Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:36:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
434102 Posts in 37143 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ General Tech
| | |-+ Carburetors Tech
| | | |-+ Do you use a Pro-Systems Carburetor? If so, please share your experiences.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you use a Pro-Systems Carburetor? If so, please share your experiences.  (Read 15722 times)
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 06:00:13 pm »

By the same token, not trying to be argumentative here either but, when make a living looking for things that cause problems..... it did have me thinking  Hmmmmm. Besides, nobody has a perfect batting average..... I know.

Hmmm, because I have had nothing but issues with this carb, I now make a living looking for things that cause problems??  Wow, you are a real genius. 

.... I missed an "I" there. What I meant to say was :

"when I make a living looking for things that cause problems..... it did have me thinking  Hmmmmm. Besides, nobody has a perfect batting average..... I know. " (Diagnostics and Repairs Shop)

IOW.... you could have a bad experience with providers that have a good record in the quality area.  My Bad for the misunderstanding, though.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
jasonn
Small Block

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 07:32:17 am »

Gotcha.  No probs!

1970 mach 1 with mild 408w
11.60's@117
1970 tubbed fastback
 Pump gas 427w 8.81@153.8
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 11:30:03 pm »

I honestly don't remember every spec of every carb I have.  I do know that yes, this is most or all blp parts on the carb from Mark.  Cost comparison isn't really relevant either as I had Marks carb done in black hard coat anodizing.  (Like I already said,) I realize Patricks wasnt' exactly setup for my motor.  It still is an interesting comparison in horsepower.

I'll step in and offer some information then.  For the sake of those reading and trying to learn, we need to clarify this in my opion.  

Your Pro Systems carb has a 1.37" diameter venturi.  The same as a 750 HP.  What makes a traditional 950 HP different from a 750 HP is that the throttle blades are larger at 1.75" diameter.  The 950 HP is not a very big carburetor and is what I run on my .060 over 289 with great throttle response and no bogging issues.

The carb Mark built for Jasonn is based of the Lil Bo main body.  That thing is HUUUUUUUUUGE by comparison.  We are talking a 950 HP that flows low to mid 800 cfm and comparing it to a legitimate 1230+ cfm carburetor.  That is where a large part of the difference in power came from during your dyno session.

Here is a link to the Lil Bo.  A picture is worth a thousand words for those thinking it's impossible to get a 4150 based carburetor to flow that kind of air.  http://blp.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_382&products_id=1496

That Lil Bo is a totally awesome piece.  You have done well by having that and Mark's talent provide fuel and air to your engine.  I'm not trying to defend any brand or bring another down.  I'm simply trying to put some important information out there for those trying to learn.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
jasonn
Small Block

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 08:07:24 am »

You are correct.  You run yours on a 289?  Just makes me wonder why Patrick even sold me one  for a fairly hot 408 if it was known to be too small and there were other "custom" carbs that would have worked so much better.

11.60's@117
1970 tubbed fastback
 Pump gas 427w 8.81@153.8
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 08:40:51 am »

You are correct.  You run yours on a 289?  Just makes me wonder why Patrick even sold me one  for a fairly hot 408 if it was known to be too small and there were other "custom" carbs that would have worked so much better.
Post your build sheet you sent to Patrick.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 03:44:52 pm »

Your previous 408 was mild in your words.  A 950 was a good match in my opinion and probably that of the vast majority of carb builders.  It ran 11.60 and you're new one runs 9.1x.  I doubt a place like AED (neck and neck with Mark in the Carb Shootout) would have built anything different for your previous 408.

The traditionally sized 950 HP is a very versatile carb with excellent throttle response and can still move a pretty good amount of air.  But it's SMALL when we include the likes of the Lil Bo and consider one on top of your new engine.  That is my point.

I recently picked up a 950 HP from Booster on Mark's racing fuel system forum.  Braswell boosters and BLP metering blocks.  I'm NOT some close minded Pro Systems follower by any stretch.  Any discussion about the best carburetor should include Braswell also.  Pro Systems would do half the business they do (probably less!) IF BLP and Braswell cost the same.

So feel free to share your bad experience with Pro Systems.  I've got no problem with that and in your case it sounds well deserved.  Just don't go painting a picture that is inaccurate.  I previously told you about the significant difference in venturi and throttle blade size that no doubt (Mark Whitener would absolutely agree) made up a big portion of the power difference.  Next time I see it I'm calling it out for what it is since it is a disservice to those reading and hoping to learn.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 03:48:49 pm »

Just makes me wonder why Patrick even sold me one  for a fairly hot 408 if it was known to be too small and there were other "custom" carbs that would have worked so much better.

Did you "ask" for a 950 or otherwise imply thats what you wanted, or did you ask him to sell you what you "need". This part is very important. Because regardless of what you need, he will still sell you what you ask for.

And if thats the case, just remember that you "asked" for if things don't work out like you planned.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
quickshift
Big Block

...I'm old as dirt (says Lil joe)

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 07:25:39 pm »

Just makes me wonder why Patrick even sold me one  for a fairly hot 408 if it was known to be too small and there were other "custom" carbs that would have worked so much better.

Did you "ask" for a 950 or otherwise imply thats what you wanted, or did you ask him to sell you what you "need". This part is very important. Because regardless of what you need, he will still sell you what you ask for.

And if thats the case, just remember that you "asked" for if things don't work out like you planned.
....X2 4 Eyed

71 Comet, 289,351w heads,RR's,12.5 TRWs,ported torker/750DP, Liberty Top Loader (2.78), 9"/6.00s, tubbed,ladder bars,11.9xs@110 ..bla,bla,bla
84Cougar,88HO,Eddy RPM/700DP, 1.7RRs, shorty's, 8.8/4.10s,T-5/Hurst Pro Billet, K/C clutch...bla,bla,bla

Never shoot your mouth off unless your brain is loaded.   If you're not laughing...you're not living!
BuckeyeDemon
Small Block

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 09:27:03 pm »

they set up a 950hp for mine.  it didn't come with adjustable idle jets or pvcr's (yes, I can drill and tap).  that's my only complaint. 

if I would have known this adjustability didn't come with it, I would have asked (and paid) for it.
jasonn
Small Block

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 07:54:17 am »

My 408 IS mild.  But I know it will need more carb than your 289.  And YES, I asked him for a custom carb for my motor.  I didn't give a shit what it was, I wanted the best one for my application.  Hence "custom".  Who the hell is painting an inaccurate picture? Some one asked for experiences and I told them. 
Go back and read again. 

This was in my VERY FIRST POST!
" Now I realize the pro systems wasn't setup exactly for the new 427".

This was in my SECOND POST!
" (Like I already said,) I realize Patricks wasnt' exactly setup for my motor.  It still is an interesting comparison in horsepower."

If you cannot comprehend this, then you need some lessons.
  This is turning into the typical SBF tech nut hugging convention like it used to with Jay. 

11.60's@117
1970 tubbed fastback
 Pump gas 427w 8.81@153.8
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 02:42:18 pm »

And YES, I asked him for a custom carb for my motor.  I didn't give a shit what it was, I wanted the best one for my application.  Hence "custom".

If you cannot comprehend this, then you need some lessons.

I'm going to assume that some of that was aimed at me, so...

You asked a question.

I asked a question, which was based on your previous posts.

From your earliest posts, you were quite adamant about wanting a 950. It looks like you got one, even though you obviously knew that HPs were based on a different flow method.

If you would like, I would happily quote them for you here.

Now, I don't doubt that you may have gotten a carb that didn't work like you wanted. Shit happens, it doesn't matter what company it is.

If you are happy with your carb ftom Mark, I'm happy for you. If you were unhappy with your carb from Patrick, thank you for sharing.

As for your comparison of a obviously flawed Pro Systems carb to a high end JMark/BLP 2 barrel, that looks more like something that would be on the Corral. But thank you for sharing anyways.

Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
jasonn
Small Block

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 03:10:03 pm »

I have never been "adamant" about wanting any certain carb whatsoever.  That is the whole reason of going to a custom shop.  I remember when I first built it reading that most people that were building similar motors were going with the 950's.  That is why I was asking about  them and thinking that this was what I needed.  I had just planned on buying one from Summit or where ever.    Then I had heard about pro systems building "custom" carbs.  So that is what I ordered.  I called and talked with him and told him to build me a carb. Filled out the "custom" build sheets and everything.   If I was at all "adamant" about a 950, then I would have just ordered one from whoever!  I also asked about the 850's flowing more, but he said the 950 would be the one that would be best.  NOT me.  That is the reason people go with "custom" parts. 

Yea, I want you to quote where I talked with Patrick, he suggested something different, and then I told him no i wanted a 950hp.  SHOW ME!

And I will say it yet again.  I have said it since the first post, that the pro systems was NOT set up for the 427. I have been hiding NOTHING.  All I have done was give results.  But I also realize.  If anyone here disagrees with the majority, then they are idiots. 

11.60's@117
1970 tubbed fastback
 Pump gas 427w 8.81@153.8
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 03:40:49 pm »

Yea, I want you to quote where I talked with Patrick, he suggested something different, and then I told him no i wanted a 950hp.  SHOW ME!

I never said that. I asked if you called him a said that you wanted a 950. Plain and simple. That was in reply to to your question as to why he would have sold you a 950 when there were better options available.

Because regardless of whether or not whatever else might be better, he or whoever else will still sell you what you want.

But as I said before, ...

Thank you for sharing.

I honestly don't get it.

jasonn
Small Block

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 04:08:15 pm »

Like I said, why would I have even called a custom shop if I already knew the best carb size for my motor?  Again, I would have just ordered it form Summit.  When i call a custom parts place, weather it be cams, springs, carbs, converter, whatever, I want the best setup for MY build.  If I already know what I want, I'll order it myself.  When I called Patrick, I told him I want the best carb for my build.  I NEVER said that I wanted a certain one.  I go with what the "custom" guy tells me!  I figure that is what I am paying for, is their expertise to tell ME what to run.  As I am far from a carb expert.  (or converter, or cam expert lol).  As I have said again, the op asked for good OR BAD experiences with pro systems.  I honestly gave my experience.  I also gave the results of an actual dyno test that I did.  But I also was honest that the pro systems one was NOT built for the 427 from the start.  I have been hiding nothing.

11.60's@117
1970 tubbed fastback
 Pump gas 427w 8.81@153.8
juiced coupe
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 04:59:06 pm »

Fair enough.

I just want to point out that not everyone is that way. Many people call for custom parts but still want them their way.

So, thats why I asked.

As for the carb being a dud. I agree that its a shitty situation that likely should have been handled differently. But it is what it is.

I honestly don't get it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: