Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2018, 05:59:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Team Z Motorsports
Tech Section
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
435237 Posts in 37260 Topics by 9537 Members
Latest Member: Mgabski
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ My Community
|-+ Grass Roots Tech
| |-+ Grass Roots Small Block Windsor
| | |-+ typhoon intake porting
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: typhoon intake porting  (Read 27572 times)
rob342
Adv_SBFTechie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 09:42:49 am »

while everyone else in chicagoland was watching the hawks win, i only watched the last minute. i wanted to get rid of the bulge where the bolt passes through. the port on the right is close to finished, the port on the left of it is just roughed in. notice the nice epoxied hole where i went through the intake plenum.  Whistling it's on the bottom. nobody will ever see it.

i'm a little amazed/relieved i didn't break through the brass sleeve i put in. i used brass so i could see it. it fits so tight that i had to heat the intake with a torch and freeze the tube just to be able to pound it in there. i have a little left to remove yet near the top and bottom corners by the sleeve.

trying not to make these too much bigger, just remove the weird bulges an smooth out the misaligned areas. does that sound about right? like this:

i don't really know what i'm doing, but i'm artistic and very detail oriented. it seems easy enough to spot the problem areas. any suggestions on something i should be doing differently, please LMK. i bought this chinese junk to butcher and i'm open minded. i would like it to outperform the real thing when all is said and done.

98% streetcar/my daily driver

also i get a little scared even LOOKING at the lower Unh?

white 92GT, with a black interior, pony rims, 5 speed with a 3.73 gear. came with a gear, exhaust, and a powerdyne. nice little cruiser, i didn't change much yet.

have tw170's, systemax II, 75mm accufab, anderson n41, t5z, ford racing 23lb billet flywheel, and a quarterhorse sitting here. cam may change
tmoss
Big Block

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 10:17:22 am »

You're doing great - keep it up

Tom 88 vert 5spd 3:73 Crower 15511 cam @ 110, 70mm TB, SMII, GT40P wManley race valves Isky Springs and Ti locks/keepers, Mac 1.625 shorties, dumpoed Flowmasters.  www.fastlanecars.com     http://tmossporting.0catch.com/
rob342
Adv_SBFTechie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2016, 10:27:36 am »

I'm still butchering away at this... any insight on how to deal with the #5 runner?

7 of them are going to be this size:

and then the oddball #5 is appx 1/4" wider:

how to i approach that? just sand paper roll it gently? fill it? i'm just curious as i can't imagine that you fill this area with epoxy every time you port these. 

white 92GT, with a black interior, pony rims, 5 speed with a 3.73 gear. came with a gear, exhaust, and a powerdyne. nice little cruiser, i didn't change much yet.

have tw170's, systemax II, 75mm accufab, anderson n41, t5z, ford racing 23lb billet flywheel, and a quarterhorse sitting here. cam may change
rob342
Adv_SBFTechie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2018, 10:37:53 pm »

while i did give up on this thing due to how much fixing was required, i did want to say i have a friend that spent a good amount of time experimenting with the turning vane/flow divider concept. this includes not only adding them to intakes, but also testing factory dividers such as the one found on a PT cruiser  GT plastic intake.

in ALL cases the flow divider worked well in low air speed testing, but when flow increased, the air became VERY turbulent and the maximum flow (and power levels on the dyno) decreased.

also i still have this intake if anyone here feels like messing with it. i had it on CL for a case of beer last summer, and didn't get any replies. lol

BCOWANWHEELS
6 Banger

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2018, 09:25:22 pm »

IF IT WAS ME I,D USE A MILLING MACHINE, IT WOULD BE DEAD ON THAT WAY.

I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 04:30:34 pm »

i had it on CL for a case of beer last summer, and didn't get any replies. lol

Spt at PC  That's too funny!

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 07:12:08 pm »

also i still have this intake if anyone here feels like messing with it. i had it on CL for a case of beer last summer, and didn't get any replies. lol

PM David Claflin and/or Mr Blue. This sounds like something they'd use.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
David Claflin
Adv_SBFTechie
Big Block

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 09:31:01 am »

I had one that came on this wagon I picked up, sold it for $250, and then paid $90 to ship it to north Dakota. Put it up on corral someone will buy it.

1990 Red LX, 306, 80MM, ported gt40's, ported explorer upper accufab longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.30's, 336/331
1985 LTD LX 347, 205 11R's, TFS-R, 90MMTB, MAC 1 3/4" longtubes, 4R70W, mach 1 brakes
1988 GT long term project
rob342
Adv_SBFTechie
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2018, 08:04:03 pm »

PM David Claflin and/or Mr Blue. This sounds like something they'd use.

with as much as i've ground out of four holes, this thing would require someone to ruin their life to finish it. looking back, i found the problem:

leave it be and save your money for a better manifold.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^  i read that, and failed to listen    Whistling

comparing my systemax II to this intake, it's immediately apparent

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: