Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:27:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
434319 Posts in 37168 Topics by 9479 Members
Latest Member: joerberg
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ General Tech
| |-+ General Tech
| | |-+ Carburetors Tech
| | | |-+ Do you use a Pro-Systems Carburetor? If so, please share your experiences.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you use a Pro-Systems Carburetor? If so, please share your experiences.  (Read 16518 times)
blackgt85
4 Banger

« on: September 17, 2015, 11:33:38 am »

I am looking into picking up a carburetor from Pro-Systems. I have done quite a bit of researching on various forums, and it seems I see about 95% (uneducated guess) of the people who actually use/have used them give them awesome reviews. Of course, like with anything, you have the 5% who had nothing but problems and bash them. If I go with Pro-Systems, I will be buying directly through Patrick and having him set it up for my combo. Please share your experiences with Pro-Systems...

Justin

Justin
Bam54
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 08:37:47 pm »

I have purchased 4 carbs from him and they all worked flawlessly on our stuff. Just a few jet changes.

Bam

"Take the horse out of the barn and let her run baby run"

www.ponyexpressracing.com

CHI headed 454 Clevor
9.24@142 1.30 60ft N/A
5.84@117 1.28 60ft N/A
3040lbs race weight
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »

Copied my post from the other site.

I've been using a Pro Systems 950 Holley HP based carb and been happy with it. Played with the high and low speed air bleeds and jetting some. Put it back to the original settings though. This is before the Venom II metering blocks which should be superior especially since the can put the idle jet in the lower location which can help with a street driven car.

My car sat a lot recently so I had to take the carb apart replace some gaskets and clean it out. So I decided to order the Venom II metering blocks to try out. We will see how they work out.

I also cam across a traditionally sized 950 Holley HP based carb (same as the Pro Systems) with BLP metering blocks and Braswell booster. This was a shop carb for a guy who has his crap together. I look forward to trying it out as well. I actually needed another carb a car I will be restoring down the road so the slower one will end up saved for that build and serve as a back up until then.

Patrick at Pro Systems rubs a lot of people and especially fellow performance carburetor builders the wrong way due in a large part to his advertising claiming they are the fastest carburetors in the world. Some who make runs at him probably wouldn't care as much if it weren't for that claim.

Pro Systems is definitely one of the very best for your dollar. Very pleased with what I got for the price. Take money out of the equation and there are other great carburetor builders out there with extremely impressive credentials (like Pro Systems has). You can't really go wrong with Braswell, BLP, or AED.

There was a carburetor shoot out not long ago and it surprised many to see a fellow by the name of Mark Whitener who goes by jmarkaudio (really likes to build with BLP's stuff) on the car sites win against the big boys. The competition was VERY tight. I took came away with two thoughts after that competition. One is that there is no single place vastly out powering the competition. Two is that I wanted to learn how to dial in a carburetor to a higher level. The best are all very close. Not always in price though!

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:44 pm »

Patrick did a Holley DP 750 for a friend that lives in NJ because I suggested it. He could have pushed and sell him a new unit. Instead, he told him to send his 750 to him. He got it rebuilt + upgraded to the point it performed flawlessly and better than what the customer thought it was possible.......for a fraction of the cost of a new unit.

Product quality, service and support from him? NOBODY better..

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:56:33 pm »

I'm very happy with Patrick's customer service.
He's always answered my emails within minutes and if I don't get him on the phone, I leave a message and he calls me within an hour.
Both weekdays and weekends.
He's got my next 4500 order with all the bells and whistles.
Pretty excited to run these Venom blocks....
Can't wait to get my car running again!

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
jasonn
Small Block

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 07:56:48 am »

I guess i am in the minority.  I bought a 950hp from him for my 408.  I just built the motor so everything was brand new including all new ignition, car, everything.  Started it up and it wouldnt' even rev over 2500 without breaking up.  I spent WEEKS tracing all wires, grounds, testing ignition, everything I could think of.  I finally called crane (ignition) and he told me there was a possibilty that it was lean.  So I put 2 jet sizes bigger in primary and wala.  It would now rev to 3500.  I called patrick on this and he told me to pull out some restrictors in the secondary and go up 8 sizes in front and rear.  YES EIGHT.  So much for out of the box calibration!  Car finally ran!  Although I ended up going 10 front and back.  After a couple years running, I pulled carb apart and it was completely FULL of corrosion!  I have never seen anything like it.  I took pics of it and sent it to patrick and he did  send me new ones and they were supposed to be calibrated like the old ones,  Well I got it back and it never ran right.  Terrible fat condition right off idle.  I tried tons of stuff and got it better but never right.  WOT was good but drivability was not.  Kept trying to call him, email him, etc but just kept getting the same generic email back on how to set the idle screws!  I just built a 427 now and had one built by Mark Whitener.  Now I realize the pro systems wasn't setup exactly for the new 427, but I can't imagine that it would be THAT far off.  But I dyno tested both and both were reading same AFR through the pulls.  Well, Marks carb beat it by around 25 HP !!  I would never myself go back to a pro systems carb ever.  I have another friend that had one built by pro systems and it wasn't much better than mine.  But that is his story to tell.

1970 mach 1 with mild 408w
11.60's@117
1970 tubbed fastback
 Pump gas 427w 8.81@153.8
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 02:36:35 pm »

Well, Marks carb beat it by around 25 HP !!  

What was the venturi and throttle blade size for each carburetor?  Please don't take this as argumentative.  I'm sincerely curious since 25 hp is a TON with the same fuel curve.  My bet is the small 950 (what I run on my little engine) was choking your sweet windsor stroker.

I've seen (pictures) of some pretty trick stuff Mark uses from BLP (mostly) and Braswell.  There is no doubt the stuff he uses should make more power, have the ability to more finely tune the fuel curve, and have better distribution than the standard Holley stuff Patrick uses on his entry level offerings.  What did yours cost?  Who's and what type of boosters and metering blocks did he use?

289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 02:37:51 pm »

I must also say that Mark Whitener aka jmarkaudio is incredibly helpful to people on the internet.  Seems like a first class guy.

BirdMan
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 07:45:56 pm »

I bought a ProSystems from a local shop after getting the info from Pat himself and it is an 1100 cfm 4500 carb for son's 412W.  Initially the rear accelerator pump needle under the squirter was stuck and nothing would exit the nozzles.  Removed squirters and juggled needle and is still working today 5 years later.  I changed the jetting down 2 sizes and removed the intermediate air bleeds as son drives down and back from each run and sparkplugs were fouling quickly.  Now plugs last a year.

This was no big deal really.  The carb came as a 3 circuit Dominator and now it is like a normal 2 circuit carb.  The intermediate circuit is supposed to recover faster after shifts the the 2 circuit one does.

I drove it a few 1/8th mile passes footbraking at 2,000, stomped it at the light and Instantly shit my pants as it was instantaneously moving.  Ran 2 6.28@115 and other were very close.

Son's 412W Build Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,19018.0.html
Son's '64 Falcon Performance Information;
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,25183.0.html
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 08:17:01 pm »

What was the venturi and throttle blade size for each carburetor?  Please don't take this as argumentative.  I'm sincerely curious since 25 hp is a TON with the same fuel curve.  My bet is the small 950 (what I run on my little engine) was choking your sweet windsor stroker.

I've seen (pictures) of some pretty trick stuff Mark uses from BLP (mostly) and Braswell.  There is no doubt the stuff he uses should make more power, have the ability to more finely tune the fuel curve, and have better distribution than the standard Holley stuff Patrick uses on his entry level offerings.  What did yours cost?  Who's and what type of boosters and metering blocks did he use?

Good observation there.  Taking notes

By the same token, not trying to be argumentative here either but, when make a living looking for things that cause problems..... it did have me thinking  Hmmmmm. Besides, nobody has a perfect batting average..... I know.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 08:38:34 pm »

Venom II metering blocks came in today.  Installed and ready to test out this weekend if I have a chance.

wywindsor
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 10:55:30 pm »

I'm a fuel injection guy and I vote for it all the way. I f you don't believe in technology stay with the carb. however there is a guy in Denver Colorado that claims he can make a carb run the same as fuel injection system  on all levels. Call Willie b at kbpi radio in Denver. this is a talk show on Saturday from 9 to 11. if this guy is for real my hat is off to him and fuel inj. is a myth. this is why you can make 400 plus hp and get closed to 30 mgh on the highway.
93reefblueGT
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 11:44:32 pm »

I've had a pro systems 950 on my 408w that i drove on a daily basis almost and ive had it on there for 5 years and besides jet changing from spring to summer to fall and on weather changes like everyone should its been flawless and the customer service is great.  Ill stick with pro systems or might try jmarkaudio on the bullet next.
jasonn
Small Block

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 01:48:51 pm »

What was the venturi and throttle blade size for each carburetor?  Please don't take this as argumentative.  I'm sincerely curious since 25 hp is a TON with the same fuel curve.  My bet is the small 950 (what I run on my little engine) was choking your sweet windsor stroker.

I've seen (pictures) of some pretty trick stuff Mark uses from BLP (mostly) and Braswell.  There is no doubt the stuff he uses should make more power, have the ability to more finely tune the fuel curve, and have better distribution than the standard Holley stuff Patrick uses on his entry level offerings.  What did yours cost?  Who's and what type of boosters and metering blocks did he use?

I honestly don't remember every spec of every carb I have.  I do know that yes, this is most or all blp parts on the carb from Mark.  Cost comparison isn't really relevant either as I had Marks carb done in black hard coat anodizing.  (Like I already said,) I realize Patricks wasnt' exactly setup for my motor.  It still is an interesting comparison in horsepower.

11.60's@117
1970 tubbed fastback
 Pump gas 427w 8.81@153.8
jasonn
Small Block

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 01:51:08 pm »

By the same token, not trying to be argumentative here either but, when make a living looking for things that cause problems..... it did have me thinking  Hmmmmm. Besides, nobody has a perfect batting average..... I know.

Hmmm, because I have had nothing but issues with this carb, I now make a living looking for things that cause problems??  Wow, you are a real genius.  

Edited due to quotes mismatch.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:43:02 pm by Joel5.0 » Logged

11.60's@117
1970 tubbed fastback
 Pump gas 427w 8.81@153.8
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: