Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 03:51:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
435247 Posts in 37263 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ Lifter tick
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lifter tick  (Read 13191 times)
RICK65COMET
4 Banger

« on: June 23, 2015, 10:19:47 am »

Hello small block gurus!
I have a 1987 5.0 engine in my 65 comet. It is injected with an edelbrock performer intake.
the engine currently has approx. 10,000 miles on it. this is the second 5.0 that I've built.
the first one I put approx. 50,000 miles on it.
Both engines run great and the only problem is the tick.
It is not constant. worse at 1100 to 1200 and 1600 to 1800 rpm.
It is only a random tick. (not all 16 lifters) sometimes the engine is quiet. the noise is worse on a warm engine.
The best way to describe it is that it's the same noise as when the engine is first started after sitting for a week or so and all 16 lifters tick for a few seconds until oil pressure comes up.
I rebuilt the first engine and reused all the stock cam, lifters, pushrods and rockers etc.
I then tried new lifters, no change, then new push rods and 1.7 roller rockers. no change.
On the new engine I replaced everything, e303 cam, performer rpm heads, comp cams roller rockers, pushrods, lifters etc. every possible clearance was checked. lifter preload is .045
To sum it up the first rebuilt I reused the stock lifters, when replacing those and on the new engine I used speed pro HT2205 lifters.
I'm convinced that the lifters are not able to keep up with the fast ramp speed of the roller cams.
Does anyone know of a better replacement?
Hopefully one that I do not have to remove the heads to install.
I've been told to just live with the noise as it's normal with aftermarket valve covers (chrome fms aluminum) and aftermarket intakes.
I was told by a ford rep at Carlisle ford nationals that it is the "dog bones" so I installed the plastic lifter guides that were used on the explorer 5.0's
no change.
any ideas and input would be greatly appreciated.

juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 03:03:32 pm »

Are you sure that its actually the lifters? 

My headers leak at the slip fit joints, and it sounds similar to a rocker ticking with the hood closed.

Roller rockers also tend to make a little noise on their own.

Headers are too thin to dampen noise like cast iron manifolds, and make a tick-like noise.

If you still think its the lifters, what weight and type oil are you running?  What is your oil pressure at idle and the noted rpms?

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
swest
4 Banger

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 09:11:33 pm »

My 1.7 roller rockers (ford cranes) always have made some amount of tick.

89 Mustang GT, 347 Stroker
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 03:16:30 pm »

If those valve covers are not the tall ones, you might have a little interference between the rockers and the baffles.

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
RICK65COMET
4 Banger

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 05:04:11 pm »

this noise has been over a period of about 15 years and two engines.
I've had shorty headers and cast iron manifolds. 3 different transmissions 2 different oil pans etc.
I've run everything from 5w30 to 5w40 synthetic and 10w30 to 10w40 and 20w50 standard oil.
oil pressure gauge on the dash does not have numbers on it but it runs from about 7/8 when cold and running down the highway, down to 2/3 at hot idle.
the valve covers are the tall ones.
the first build was with the stock rocker arms. I installed new pushrods and roller rockers in an attempt to get rid of the noise. no change.
the only common thing between both engines is a standard volumn oil pump and the lifters.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 05:59:24 pm »

Just to eliminate them, run the engine for a little with the belts removed. In particular, I've seen power steering pumps make ticking/clacking noises.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Joel5.0
El Hombre
Administrator
Big Block

Miracles?.... by appointment only!

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 08:49:27 pm »

Rick..... I've had a X-303 cam with 1.72. rockers and FMS lifters (stock) installed for decades. IOW.... the "theory" stock lifters cannot withstand the ramps of the alphabet or other OTS (Trickflow, Comp Cams, etc) cams, gets cancelled..... standard or HV oil pumps and 5w30 and 10w30 is the oil I've used for decades as well (my junk and customers). As a matter of fact, this a sound clip of my junk on a cold start back in 2007 = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,7221.0.html

It would be great to have an audio or video clip of your case in order to help you figure it out. LUK

ACRONYMS:
LUK  LMK  JIC  BTSTDTRT  YCYDYP  NFI-YTM  SPOBI, and the classic... DILLIGAS

'86 Mustang GT, X-303 cam, Holley DP 700, RG Tran., 289 Heads   Ford Smilie 2

Quote from: Joel5.0
The right to be stupid is inalienable for sure however, there is no such thing as a right to impose stupidity onto others
Great Thoughts will Overwhelm a Feeble Mind
There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over.
Knowledge based on external evidence is unreliable.
He, who doesn't ask, does not deserve an answer.
A mind is like a parachute it only works when it is open.  (oldmanjoe)
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)
Tuning on a Dyno for the track, is like swim practice in a bathtub.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you. (90lxcoupe)
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it. (H. Torruella)
Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic.
Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it. (Samuel Johnson)
The chaotic resistance of the opponents leads to the conclusion that they are not prepared to meet the challenge. The problem is already much more psychological then technological. [Bojidar Djordjev]
Individuals are rational and humane... Crowds are reactionary and barbaric. (Jason)
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. –Chinese Proverb
Nothing sways the stupid more than arguments they can't understand - Cardinal de Retz
RICK65COMET
4 Banger

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 11:03:30 am »

I've run it with the belts removed, no change.
I like the clip of your engine!
to be honest if my exhaust was that loud I wouldn't be able to hear the tick, maybe that's worth trying lol.
Bossman
Small Block

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 08:52:45 pm »

Sound clip would help immensely.  

Sound anything like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avd6ZxOfdbQ

Not mine but dealing with a similar issue.  Funny how open header guys don't hear any ticks.  
Haystack
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 11:43:54 pm »

I have about 318k miles on my 86, and it makes noise for a second or two on start up. I've only owned since about 290k miles, but i am pretty sure everything is original. It uses almost much oil as gas.

1987 Ford thunderbird. sn-95 t-5, f-150 clutch and flywheel behind a 5.0 s.o. weighs about 3500lbs.
1986 cougar gs. 5.0 s.o. and aod.
RICK65COMET
4 Banger

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 03:44:26 pm »

thanks for the clip bossman, no it doesn't sound like that engine. I would say that all of his valves are noisey, possibly all out of adjustment. low oil pressure etc.
Mine is quiet at times to a few random ticks here and there. it's worse when hot and at certain rpms. 
i'll try and get a clip when I have a chance. thanks for the help. Rick.
RICK65COMET
4 Banger

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 11:01:33 am »

here's a clip.
http://youtu.be/HoOB8pBXGkg
Jeff351w
Big Block

393 build & new trans in progress

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 01:56:27 pm »

Can't watch it without signing in.  It is labeled private.

Quote from: mighty mouse

I often have tires with just too much tread or a fuel tank that is just too full. Accept no substitutes!
RICK65COMET
4 Banger

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 05:19:12 pm »

Sorry, should work now.
69 Merc
The Ricer King
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 05:31:05 pm »

Sorry, should work now.

Nope.

Robert's 1969 Mercury Montego (FordStrokers 408W, QFT 850cfm RQ-AN, Super Victor, 1" aluminum open spacer, CamMotion HR .624"/.609" 251*/256* 108* LSA, 1-3/4"x3-1/2" headers, Dynomax Ultra #17224 mufflers, C6/4R100 trans, 8"/9" 5500 converter, Broader Performance manual V/B, 9" 4.56 Detroit Truetrac, Hoosier Pro Street 31x12.5R15 on 10" rims)

The Merc started here = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,27178.0.html  Now = http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,34648.0.html

Thanks to Jim "Woody" and Nicole Woods @ FordStrokers 408W, Westminster Performance Transmission (W.P.T.) transmissions, TCS Performance converters, Broader Performance valvebodies and last but not least a BIG thanks (always) to my friends here and abroad in the World!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: