Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2018, 07:05:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435267 Posts in 37272 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Other Ford Engines
| | |-+ Big Block Talk
| | | |-+ 1979 429?'s
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1979 429?'s  (Read 5722 times)
408ciw
6 Banger

« on: May 13, 2015, 08:14:39 pm »

looking at 79 model 429. D9 casting valve cover says 7.0 Litre. I don't think there is anything special about this engine other than it being a big block. It was removed from a large spreader truck. To be honest I didn't know they made a 429 that late.

I was curious if anyone has any experience/knowledge with this year engine. I'm guessing there is aftermarket parts for it. Thinking of maybe a mild street build...I don't know ideas?
quickshift
Big Block

...I'm old as dirt (says Lil joe)

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:31:41 pm »

It's a big truck block. It has a different crank configuration on the accessories end. They came in 370 and 429 sizes. Find a good 460 and stay away from this. You'll save money in the end.

71 Comet, 289,351w heads,RR's,12.5 TRWs,ported torker/750DP, Liberty Top Loader (2.78), 9"/6.00s, tubbed,ladder bars,11.9xs@110 ..bla,bla,bla
84Cougar,88HO,Eddy RPM/700DP, 1.7RRs, shorty's, 8.8/4.10s,T-5/Hurst Pro Billet, K/C clutch...bla,bla,bla

Never shoot your mouth off unless your brain is loaded.   If you're not laughing...you're not living!
Paul Kane
4 Banger

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:48:33 pm »

looking at 79 model 429. D9 casting valve cover says 7.0 Litre. I don't think there is anything special about this engine other than it being a big block. It was removed from a large spreader truck. To be honest I didn't know they made a 429 that late.

I was curious if anyone has any experience/knowledge with this year engine. I'm guessing there is aftermarket parts for it. Thinking of maybe a mild street build...I don't know ideas?
The passenger car 429 engines were produced for 1968-1973 model years.

The 1979 429 you are looking at is a Commercial 429 engine and, while part of the 385 Series engine platform, has numerous differences.  The block is the same as the 1979-up 460s found in F250s (D9TE-AB), but little more is the same (although many parts are technically transferable they are commercial-specific).

If you were to use this as an engine core to rebuild into a stroker or something like that for a Mustang or Torino, you would probably end up retaining the block and most of the fastener hardware; the rest would be throwaway...different pistons, different rods, different crankshaft configuration, different timing cover, etc.

They do have a nice factory forged 429 crankshaft that used to be quite sought after before anyone produced forged stroker crankshaft. These days they are less desired except for someone interested in a short stroke forging for some reason, such as a truck puller.  But in order to use this crank in a passenger car application, the it must have the snout re-machined and the rear flange re-machined into to the passenger car crankshaft specs.

Paul

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: