Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2018, 07:21:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
TRADER Feedback System
IS NOW AVAILABLE
* SBFTECH Membership Required *
434528 Posts in 37192 Topics by 9526 Members
Latest Member: notchbackjoe
Search: Advanced search
Advertiser Inquiries
+ SBFTECH.com Experienced Small Block Ford Tech
|-+ Small Block Talk
| |-+ Small Block Windsors
| | |-+ Finally got a motor
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finally got a motor  (Read 10322 times)
AutoXCougar
6 Banger

« on: April 10, 2015, 11:07:33 pm »

So after lots of debating, I decided a 306 would serve me better then some nasty Stroker motor. Being that most of my budget for my build woul be spent on the motor and then I'm stuck with no way to put the power down.

the motor I ended up with apparently once belonged to a guy named brad who builds custom carbs under Madix racing carbuerators.

It's a dss 306 studded and girdled
Trick flow track heat 170/61cc heads
1.6 roller rockers
Anderson N71 camahaft
MSD dist
Victor jr intake
Madix 650 holley hp carb.

Went for a test drive in the car and it ran great pulled really hard for being in a car with a SROD some questionable spark plug wires and carb slightly out of tune. I'm going to clean it up, repaint the block, re seal it and possibly de-cam the motor.
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 01:43:14 am »

Congratulations on finding a used motor that makes you happy. 

Some people tend to forget that you have to build the car up with the additional power you plan to make.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
Jeff351w
Big Block

393 build & new trans in progress

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 01:47:43 am »

Congrats, but odd the carbs out of tune for a guy that builds custom racing carbs.   Hmmmmm

Quote from: mighty mouse

I often have tires with just too much tread or a fuel tank that is just too full. Accept no substitutes!
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 02:52:44 am »

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.

This motor slated for the cougar?

1974 f100, 347
AutoXCougar
6 Banger

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 11:06:04 am »

Congrats, but odd the carbs out of tune for a guy that builds custom racing carbs.   Hmmmmm

I should probably elaborate.

Motor was bought in a two motor package deal. The motor was then sold to a customer who then had it installed and apparently everything was perfect. Well the new owner of this motor then had a distributor installed by a different shop and they went to "dial everything in" the car never ran as good as it first did.

Long story short the guy I bought the motor from was the original installer and he got the car with the motor I purchased and another complete car in a trade cause this guy wanted a stroked cobra he had.

We dialed the carb fairly well ,adjusted and set the curve and timing and got it to where I can test drive it. I have followed this motor from owner to owner talking to everyone along the way but passed it up a while back cause I was in pursuit of a nasty Stroker.

But in the end motors unbolt and are easy to replace and the fact that all the extra stuff I got with it that I don't need can be sold and I'll have a carb to pan motor for about $2300.00 vs the $8k or so I was looking at plus still needing intake and carb.

Pulled the carb last night and looked down the runners and the intake and heads have been gasket matched.

Going to clean it up, swap oil pans, probably put a new blueprinted oil pump on at the same time. Swap valve covers, clean the intake up, re seal everything but the head gaskets and put it in.

I just picked up a very low mileage TKo 600 so hopefully I can get going on this final now that the drivetrain is situated. Yes this will go in the cougar.

Now to get a hold of the original owner to get an idea of what Pistons it has.
blue04.5
Stroked Small Block

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:05:20 pm »

Nice, good luck on both your motor and transmission swap.
Have any pictures of your car?

1974 f100, 347
347HO
A-1 Super Genious / Director of Maintenance
Section Moderator
Big Block

I believe they landed on the moon.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:06:33 pm »

Not exactly sure but...  I think you may need a different transmission brace.
With mine, the mount holes didn't line up so I fabricated one that fit.

I have a Mustang, so my information my not be applicable to you.

... it was REALLY revving at like 4K...
If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
juiced coupe
Six figures worth of don't give a f*ck
Global Moderator
Big Block

The land mass between New Orleans and Mobile

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 04:36:15 pm »

Be sure that the heads have upgraded valve springs. A N-71 is a pretty nasty cam for a 306. Its going to want to be turned up. If everything is correct, I'd expect shift points around 7000, maybe a little higher.

Doing more with less, or something like that.
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,20009.0.html

Quote from: Monte Smith
Bottom line, if it was the hot ticket, the fast guys would do it.............they don't

You might need some Titanium rods and a flow bench!  LMAO on floor

I honestly don't get it.

I'm sweating, my heart is racing, my clutch foot is twichin', and my right arm punched the computer screen doing an involentary 2-3 shift while reading all that. 
AutoXCougar
6 Banger

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 10:28:29 pm »

Be sure that the heads have upgraded valve springs. A N-71 is a pretty nasty cam for a 306. Its going to want to be turned up. If everything is correct, I'd expect shift points around 7000, maybe a little higher.

That's why I want to de-cam the car somewhat. More then likely a custom grind of some sort. I have kinda browsed at a few comp cams but I'm not doing anything until I make an effort to get a hold of the original owner (madix custom carbs) and see if he can provide any info on C/R.

I'm already aware of the custom crossmember needed. I'm actually going to send the gear box to moderndriveline for some shifting upgrades and case modification so that I can shim the tranny to the correct driveline angle.
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 09:56:06 am »

Interesting...
I didn't know there was a knuckle coupler option for the input shaft...
Or any option to change the angle of the input from the output...

If I saw that thing in my rear view Im pulling over to let you by, I be scared of that thing Huh? i dont know wich car is uglier ur or mine?
Javier
Ugly?  Easy now -- that's my baby and it's got lots of unique character!  When I drop that built 445" stroker in it you won't have any time to "pull over to let me pass" because I'll have already blown past you when you figure out what the hell was that loud noise behind you . . .  
AutoXCougar
6 Banger

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 10:12:39 pm »

Well to my understanding when installing a TKo in 67-70 cars mustang or cougar aftermarket cross members tilt the tranny at a steeper angle to get the box to clear in the tunnel. If at the correct angle from factory the TKo would hit the cross brace. So in order to maintain the correct driveline angle you either A. Notch the brace or B. Have Bruce at modern driveline do some case modifications to give you some clearance so that the tranny output can be shimmed to the factory angle. Bruce has a great article on the modern driveline website where he is now selling a modified TKO that fits sunbeam tiger with no modification.
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 11:03:28 pm »

Ah...   I understand.

I just made some quick changes to a factory trans mount which works really well and no mods to the trans.
I lowered my engine and moved it aft a few inches...
I also have almost zero pinion angle and will have to change ujoints more often because the engine is lower.

Javier
289nate
"IL BUONO"
Global Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 11:22:54 am »

Bruce has a great article on the modern driveline website where he is now selling a modified TKO that fits sunbeam tiger with no modification.

Wow!  That's good to know.

\'65 fastback pump gas 289, 4.56 gears, and faceplated T5.  11.123 at 122.4
AutoXCougar
6 Banger

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 08:13:18 pm »

The DSE front end will allow me to lower the motor also, but with a deep sump pan and how low the car will be, I'd prefer to keep everything tucked as high as possible so $400 extra is worth it to me for zero headache.

289nate if you have facebook checkout Shaun who owns Street or Track. He is doing one of the case modified TKO's in an early 65/66 mustang and it looks like the modifications are minimal.
347HO
Section Moderator
Big Block

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 08:45:23 pm »

The DSE front end will allow me to lower the motor also, but with a deep sump pan and how low the car will be, I'd prefer to keep everything tucked as high as possible so $400 extra is worth it to me for zero headache.

289nate if you have facebook checkout Shaun who owns Street or Track. He is doing one of the case modified TKO's in an early 65/66 mustang and it looks like the modifications are minimal.
LOL....
That's what I get...  I assumed you were setting up for AutoX and track, not drag racing...

Javier
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: