Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 10:46:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435157 Posts in 37249 Topics by 9534 Members
Latest Member: 88_GT
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Library Tech Library Tech
| |-+ Tech Articles/Sticky's Section
| | |-+ Ford EFI Diagrams and Specs
| | | |-+ 3G Alternator Install Tech
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3G Alternator Install Tech  (Read 24035 times)
rob342
Adv_SBFTechie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 09:20:52 pm »

which wire can i remove from the starter solenoid after doing this?

im on my back in a parking lot trying to figure this out. trying not to rush but getting a little nervous.

i have the wires rebundled and relocated to the inner fender, which isn't helping much.

i guess what i need to know is:

should i just run a new fused yellow wire to the solenoid?
and  is there a wire i can/should remove from the solenoid?

white 92GT, with a black interior, pony rims, 5 speed with a 3.73 gear. came with a gear, exhaust, and a powerdyne. nice little cruiser, i didn't change much yet.

have tw170's, systemax II, 75mm accufab, anderson n41, t5z, ford racing 23lb billet flywheel, and a quarterhorse sitting here. cam may change
rob342
Adv_SBFTechie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 01:47:21 pm »

couple notes after using this thread to upgrade:

1 - i re-purposed the factory charge wire. after clipping the blk/org wire, all that is left is the yellow wire that is already routed to the solenoid as a green fusible link. i added the fuse at the solenoid end. this follows your "recommended 3g wiring" diagram perfectly and then there is no reason to route a new wire.

2 - the wht/blk wire connector can be trimmed to fit. a butchered factory connector will fit onto the spade terminal.

3 - if using the larger 3G pulley, a slightly longer belt is required.

an odd question:

any way to make the turn signals slow again? i kinda liked that weird quirk about the car.

picture of trimmed factory connector on the spade terminal:

don't mind that excessively long bolt. i'll trim it. the hardware store was about to close, figured better too long than too short.

and as usual.. THANK YOU Joel for the excellent information and diagrams.

white 92GT, with a black interior, pony rims, 5 speed with a 3.73 gear. came with a gear, exhaust, and a powerdyne. nice little cruiser, i didn't change much yet.

have tw170's, systemax II, 75mm accufab, anderson n41, t5z, ford racing 23lb billet flywheel, and a quarterhorse sitting here. cam may change
Chickenbone
Small Block

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 11:15:12 am »

Here's a few pics of the 3Gs I installed recently.

First is of the Ranger.  I discovered that a replacement alternator for the 1996 F4TE engine I got, fits my '91 Ranger.  I spliced my yellow wire into the charge cable before the starter solenoid.  I did this because I ran out of room on the solenoid.  I should have bought a thinner cable, but I had 2G cable lying around my parent's basement, so that's what I used.

Next is the pics from the Crown Vic install.  I didn't know to splice the yellow wire at the time, so it was/is still routed to the stock location.  When I swap engines, I will correct that oversight.  I got a large case 3G from a local parts store; again, not knowing that I needed the small case.  So I grinded down one of the extra alternator brackets to gain extra adjustment.  Even then, it was a tight squeeze for the belt.

As you can see, I am at best, just a novice.  My question is: in the first pictures posted on the 1st page of this thread.  What is that rubber cover used for the MegaFuse?  Does anybody have a part number for that?  I used a bulky plastic electrical conduit from Home Depot to cover my fuse.  I couldn't find anything else.

Chickenbone
CDW6212R
Big Block

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 02:11:16 pm »

The mega fuse holders should include a cover that fits them, the better ones that is.

Don

1991 Mark VII LSC Special Edition, soon to be OBDII and 4R70W, then GTC body kit and 347.
1998 Mountaineer, plans for A4WD and KB 2200 blower later, XP8 parts, paint and a 332.
1973 Ranchero and 72 Sport front end ...will be a 351 Clevor, EFI and 4R70W.
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 03:05:40 pm »

That isn't actually a Mega-fuse, its a AMG. Good electronics stores and marine supply stores typically have them. Car stereo places also have similar pieces. I use 150 amp circuit breakers.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: