno.  So it's interesting that Woody can make 220 more horsepower than me.  The comparison wouldn't mean squat without knowing the details of each engine.  It's just ignorant or presented in a way to make it seem like more of an accomplishment than it is for some kind of agenda.  

If you cannot comprehend this, then you need some lessons.
  This is turning into the typical SBF tech nut hugging convention like it used to with Jay.  

So I'm just supposed to sit here and let you post garbage comparisons on a site some people come to for information (like the original poster) for fear you're going to get defensive and call me a nut swinger?  Get real.

Try this one on for size.  I suspect Pro Systems has grown too large to allow for the same customer service over the phone Patrick became famous for.  However, his Ask The Carb Guy site is tremendously helpful in getting answers if a reasonable quick time frame.

Or how about this one.  I may never buy another Pro Systems carburetor again.  For no other reason than I believe in certain cases there are better choices out there IF I'm willing to open up the wallet a good bit more.

Keep swinging lol.

1970 mach 1 with mild 408w
11.60's@117
1970 tubbed fastback
 Pump gas 427w 8.81@153.8
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2015, 08:41:33 pm »

Spt at PC... not even Jesus (if a Christian you are) or Buddha bats a 1.000 average, which also keep things real and down to earth. Call me a Nut Swinger if you like, your right is secured, but I have not had that negative experience with Patrick or the customers/friends I have sent his way. Your negative experience is duly noted and documented however, it is not enough for me to look for other alternatives based on MY experience and facts. 

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
93reefblueGT
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 09:12:40 am »

I just out a prosystems 950 E85  carb on my buddys 410w i built and off the wide band it was right on, well off the scale. Idle was on the the fat side but they can set it dead nuts. Just waiting on the track so i can play with the timing and jets for MPH.
jasonn
Small Block

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 03:55:33 pm »

Yep, it is just me.  LOL>

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578258&page=12

1970 mach 1 with mild 408w
11.60's@117
1970 tubbed fastback
 Pump gas 427w 8.81@153.8
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 12:39:47 am »

Where did ANYONE in this post say you were the only one?  Did you finally find a link that had other dissatisfied Pro Systems customers on it?  Good feedback and bad in that topic.

Now go over there and post a link to this topic there.  You'll get trashed for your tactics by anyone who is reputable EVEN if they aren't fans of Pro Systems.  You made an idiotic comparison and got ticked when I exposed it.  You would not have been treated as nice as you were here over there.  

What you stated gave zero insight into your comparison.  I bet Mark would be ashamed of what you have posted here.  Maybe I'll go over to his forum and ask him what he thinks about this topic?  Hmmmmm

You have a small block Ford that runs very well.  Be happy with what you've got as it's bad ass and topped off with a bad ass carburetor from an excellent builder.

69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 07:58:54 pm »

You have a small block Ford that runs very well.  Be happy with what you've got as it's bad ass and topped off with a bad ass carburetor from an excellent builder.

You think that you might have a nice running Ford until the MERC pulls up next to you ...

Grin

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4" x 3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 flash converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31" x 12.5" R15", 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: