Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2018, 05:59:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
435257 Posts in 37267 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Other Ford Engines
| | |-+ Big Block Talk
| | | |-+ 429 block damage help needed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 429 block damage help needed  (Read 14344 times)
chuck90lx
4 Banger

« on: June 15, 2015, 03:24:32 am »

Hello,
I am needing expert advice. Here's the quick and short, not really. The engine is a 429 .030 bore, stock crank (4U cast #) and stock rods (C9AE-6280-B), SCJ Alum heads (M-6049-SCJ). I don't have a whole lot more info, the previous owner died in a tragic accident about 2 years before I bought this for my Dad's 73rd birthday. We had the #2 rod bolt break on a run, about 1/8 mile , 2nd gear approx. 5000RPM  and my Dad shut it down fast, but the rod beat up the bottom of #2 and #6 inside cylinder wall some at the bottom only. The main caps didn't get a single mark and there was only a small ding on the main cap girdle. The crank took the brunt of it. #5 intake valve hit the piston and bent a bit & #6 exhaust valve barely touched the its piston. Had a friend suggest smoothing it out and since it's below the rings and not into the water jacket he'd go for it. On #6 cylinder, 0.9515" of the piston skirt would travel over the damaged are and it would be 1.1415" for #2 cylinder. My issue is that I am NOT ANYWHERE NEAR an expert. I don't want to spend over $2K on a new rotating assembly to have it just get wasted again. Should I find a 460 block to start over with since I already have the SCJ heads, Victor 460 intake, 950 Dominator, etc. Also forgot to mention that it's a 79 Foxbody, C6, ford 9", w/4:30 gears. and much more. I greatly appreciate any help and I apologize for any slow response as I have limited internet access due to working out of town during the week.
Thanks again,
Charlie

Life isn't about arriving at the grave in a well preserved body, you should arrive skidding in sideways, all worn out, screaming "Holy S**t, what a ride!"
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:27 pm »

Welcome Charlie.

The 429 and 460 blocks have the thickest cylinder walls of any Ford, I wouldn't worry about those. Take good care of the rest, replace the other parts, and upgrade to a bigger size if possible. The bores can go about .080 over without checking them, with sonic checking some have gone as far as .160 over.

I'd find a nice set of pistons in the next most feasible size, and get it all rebalanced, and put it back together well. It sounds like something was amiss, and the damage is minor fortunately. Get the rods, heads etc, magnafluxed for sure. Regards,

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
chuck90lx
4 Banger

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 04:48:40 pm »

Thanks for the help!! Here a picture before I cleaned up the bottom of the cylinders. I cleaned them so that the pistons slide through without any interference with movement with any position of the piston. The plan is to buy a complete rotating assembly fully balanced and we'll get the heads magnaflux for sure. It's a 5 hour drive each way for me so my Dad works on it during the week too. Your help is greatly appreciated!

* IMG_20150614_113451966_HDR.jpg (855.29 KB, 1456x2592 - viewed 398 times.)

Life isn't about arriving at the grave in a well preserved body, you should arrive skidding in sideways, all worn out, screaming "Holy S**t, what a ride!"
Paul Kane
4 Banger

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 01:28:20 pm »

... The engine is a 429 .030 bore... We had the #2 rod bolt break... the rod beat up the bottom of #2 and #6 inside cylinder wall some at the bottom only.  Should I find a 460 block to start over...
Charlie

Based on the picture you posted, the internal damage to the block is a non-issue, just blend the damaged area and bore (or maybe only hone) as needed.  If you don't bore, be sure to measure carefully around the damaged area to make sure there are no risers.  It might be wise to check for cracks in the damaged area since the rod was hammering on the bottom of the water jacket.

We have a block similar in appearance to yours and it is now part of a combo generating about 2000 hp.

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
chuck90lx
4 Banger

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 05:08:09 am »

Cool deal, thanks for the reply. Both you guys have helped me keep peace of mind. That's exactly what I did with the bottom of the cylinders. Honed the block last weekend to get the cross hatches back it. My Dad ordered the new rotating assembly today, so I think all we need to do now is get gaskets and heads are already done. Still waiting on the cam but I think we'll get a new one along with lifters. Any suggestions? It will be a 521 when done, C6 w/tranny brake 3600 stall. Would like to have the full power hitting around 4500-5000 so as not to go up in smoke off the line. Planning on calling comp cams when I get home Friday morning. Thanks again!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: